** Official ** Season 2010/2011 Pre-Season thread

Thing with Berbatov is because of the way SAF likes us to line up he'll never really be given the chance to reproduce his Spurs form because he wont be first choice week in week out which I think he needs to hit the 20 goal mark again and even if Rooney is out and Berba plays I think even then he still needs someone else up there with him as he's not your typical number 9

I just dont think he'll ever fit into the Man Utd style of play, unfortunate because at Spurs he looked like one of the best strikers in the world

Berba may have the best 1st touch around, may even improve his workrate (the only thing about his game that he can do himself thats lacking), and will probably start the first few EPL games - but how long can the club carry him?

Remember this is the last summer we will get any huge amount for him (if he doesnt start scoring), and IF we have to rely on him in some games to come off the bench.....surely we need someone who has the confidence in themselves (like Kiko /Hernandes or even Owen) rather than Berba

I wouldnt think twice IF we can persuade Walther Bremmen to accept Berba as part payment for Ozil (ok I know Im dreaming but you never know):)

I really do not understand your logic of loaning out an older, more experienced player instead of a younger, less experienced player. But then again, the majority of the rubbish you post makes no sense whatsoever -- just pure stubborness. Consider this the last ever "debate" I have with you. :p

Berba may have the best 1st touch around, may even improve his workrate (the only thing about his game that he can do himself thats lacking), and will probably start the first few EPL games - but how long can the club carry him?

Remember this is the last summer we will get any huge amount for him (if he doesnt start scoring), and IF we have to rely on him in some games to come off the bench.....surely we need someone who has the confidence in themselves (like Kiko /Hernandes or even Owen) rather than Berba

I wouldnt think twice IF we can persuade Walther Bremmen to accept Berba as part payment for Ozil (ok I know Im dreaming but you never know):)

I would love to see ozil at united, was my favourite player at the world cup. Looks skilful with a good awareness of those around him on both teams. That is where we are weakest, in the middle of the pitch. I would love to see owen hargreaves come back into the middle but it is increasingly looking like he will have retire.

I don't know why you're bringing up the idea of a "season ticket" TV card and saying that it was supported by all 20 Premiership clubs at the time - if it were supported by all 20 clubs, it would have been ratified.

That's if it were even a plausible idea in the first place. Do you have any links to back it up?? It's not something I'd heard about before - certainly not something that any of the smaller clubs in the premiership would have supported. I'm aware that some of the large clubs would have liked it; but it would have created a system like they have in Spain where Real Madrid and Barcelona get ridiculous TV deals and the other clubs are left with the scraps.

I brought it up because it was in Skys initial plans for football coverage and its an idea I like just as much now as I did then, would like to see it happen, it was ratified by all the premiership chairman but the FA ruled it out. Things can get ratified by the clubs and then get overriden by the FA you know.

I'm afraid I dont have any links as it was nearly 20 years ago it was covered quite a bit at the time by the media, Sky News did an hour long special on its impact hyping it up, you must remember that surely? I dont remember the exact year, it was something like 1991 or 1992. As for the smaller clubs I've already told you that all the premiership sides at the time agreed on the idea. Why would it have created different TV deals? Every match is "watched" by Sky as it is now and we watch them on Football First, the only difference with their original idea is that the viewer was also able to buy an additional box card which allowed them to view their clubs matches live. Everyone had the same deal, so dont see why you think that one clubs deal would have been different to anothers.

I would love to see ozil at united, was my favourite player at the world cup. Looks skilful with a good awareness of those around him on both teams. That is where we are weakest, in the middle of the pitch. I would love to see owen hargreaves come back into the middle but it is increasingly looking like he will have retire.

totally agree on both counts (and this season is the last year on OH's initial contract, so either way I cant see him getting a contract extention - given that he is unlikely to play before Xmas with the best will in the world)

We have missed him for two years severely - we really need to do something about it this summer (doesnt look like we will though)

I really do not understand your logic of loaning out an older, more experienced player instead of a younger, less experienced player. But then again, the majority of the rubbish you post makes no sense whatsoever -- just pure stubborness. Consider this the last ever "debate" I have with you. :p

He has a point, Walcott believes his own hype yet he has so far failed to deliver much at all. Loaning him out would give him a shock to the system and hopefully make him step it up a notch.

Is the grasshoppers match on tv tonight? The al halil match was supposed to be live on Liverpool tv before it was cancelled, but checked the listings and it doesn't look like they are showing the grasshoppers one live?

Didn't get a chance to see the Arsenal game, how did the new defender and Chamakh do??

Kozza the new defender played OK, had trouble in the air but I'm not going to read into it as Vermaelen had problems in pre-season.

Chamakh didn't really have a chance to prove himself, played ok and had a shot on goal (straight at the keeper) but nothing special so far.

Currently

Arsenal 1
SK Sturm Graz 0

Nasri with the goal!

Is the grasshoppers match on tv tonight? The al halil match was supposed to be live on Liverpool tv before it was cancelled, but checked the listings and it doesn't look like they are showing the grasshoppers one live?

Nope, it's being shown at 9pm iinm. All friendly matchest were going to be on LFCTV but with Setanta going bust and LFCTV becoming free to air, they're now showing most of the friendly games online only.

Nope, it's being shown at 9pm iinm. All friendly matchest were going to be on LFCTV but with Setanta going bust and LFCTV becoming free to air, they're now showing most of the friendly games online only.

Ah, no probs, I see its on setanta ireland live, so am watching it on that

Try reading what I said then, Theo, is CRAP, I'd prefer if we won't get shot of him, that someone else pays his wages. Wilshire is MILES ahead of Theo in quality, he would improve the team if he started games, therefore loaning him out is madness. Age has nothing to do with , quite literally, anything. You don't only loan out young players, you loan out those who could improve, or those you can't get rid of or trying to save cash.

The only reason I said loan Theo, is that he walks around, and talks, like he's the greatest winger at Arsenal, maybe, just maybe, being loaned out to a championship club, and him still failing to score, might just make him realise he's playing like a pile of turd, and actually put some effort in.

Wilshire is hands down miles ahead of Theo, he's a better shot(neither have a great shot at this point), he's a massively better passer, he's far stronger on the ball, he's better defensively, he puts in more effort in every game he plays, he's got vision and the "football brain" that Theo doesn't and won't ever have.

If he's 16, or 65, he's still a better player than Theo, so rather than start Theo in 20-30 games this year and loan out Wilshire, I'd swap the players over.

At this stage, personally, I might give Theo a few games as a striker ahead of someone like Bendtner, or look to sell him, he's a ruddy awful winger.

If anyones watching the Stumgraz game, Theo is again completely hopeless, worst player on the pitch for either side, hasn't found an Arsenal player for a pass yet, hasn't made a tackle, hasn't done anything, except jog towards a few balls. He's crap, and lazy.

Or just irritate and depress him.

Who cares, he either picks up his idea's, works hard and eventually gets better, or he should quit football. I don't think we should continue paying a crap footballer 60k a week, because he's English, and even worse, playing him in important games. If he fails at a championship club on loan, he should be depressed, and then hopefully realise he's not as good as he thinks he is, and tries to get better. Right now he's an absolute joke, he underhits passes, puts no effort into holding off any players. He's had a half dozen balls played in behind and if a defender comes close he slows down to a jog, I've not once EVER seen him run full speed trying to hold a defender off. You'll notice players like Messi are tiny, but very hard to knock off the ball, and plenty other tiny players do the same, Theo just see's a defender and backs off, he won't ever be good enough if he's scared to try. Right now he's an utter waste of 60k a week and taking time from better players who could be on the pitch.

Wilshire, Ramsey, Eduardo, Vela are leagues ahead of Theo in quality, who offers next to nothing, and once in every 20 games will get a goal, wooo.

Last edited:
Yep, i hope nasri can carry this form into the EPL and remain consistent. Theo isn't a winger by trade, he's a central striker being played out of position, he's still pants though, i would start Wilshere ahead of him any day but wenger wouldn't even dream of it! He also need to learn how to cross and cut in properly.

Also Wilshere and Arshavin look to have a really good understanding on the field, much like Arsh does with Fabregas and RvP. Wilshere is a little bit in and out of the game but you can see he has huge amounts of ability. Very exciting prospect, similar to a young Iniesta, would be nice if he went that way

Yes it's ATVO only but i'm watching it on a stream.

Chamakh, Arshavin, RvP, Wilshere and Fabregas looks like a fantastic attacking force! Not to sure about Denilson/Diaby, Sagna, Clichy and Koscielny in defence though.

Back
Top Bottom