******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Someone found this inside the normal game files, possible FPS tie in with Nvidia then?

I'm guessing but probably some special Nvidia gear to wear lol

Warning: It's not another ship..
APTvDKO.png

Reading through this thread and other forums on SC all this talk of melting ships etc makes the game seem a little daunting. I'm resisting the urge to jump on this bandwagon but feel my resolve weakening and would appreciate some help...

I understand that buying in or pledging now will mean that by the time the game is released you have some advantage (like in-game credits) over buying the game on release? If I'm looking to buy access now to the finished game (not fussed about alpha or beta access) along with an semi-decent all round ship (I'm thinking equivalent to a Cobra in ED) for a minimal layout... what's my best option?

Cobra is really a multi-purpose ship, thing about SC is that you can mod ships in your hangar one the game is out or buy a variant of the ship. The Cobra is a fairly good ship and a decent size, you'd really need to put in a fair bit of money for it's rough equivalent in Star Citizen, so I'd suggest sticking with a lower cost starter ship and just earning the ship in-game if you aren't sure. Personally I'd think the Cutlass Black was around the same level as the Cobra, you'd need to buy an Arena commander pass too though if you wanted to fly it now.

If you aren't sure which ship you want, but want to jump in and get access to a hangar + ship, plus Arena commander (dogfighting/free flight test module) then this is arguably the safest bet:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Aurora-MR-AC-Starter

If you don't want to go that far but want to start getting the backer rewards then buy one of these skins, it grants your account backer status.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/extras?product_id=3

Melting etc is all going to change soon, they're looking to simplify the process but essentially melt means get store credit (like a refund) for the ship and then reapplying that credit against something else as whole or part payment.

The important thing from a backing point of view is that if you want THE ACTUAL GAME it has to be mentioned in the description of the package you're buying, you're looking to see three key things just now:

Squadron 42 Digital Download - Single player game.
Star Citizen Digital Download - multiplayer game.
Beta Access - access to all beta modules (likely next year)

Ship insurance doesn't matter just now, it only applies in the public universe which isn't going to be out for 18 months+

Last edited:
Caved and ended up buying the reliant as well to add to my initial kickstarter pledge.

I feel dirty now but its just something about vertical ships and especially ones that can transform!

Quite a few are doing that, it's nice that they've added in multi-crew starter ships, I'm just worried that they're too focused on ships now to get the rest of it right. the FPS element is key to how the game will play.

After much deliberation I'm thinking of taking the plunge and grabbing 'The Avenger' starter pack plus an Arena Commander pass.

Do I need all the extras included in the pack or would it be better to just buy the stand alone ship and the Arena pass ? cheers in advance !

*edit* and whats the install size ?, thanks*

Last edited:
After much deliberation I'm thinking of taking the plunge and grabbing 'The Avenger' starter pack plus an Arena Commander pass.

Do I need all the extras included in the pack or would it be better to just buy the stand alone ship and the Arena pass ? cheers in advance !

*edit* and whats the install size ?, thanks*

If you get just the standalone, you will not own the game, thus you will not be able to play either now, or at full release. the package is the game.

EDIT - make sure you pay in euros not GBP, its MUCH cheaper.

Yeah they set the price in Euros cheaper to help with the VAT being applied to electronic goods, they purposely haven't changed it which is why it's a good bit cheaper to pay that way :)

Download for the hangar/arena commander is ~22 Gig from memory, may be marginally smaller but needs around 26Gb on disk

Not sure about prices being cheaper because of VAT changes, it applies to all of the EU countries, so why make the Pound more expensive than Euro?
Its almost certainly because the EU prices were set when the rate was stronger, and since its hit a slump its become cheaper than USD, and the GBP price is just a rounded up number which reflected the price at the time, and again while the USD and Euro haven't done as well as the pound lately, those prices are made to look much cheaper because their currency has been made cheaper.

Also the nvidia poster is quite old, it possibly pre-dates the AMD Mustang deal. At least the AMD one, as unconvincing as it is, was done in-fiction to Star Citizen, rather than being a straight up billboard for sale to the highest bidders.
As long as CIG stick with their morals and only entertain offers which are in the best interest of the community which has funded the project, then i doubt we'll see anything of concern. As it stands, i think they realise they dont really have any grounds to start accommodating to any [extremely] early requests for advertising, funding is far from drying up, if anything its accelerating, and anything intrusive isnt going to be popular and when the community puts down $83m to support it, its impossible to argue slapping a load of Lucozade Sport & Norton Anti-virus banners in the game is productive or anything other than exploitative.
Im surprised that the gaming industry hasnt had the same sort of wave of advertising infiltrating it that other forms of media like TV, film & sport have. Tons of the US shows have been using their show to focus on features of latest cars, electronics, soft drinks etc, films have had everything with a label featured in them, and sports are no better. I enjoy watching NASCAR and the whole event is an advertising joke, from the Spongebob Squarepants 400 (seriously! amusing pic), every car featuring a dozen sponsors, which every driver has to list on every interview ever before actually getting to the question, even down to segments of the race being sponsored, whether its logos in the corner of the screen or the commentator reading out the sponsors tag-line or films plot with the advert in a small window during the race or coming back from 3min of adverts - its 90% advertising, 10% turn left.
How its not become an unwanted, yet accepted, aspect of gaming is rather surprising. Games studios & publishers are no more ethical than broadcasters, film studios or sports franchises, and nor are the audiences any more vocal or likely to put up much of a fight beyond complaining and then pre-ordering anyway.

Last edited:
Just wanna put this out there to anyone thinking of backing that wants to save a few bucks.

If you visit star citizen trades on reddit, you will find trustworthy sellers that will happily sell you ships at slightly under the USD cost WITHOUT vat. The disadvantage of this, is if you buy a ship that way, you will not be able to gift it, so you wont be able to sell it on at a later date.

Obviously you probably shouldn't use that forum if your a moron, as you need to have basic "internet smarts" about you as being scammed is a possibility.

Another factor is you should at least put 5$ (6$ with vat) through the RSI website in order to get backer status, which might give you a few little bits of fluff every now and then.

Yeah the backer status bit is important to remember, lots of people forget that. I've used (bought and sold) a lot on the trades subreddit under my various Reddit accounts, never had an issue - but it's always a case of judging the risk.

Yeah the backer status bit is important to remember, lots of people forget that. I've used (bought and sold) a lot on the trades subreddit under my various Reddit accounts, never had an issue - but it's always a case of judging the risk.

I've also done a fair few trades and never had a problem, but you need to be able to judge the seller, and that's instinctive, I think 95% of people will be ok, but if you feel confused about the process, then you probably should just buythrough RSI.

Back
Top Bottom