• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Official GTX 670 thread***

Permabanned
that is exactly what I meant... if your finances are so tight that after covering the basics you never have any money for yourself...

I have all those costs you speak of yet still find a couple of hundred for myself here and there

:D

I'd sacrifice my whole rig if it meant my kids getting a new set of golf clubs or going on a holiday that will create a lifelong memory for them.
You seem to have missed my point on priority. I could afford any kit I wanted but wouldn't as I prioritise.
You on the other hand don't sound like you need to PRIORITISE as you can do all the above AND afford new kit.

So bully for you.

Hopefully you won't fall on harder times as I did when I lost my job and you won't have to prioritise to the same extent.

Anyhoo, isn't the internet amazing ?
One guy makes one little joke about marriage (Tarbuck style) and some random other makes assumptions of the other guy and suggests the guy has over stretched himself financially.

:p

Soldato
Cheap (ish) Kepler set for Release May 10th.

With several units already released 'on the quiet', early looks at the '670 have starting coming in and by all accounts this is a card set to shake things up. The Nvidia GTX 670 not only bests the HD 7950 as expected, but also appears to pull convincingly ahead of the HD 7970; this would leave AMD's fastest playing catch-up with Nvidia’s second fastest (single) GPU.
The hardware comes in as predicted; Nvidia's latest puppy being armed with 1344 ‘CUDA cores’ married to 2GB of GDDR5 via a 256-bit bus. Reference clocks appear to be 915 MHz base / 996MHz boost, with the memory running at the same 6008 MHz speed as in the GTX 680. The biggest surprise of Nvidia’s Kepler pudding then, is simply how it appears to perform. Tweaktown, unfettered by any NDAs (Non-Disclosure Agreements) with Nvidia, has already taken the card through its paces on beta drivers. Normalising these results to the HD 7970 shows Nvidia beating out AMD in six of eight tested games:

http://i.haymarket.net.au/Utils/Ima...et.net.au/News/GPU+Speeds+May+2012+v2.jpg&c=0

No hotlinking.. Please rehost before replacing image tags - thank you.

This does mesh with what we've seen from other sources and seems to indicate a very solid win for Kepler, which is without doubt a more efficient architecture than its AMD competition. Some significant questions do remain however around price; we may never be sure what proportion of manufactured Kepler cores are imperfect and thus how expensive each Nvidia part truly is to make. The proportion that are fully usable (the 'yield') is an extremely closely guarded secret, but suggestions swirl that a lot less Keplers are viable as compared with AMD's Southern Islands cores. Part of the beauty (and the main reason for the existence) of 'cut-down' cards like this however is that they are designed to only use a majority of the core - in this case seven of the eight 'SMX clusters' As with previous generations, imperfect cores will likely be 'recycled' for use in the GTX 670. Thus somewhat ironically because of lower yields on the GTX 680 there is more potential for good '670. This seems strengthened by the amount of stock confirmed in stores and apparently occasionally bursting out of them to reach customers' hands early, not to mention the relatively low (sub 7970) price they commanded.

The only real caveat to a win by the GTX 670 then is that these results are 'at stock speeds’. The Tahiti core in the HD 7970 and 7950 is renowned for overclocking, with 20 plus percent improvements over stock being common. We’ve previously reported that AMD has plans to lift the stock speed of the HD 7970 to 1GHz, which makes sense as a direct response by the Red Team to Nvidia's latest. These 'GHz edition' HD 7970s should be able to equal the '670. While it is certainly good to see AMD making more of the performance of its top GPU available for those who prefer not to tinker, it could be better for existing 7970 owners. These improvements likely won't be delivered via driver update, but rather with revised hardware and BIOS'. Although potentially miffing (i.e probably angering) current owners, on the positive side AMD's new GHz edition 7970 should be capable of further overclocking given their improved silicon. This is important as the GTX 670 will likely be a capable overclocker should Nvidia not artificially restrict it.

Atomic has contacted AMD querying whether existing 7970s will be 'updated' and as to dates. Their response was a decisive 'no comment' on (although implicitly by wording a confirmation of) any GHz edition, possibly to not dissuade people from buying their current stock models. Overall Atomic considers it very unlikely that existing 7970s will be sped up by AMD; a revised HD 7970 that matches the GTX 670 and some displeased early-adopting AMD customers caught in the middle is the likely lay of the land once the dust settles.

As a last twist - there is a possible resolution to exactly why the '670 PCIe power connectors appear mid-card, rather than towards the end as is traditional. In short it appears the entire end quarter of the card may be made of a fan surrounded by empty space. This would be something of a first for reference cards and it does clash with previous PCB shots, so for now some sense of mystery does remain (which of course keeps the magic alive).

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/News/299711,nvidia8217s-gtx-670-apparently-faster-than-amds-entire-lineup.aspx

Permabanned
Where are all the 'theres no difference between 7970 and GK104' people at today I wonder?

Probably spending the rest of the week to try and invent reasons for why the 7970 is better :p

Back
Top Bottom