******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Wow, touched a nerve there did I?

I'm sorry but I'm well aware how this game is being funded. I'm all for the whole kick starter pledge system, but not for paying £200 for a ship in the game.

Not at all, I just don't get the whole "I think it's this way, so I'll not look into it" Especially when you consider that Elite: Dangerous had a high cost of alpha access and they didn't drop beta access much either. Star Citizen let's you in on the game development for as little as $20 if you time it right and $45 if you just pop on and pledge 24/7.

That's all you have to pay, nothing more. If you do pay more all you get is a space ship others can earn in game at release, again nothing special. There is no pay to win here, the game will be PLAY to win as those with the time will, like in Eve Online and just about every MMO I've ever seen be the ones to beat.

I'd rather recruit you as an additional backer for the game than turn you away. So here goes:

If you think you may be interested in the game, buy a $6 skin and start accumulating the backer rewards, if at a later date you decide you want to fully back the game and get a copy you can reclaim that $6 and use it as store credit against the retail cost of the game, or if you buy it before release get the retail copy and a starter ship.

Regarding pay2win (which comes up a lot from those who haven't followed the development process) - Nothing you can buy can't be earned in game and as I've stated already those with TIME will dominate, even post-live any in-game money that can be bought is capped so it doesn't influence the game and other stuff is all cosmetic, heck most of the items.

Lastly if it's pay to win why is it that with the REC system you get rewarded for playing in the alpha/beta phases? You can use the REC points to rent out equipment, test stuff out etc. Not a penny has to be paid extra for this.

I'm a massive fan of Star Citizen, but I'm also a fan of Elite:Dangerous, these games compliment each other pretty well - it's not as if they're competing for players after all.

Want to know more? here's the features list:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/103019/squadron-42-star-citizen-feature-list

Actually just to toss this in - I'm a kickstarter backer of Elite, I get a free upgraded Cobra MK III whenever I start a new game, that gave me a head start in the public universe, I still dont' consider that pay to win, but many do.

Last edited:
We're not pirates but we don't stop members doing it - just don't get all of us into bother* We're mostly interested in having fun, trying to kill each other (past experience every time I play with this lot) and cursing each other.

We're aiming to be self sufficient, taking everything from raw materials right up to making our own equipment and of course making the most out of it with overclocking. The org lore is based on OCUK essentially - Planet of the apes style with us 900 years in the future and all tech obsessed overclocking fanatics!

*too much bother - some is always fun but we don't want to have members chased constantly by "good orgs" for simply being members.

Sounds good....and a bit less Pirate hardcore!

Whats the proccess in terms of signing up?

I have a Retaliator and a Ghost so far.

Not at all, I just don't get the whole "I think it's this way, so I'll not look into it" Especially when you consider that Elite: Dangerous had a high cost of alpha access and they didn't drop beta access much either. Star Citizen let's you in on the game development for as little as $20 if you time it right and $45 if you just pop on and pledge 24/7.
That's what I did. It'll cost me a lot more than that to actually *play* the game because my gaming laptop simply isn't up to it even on lowest details. That's okay though, SC is about pushing limits and I understand that.

What I find slightly concerning about SC is that CIG are promising the moon on a stick, and to fund it they're selling pixels which people are talking themselves into buying because they see it as getting the game made. If SC should fail to live up to expectations, it'll be an enormous blotch on the (generally successful) crowdfunding of games. I don't want to see that happen, because games now are getting made that publishers traditionally wouldn't touch, and that's a great thing. I just sometimes wish that Chris Roberts and CIG would start to temper the expectations of their backers a little bit: underpromise and overdeliver. But I fear they're caught up in their own hype train and realise that they have what's effectively an unlimited source of funds. I hope they prove me wrong because if they get it right, SC has the potential to be a defining game of the genre. If they get it wrong, they have the potential to set game development back significantly and that's a big responsibility.

That's all you have to pay, nothing more. If you do pay more all you get is a space ship others can earn in game at release, again nothing special. There is no pay to win here, the game will be PLAY to win as those with the time will, like in Eve Online and just about every MMO I've ever seen be the ones to beat.

I'd rather recruit you as an additional backer for the game than turn you away. So here goes:

If you think you may be interested in the game, buy a $6 skin and start accumulating the backer rewards, if at a later date you decide you want to fully back the game and get a copy you can reclaim that $6 and use it as store credit against the retail cost of the game, or if you buy it before release get the retail copy and a starter ship.

Regarding pay2win (which comes up a lot from those who haven't followed the development process) - Nothing you can buy can't be earned in game and as I've stated already those with TIME will dominate, even post-live any in-game money that can be bought is capped so it doesn't influence the game and other stuff is all cosmetic, heck most of the items.

Lastly if it's pay to win why is it that with the REC system you get rewarded for playing in the alpha/beta phases? You can use the REC points to rent out equipment, test stuff out etc. Not a penny has to be paid extra for this.

I'm a massive fan of Star Citizen, but I'm also a fan of Elite:Dangerous, these games compliment each other pretty well - it's not as if they're competing for players after all.

Want to know more? here's the features list:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/103019/squadron-42-star-citizen-feature-list

Actually just to toss this in - I'm a kickstarter backer of Elite, I get a free upgraded Cobra MK III whenever I start a new game, that gave me a head start in the public universe, I still dont' consider that pay to win, but many do.

I do like the look of the game but in game money transactions are a big no no in my book. I know you can buy skins for your ships in elite and I don't like that either.

I guess its just the way they seem to be going with games these days. Saddens me greatly.

I'll still keep an eye on this. If it turns out good enough on final release then I may reconsider.

I do like the look of the game but in game money transactions are a big no no in my book. I know you can buy skins for your ships in elite and I don't like that either.

I guess its just the way they seem to be going with games these days. Saddens me greatly.

I'll still keep an eye on this. If it turns out good enough on final release then I may reconsider.

Game development doesn't stop when it's released, they have a choice of a subscription based funding model or mixed advertising/micro-transaction (pay for convenience, rather than pay to win) model. Strangely they may well go down a hybrid model as there are already subscribers who have said they'd be willing to continue subscribing post release for pretty much no reward (literally hangar fluff like towels/hifis).

The main thing that may impact the game is the fact you can buy in-game money with real cash, but you can do that in every-single-MMO legally or not and they will be hard capping it and monitoring it's effect. The devs have said this several times, it's also not likely to be there at launch.

Ultimately if you don't fund these games long term, they go to pot quite quickly at release. Elite has money now - but they're going to have to get more investment soon.

well there isn't in game money transactions.
There's in game money.

And if you don't provide a way to purchase in game money with real money, People will just do it anyway in a blackmarket/ebay.

they've added the cap so you can buy some, but you can't drop a grand and buy all the ships in the game

More interested in the internals tbh, hopefully we'll get to see it. Long range so you'd expect there to be a bunk etc maybe a station for scanning? Got potential to be a nice ship, just hope they dont' turn it into a jack of all trades, master of none though we've enough ships like that.

More interested in the internals tbh, hopefully we'll get to see it. Long range so you'd expect there to be a bunk etc maybe a station for scanning? Got potential to be a nice ship, just hope they dont' turn it into a jack of all trades, master of none though we've enough ships like that.

I'm 50/50 on whether I like it or not. I think it's the long engines at the rear and the support struts make it look a bit odd. It looks too much like it's for atmospheric flight rather than space flight and certain parts of the ship don’t look like an Aegis design.

Also, $250 for a two man fighter maybe a bit too much... we'll know more about it in the concept sale later today.

From what I've read elsewhere unlike the Retaliator etc this one was done before concept art was made for it, essentially the devs were allowed to start putting it together THEN an artist fine tuned it. Means we have a the model etc faster but IMHO the quality could suffer (like it not looking like an Aegis now).

I think it's a silly price, but I'm more interested in the internals now. Still wish they'd shove up a CCU for it, but know they wont' - they love their invisible self imposed barriers at CIG :)

I'll pass.

Tbh I'm not really keep on the Retaliator's design either - the cramped submarine style interior is not my cup of tea. And the Vanguard has a similar exterior look with superfluous flaps, wings and protrusions - weird when I thought it was meant to be able to "limp home with engines/etc missing" - looks too easy to shoot off the vulnerable parts.

Anyway, I prefer the spaceships like the Carrack, Constellation (hope it gets a good interior redesign), Freelancer (really looking forward to the redesign of this) and so on.

The only "space plane" I really like is the Avenger.

I melted my retaliator due in part to the interior, like you said it's just a bit too packed in, I'd rather have a Constellation tbh.

Or rather I'd rather crew someone elses!

Bring on the Avenger variants :D

Its funny, as thats what I love about the Retaliator.....I love that it feels like a Military Submarine in space.....guess thats one of the things that will make this game great, different designs for different tastes.

Just hope they keep the diverse designs coming, want the ships to feel very different!

I think the retaliator will be fun to crew on tbh, just not my sort of ship.

Its funny, as thats what I love about the Retaliator.....I love that it feels like a Military Submarine in space.....guess thats one of the things that will make this game great, different designs for different tastes.

I really like the look as well, definitely has a good military look to it.

However maybe it's a bit too cramped especially if you have several people walking around and with no real bridge area its hard to see where will people meet up in the ship (not that you have to with voice coms I suppose.) Will people just stay in the separate turret areas and the pilot seat all the time?

Back
Top Bottom