• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Accidentally booted mine into windows at 4.0Ghz on the stock wraith spire cooler.

Luckily I was checking a ram overclock and noticed the high cpu temp and then the clock speed. Shut it down straight away.

:eek:

Caporegime
I would be shocked if AMD release anything that is 5ghz at stock in a few months, especially with 24 threads in their mainstream line up for ~£300! It would be a massive leap in the cpu space and would potentially destroy Intel's entire line up. I am not expecting stock clocked 5ghz stuff from AMD until Ryzen 2 in 2019/2020.

Soldato
The twelve cores/5GHz stuff is laughably fake. I'd be satisfied with an eight core that could hit 4.4-4.5GHz. Anything less than that would be pretty disappointing. A 10% boost in clocks shouldn't be too much to ask from a refresh on a revised process. Ideally paired with an improved IMC that can handle the same sort of RAM speeds that even budget Intel chips can use without breaking a sweat these days.

Associate
You can tell the crappy outlets from the good ones based on which picked up that unverified 5.1Ghz story, all based on a single photoshopped slide from months ago: http://archive.is/pRSaD http://archive.is/MoY00
So far I count KitGuru, Hothardware, TweakTown and some random youtubers. Out of all of them, the most disappointing is Hothardware since they used to put out good content, now they stooped down to rumor regurgitation.

Soldato
The twelve cores/5GHz stuff is laughably fake. I'd be satisfied with an eight core that could hit 4.4-4.5GHz. Anything less than that would be pretty disappointing. A 10% boost in clocks shouldn't be too much to ask from a refresh on a revised process. Ideally paired with an improved IMC that can handle the same sort of RAM speeds that even budget Intel chips can use without breaking a sweat these days.

+1 to this

Soldato
Ideally paired with an improved IMC that can handle the same sort of RAM speeds that even budget Intel chips can use without breaking a sweat these days.

Part of the issue with RAM speeds is the DF clock working on a fixed divider/multiplier of the MEMCLK. So the DF will have to be strong enough to support the higher MEMCLK, unless they implemented a variable divider/multiplier by way of a ratio.

Soldato
It' just a refresh, 200-300mhz max imo. So 4.4 XFR, good models 4.3 on all cores, average 4.1-4.2.:p
The only thing that makes me think there's a chance of them clocking higher than 4.3-4.4 GHz is the slide comparing the two nodes, with the 14 nm process described as "3 GHz" and the 12 nm one described as "up to 5 GHz" or something. Obviously Ryzen clocks much higher than 3 GHz (albeit with a significant jump in power usage beyond 3.5 GHz or so), and if they could do that on a node supposedly designed to run at around 3 GHz, it might not be a stretch to assume 5 GHz or so on 12 nm is possible. We'll see though.

Soldato

+ 1 definitely, Ryzen 1800X refresh hitting 4.50GHz on all cores would be immense.

Permabanned
+ 1 definitely, Ryzen 1800X refresh hitting 4.50GHz on all cores would be immense.

That'd be a nice improvement, I ended up grabbing a 1600x this time so if they offer an 8 core hitting 4.4 on all cores I'll grab one straight away,

I'm not sure why KitGuru was giving the 5.1 ghz 12 core screenshot such credence, Someone in his position shouldn't be caught out like that especially seeing as it's not even a new so called leak. He should be aware of everything PC on the web, If he can't do that he needs to go and get a real job.

Associate
Expectations should be tempered a little bit since GF 12nm is their 14nm with stricter design rules, optimistically it's going to be similar to the Skylake (14nm) to Kaby Lake (14nm+) jump.
I'm guessing Ryzen gen 2 is just a revision to fix some of the erratas, some improvements for the IMC/IF and hopefully a clock bump. Overall it should be a marginal improvement over Ryzen and I reckon it wouldn't make sense to "upgrade" from Ryzen to Ryzen gen 2.
The bigger upgrade should be Zen 2/Ryzen gen 3?

Soldato
I'd say the 5ghz expectations are rather to far. With the pack on this one with 4.4/4.5 expected. It wouldn't be too silly (on a current state of things) to see AMD release an R9 to blow raspberries at the i9 with more cores/etc, otherwise I'd expect a pretty similar lineup with speedbumps, IMC improvements and bug fixes all rounds.

Soldato
morning guys if anyone can post some screen shots to help it be most helpful

im currently running my ryzen 5 1600 ax370 gamming 5 dark pro 16gb 3200mhz ram with a gigabyte windforece 7950 and cooler master masterliquid 240 lite aio cooler

i have set my xmp to profile 1 3200 settings @ 1.35 volts. but am unsure what to set cpu at and the other settings.

overclocking is a new thing for me, but after watching a overclockers twitch the other night and asking the question does overclocking invalid the warranty and they said no its doesn't. I would like to attempt it, but I know a few own the same board as me but it finding a suitable settings for mine.

have a good day all

I would just stick it up to 3.8ghz and try leave everything on auto. You may need to increase the ram voltage to 1.4v.

You can try push for 3.9 or even 4.0ghz but that is when you need to start messing with a few more settings...I currently have my Ryzen @ 3.8ghz and 3200mhz ram speed and solid.

Associate
I would just stick it up to 3.8ghz and try leave everything on auto. You may need to increase the ram voltage to 1.4v.

You can try push for 3.9 or even 4.0ghz but that is when you need to start messing with a few more settings...I currently have my Ryzen @ 3.8ghz and 3200mhz ram speed and solid.

managed to get 3.8ghz and ram set at 3200 with 1.35v, stress test for 2 hours no problems

Soldato
managed to get 3.8ghz and ram set at 3200 with 1.35v, stress test for 2 hours no problems

Great, mine seemed fine until I played Battlefield 1 and used to get random blue screens. If you get similar try upping the volts to 1.4 and should solve any stability problems.

Associate
Great, mine seemed fine until I played Battlefield 1 and used to get random blue screens. If you get similar try upping the volts to 1.4 and should solve any stability problems.

nope no problems spend 4 hours on shadow of war and not a thing

YOU 3494
Intel Xeon E5-1650 v4 3408
AMD Ryzen 5 1600X 3392
Intel Core i7-6850K 3380
Intel Core i7-7800X 3375

that was cpu validator

Soldato
Hey guys, just got my rig running and having a go at overclocking the cpu.

Its a Ryzen 1600, Asrock fatality itx board and 8pack 3200MHz ram.

Firstly I've set the ram to XMP which gets it runnig at 3200 with cl14 timings however the system boot loops 3 or 4 times before starting.
I'm not sure if I should have AM4 boot training enabled or dissabled?
I also found a setting in the DRAM settings for "fail boot attempts" Which was set to 3. I've since set it to 1 and now it only loops once but I cant get it to stop completely.

As for the overclocking as I'm on an ITX board with tiny Vrams and higher temps I'm not looking to do any thing crazy. I'd be happy with a slight overclock with out bumping the voltage up much if at all.
Currently running 3600MHz on stock volts (1.2) with voltage offset to Auto.

How far do you think I can push it on stock voltage?
Also do I want c6 state on or off for Ryzen?

sorry for noob questions I've not done any overclocking for years, last time was on my fx8320.

cheers.

Back
Top Bottom