• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Ok, so not stable at 3.95/2666 yet. Was doing some encoding overnight when it bombed after several hours.

Will set memory to stock and do again tonight.

How to remove a PGA cooler:

1: Undo any fixings securing cooler to board.
2: Grab cooler and twist slightly to break bond of TIM.
3: Pull cooler off leaving chip in place.

Kids today... :P

How to remove a PGA cooler:

1: Undo any fixings securing cooler to board.
2: Grab cooler and twist slightly to break bond of TIM.
3: Pull cooler off leaving chip in place.

Kids today... :p

While on AMD sockets.
3: Pull cooler off leaving chip in place and remove the chip from the cooler with extra care to not smear paste on the pins.

I'm going to test this 120mm duct to cool my VRMs.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1492961

7212975b9d84d58f149fa3021cf3331f_preview_feature.jpg

Finished my water loop over the weekend:

gNpuVYu.png

With the R7 1700 overclocked to 3.9GHz (1.344v) with the Shadow Rock Slim I had in before I was having the issue of the PC going into thermal shutdown at 78C (according to the monitors) after 3 minutes encoding a video. With the water loop in it maxed and stayed at 61C for the 26 minutes it took to finish the encode. As a comparison, on my old i5-4690k (4.4GHz, DDR3-2133) it took 60 minutes to get to 28% on the same video encode before I got bored and cancelled it.

Build log if interested. http://imgur.com/a/KCxk6

I will probably update to the new BIOS that came out for my board last week, but since it's still a beta BIOS and the only issue I'm having with the PC is that sometimes it seems it doesn't keep the correct time when I shut it off I'm not rushing into it.

Damn. That setup sounds perfect for your needs if you are doing video encoding work.

Curious about the 78c shutdown though, that seems a really low temp. I thought Ryzen could go much higher than that?

Not sure. After it happened I did some looking around and found people saying the thermal shutdown might be around 75c, but I'm not sure on that since others reported getting higher temps than that. It's also possible my thermal readings aren't completely accurate, as I'm still on the launch BIOS for my board, the Ryzen Master utility might have been off on temps. I had thought it might be I didn't have enough voltage for the overclock, but considering it completed fine now with the same settings I'm assuming it was the temperature doing it.

78c was what it was hitting after 3 minutes of encoding when I was still running my Shadow Rock Slim air cooler in a less than optimal orientation. With the water cooler it maxes at 61c during 26 minutes of encoding at 3.9GHz.

Last edited:
Dropped lucky in MM
Quick bit of advise from a G5 owner, Windows 10 can't install the Killer NIC driver so make sure to use the Intel NIC when setting up the system, and if you want it installed instead of being a giant yellow triangle in device manager you cannot install the driver by itself as it's integrated into the bloatware installer (and the installer will actually crash if you uncheck the bloatware lol).

The only way I found to do it, was to install the bloatware, then copy the driver out of system32/drivers, then uninstall the bloatware (which uninstalls the driver too >.>) then reinstall the driver via device manager.

Back
Top Bottom