******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Associate

Havent watched it yet, but first impressions from friends was that its not great, one who loves yapping about SC at any opportunity, couldnt be bothered watching the whole thing.
Hopefully people will get used to a different format eventually, cos the old one wont be returning.

Associate
'Flat' is basically how id describe it, its lacking the character that wingman added, Sandi doesnt really have charisma IMO, which given the fact that shes been an actress, is wierd (though it does explain why she isnt doing that today).
Ben i dont mind, he seems more enthusiastic, with Sandi seems more artificial, though i dont believe thats accurate, just how it looks.

Its not trying to be the same show though, and i guess thats what we'll have to accept, it seems like its more straight interview, more informative than entertaining.

So ive been a bit concerned lately regarding these massive corps like xplor etc, will anyone be able to mine or ever really find anything like ancient relics due to these massive corps finding everything and the little corps not even getting a look in out the good stuff???
Thats a concern i keep coming back to. Our small org (we're a BF clan primarily, but the mainstay of our members are desperate for SC) was approached by an org who are hardcore flight sim orientated, basically looking for people they feel match their ambition to merge into their org. Their plan is to hold territory, and defend it from anyone looking to muscle in. I dont know if they'd defend from people also wanting to use it, but certainly those wanting to force them out and occupy it.

Theres certainly going to be a lot to do, but it does conceen me when i wonder whether a portion of it is just going to be off limits unless you're one of them.
Xplore arent too bad, their excessively affiliated members, compare that to Imperium, who are almost exclusively primary members, thats where concern should be focused. The Xplore numbers are just inflated by people who's loyalty lies elsewhere, they'll lack coordination, whereas Imp have a community, they have structure and dedicated dept's for different requirements, combat, trade, exploration ect. not 6000 randoms doing as they please.

What im hoping is that the game doesnt go down the DayZ route, where people start with good intentions, but those with selfish intentions shoot on sight and wear you down, to the point where you either also go bandit, or stop playing, because the game you want is infested with people wh go against that, and its just not fun. Will we be bullied into flying in groups of 20 to feel safe, will that result in a handful of huge orgs, with armies trying to conquer the universe, and no room for the little guys?

It just seems like we'll be dependant on this supposed slider which dictates whether you see lots of people or NPCs instead, which will end up feeling more like a huge coop game, than a huge multiplayer game.

Id much rather support freedom of movement, with pirates if people want to be pirates, but i suspect there will be more combat between 'citizens' than pirates.

Soldato
With 'instancing' though will it matter? You might have several orgs holding the same bit of space at the same time, but in different instances.
If I'm understanding it right...

Why did they get rid of wingmans hangar?

Soldato
OP

Oh god they let Sandi run it? I've been saying since the start of TNGS that she's %*£(£$%( useless on front of a camera if she has to speak, there's no emotion or enthusiasm for it. I've no doubt she's a lovely person - she seems popular at CIG, but I'm not getting what her part in this will be. I'm saying this as someone who's not seen the new show yet, going to watch it on my phone at lunch time but I'm dreading it now :(

I actually preferred that new community chap nobody else seems to like lol

Xplore arent too bad, their excessively affiliated members, compare that to Imperium, who are almost exclusively primary members, thats where concern should be focused. The Xplore numbers are just inflated by people who's loyalty lies elsewhere, they'll lack coordination, whereas Imp have a community, they have structure and dedicated dept's for different requirements, combat, trade, exploration ect. not 6000 randoms doing as they please.

I had a right go at XPLOR after their latest spam-fest and they've admitted they did wrong. Seems one of their leadership was in Imperium before he quit under a cloud and started XPLOR promising he'd have the biggest org. I'll be honest, I don't have a problem with either org, or any org for that matter as it's all popcorn entertainment for me and I've no doubt several will implode before PU.

We planned to have affiliates and manage the numbers, I'm not sure having affiliates will necessarily damage the effectiveness of an organisation but it will make them seem inflated and more powerful than they really are. The orgs I'm more interested in are the little groups like QQOP who are exclusive and aiming to be very good in their field. Being in a small org shouldn't (if it's done right) be an issue due to the reputation system, but it's always good to have friends.

Soldato
OP
With 'instancing' though will it matter? You might have several orgs holding the same bit of space at the same time, but in different instances.

That's just it, the limit on instancing is 100 in theory but it could be lower or higher. Even if it's 150 there's no guarantee how many of hugeorgX will get in at the same time as tinyorgZ so it could be a bit hit and miss anyway.

Wingman's hangar was always meant to finish around now, I get the impression they wanted Wingman to focus on his day job and make it more "professional" but part of the fun about the show was how amateur it was at time, it was partly blokes in a pub..

Soldato
Will you end up in the same instance every time you log in? And if so, will it be possible to change instances if you find yourself getting hammered by an org every time you want to play?
So many questions about SC lol

Soldato
Will you end up in the same instance every time you log in? And if so, will it be possible to change instances if you find yourself getting hammered by an org every time you want to play?
So many questions about SC lol

you'll change instances all the time, it's not like servers that you're locked to one.
I'm sure there was a good 10 for the chairman on it.

when people worry about the 'super orgs' etc, it'll be like eve probably, and that's really fine by me.
like, in safe zone's your safe from anyone who doesn't want to commit suicide at you.
which will be reduced due to permadeath.

also, I feel with regards to minerals/relics, they'll probably have the best ones in NPC space where you'll have to be sneaky and no matter how big you're corp as the game will always outnumber players with NPC's, if you moved a big military presence in to defend, the AI can bring a bigger one

Soldato
OP
Just watched the new show, didn't think it was bad to be honest. Sandi is barely doing anything in it which probably helps. Was pretty cool over all

*hides from haters*

:p

Soldato
I'm glad they've stopped putting out big stretch goals after procedural. They just need to focus on the current scope and getting all the alpha modules out by the end of this year.

Soldato
I think that the really telling thing about Sandi, is the fact that she is an aussie, that is unable to do an aussie accent.. sums her up completely I think.

Ben put it quite well when he said that they wanted someone fatter than wingman, so chose him, and someone cuter, so they still chose him. I got the feeling as though Sandi was only there for the obligatory "we'll get the guys attention with a bit of leg", which is rather offputting indeed.

Get rid of Sandi, and leave it all to Ben and his monkeys..

Soldato
OP
Probably part of her role as VP of marketing I guess, wouldn't really be good in a small company if they had someone in that role who wasn't public facing at all.

Associate

Well, my understanding is that if there are say 60 people in that area, you'll all be in the same instance, but if the instancing limit is 100 and 120 people start to merge into that space, then it'll create 2 instances, whether thats 100 & 20, or 60 & 60 i dont know.

The org which approached us was talking about holding the territory with >50% of the instance capacity, so 60, meaning someone else could only bring in 40. So i assume that any more than 40 would be pushed into their own instance.

Its still very much unknown, cos surely peoples sliders will have an impact, if i want somewhere between coop & MMO, will some of the people in that instance not be there? Could someone with a low slider be in space, you can see him but your mate in another ship cant? cos an NPC takes their place due to that other persons slider... its very odd.

and WMH hangar ended because Eric has a pretty big job to do, and i guess this takes up time which they need him to be focused on his actual job, not some fun thing on the side. Its a shame really.

I had a right go at XPLOR after their latest spam-fest and they've admitted they did wrong. Seems one of their leadership was in Imperium before he quit under a cloud and started XPLOR promising he'd have the biggest org. I'll be honest, I don't have a problem with either org, or any org for that matter as it's all popcorn entertainment for me and I've no doubt several will implode before PU.

We planned to have affiliates and manage the numbers, I'm not sure having affiliates will necessarily damage the effectiveness of an organisation but it will make them seem inflated and more powerful than they really are. The orgs I'm more interested in are the little groups like QQOP who are exclusive and aiming to be very good in their field. Being in a small org shouldn't (if it's done right) be an issue due to the reputation system, but it's always good to have friends.

Yeah, i would have affiliated with them as our 'boss' did kinda as a 'org affiliate' while theres no such option available currently, but before i could do so, the spamming happened, and im not interested in joining an org who spams, especially when it means their members were invited for no meaningful reason, they're just randoms.
I dont mind Imperium, i just dont like how big they are and what that could potentially mean in the game. I dont want it to get to a point where 90% of orgs just merge into 5 mega orgs and it turns into armies fighting to conquer ground in space. I want freedom, but just like DayZ, if more people play in a manner that goes against that, you're screwed. I'll kill zombies/pirates, but i'd prefer to let everyone else go about their business, but i suspect out of UEE space it'll be citizens turned bandits, enter my space and i'll shoot you down.

edit - also, reputation isnt going to help much if you're outnumbered 10 v 20 in unoccupied space, it'll help you get jobs etc but im sure if 20 people are passing nearby, and they want to attack cos they have the numbers, you have to accept that. If they're pirates, i'd accept it and thats what i'd expect them to do, but when its other citizens, fighting for greed rather than self preservation, it gets to a point where you have to fly in numbers where you unlikely to be seen as easy prey, which sucks.

Last edited:
Associate
In other news, $46 Million in funding was reached about an hour ago.

Funding goal unlocked: Updated Scanning Software.
Retaliator commercial locked down too :D Should follow Constellation & Cutlass, but it'll also be a while till those arrive i'd imagine.

They're on target to hit $50 million at the start of September, insane.
Yeah thats not too unrealistic, it'll be heavily dependant on what they release between now & then though, if they can get the Constellation variants up, they'll see another surge of pledging, if they can get the Avenger & other variants into DFM, and multi-crew ships in too, this will all have a significant impact on fund-raising. If theres very little, then i think it'll go back to the trickle it was shortly after the alpha slots dried up.

Soldato
Hmm not sure what I am doing wrong here. Are you chaps using keyboard and mouse because I am struggling to fly this with my X52 Pro and I mostly play flightsims and never have a problem with them normally. I do well in Elite Dangerous and then here just am failing badly.
I've tried both M&KB and stick (Cyborg FLY 5, in my case).
I find both a royal pain in the backside, mainly during fighting. I think I've figured out what my beef is...

The kicker occurs when you make small corrections to try and bring the crosshair on target. You move the ship because you make an input, the thrusters have a quick think and calculate the amount to output, before doing it and then make it happen, thus you move... but then the opposing thrusters fire to check your movement and you end up either not actually turning far enough, or actually moving back a bit the way you came.

I'm sure it's all nice and Newtonian, but it's also a BLEEPing BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP!!!
I aim by PFM and only then with a modicum of luck to get any hits in.
Generally I only make Wave 5 flying stick in the 300i and I'm lucky to make 3 in the Aurora with either control, by which point I've blown all my missiles, lost at least one gun, am perpetually getting Betty BLEEPing at me how I'm overheating and in the end usually die from going outside the sim area.

I've had a playaround with flying Decoupled, wherein I can pitch & yaw like Freelancer, but the other keys (like Thruster) don't even seem to work any more... I took G-Safe and ComStab off and it was just ridiculous. I got to black myself out a few times, but I didn't notice things getting any easier.

Retaliator commercial locked down too :D Should follow Constellation & Cutlass, but it'll also be a while till those arrive i'd imagine.
Nice!
I really do like their fictional marketing stuff!

Soldato
OP
It's not so much thrusters thinking, as they have to physically pivot/rotate in their slots before firing and that causes a delay from input to action. Then of course you over correct and start getting sea sick :) or is that space sick?

Associate
The problem i find with using the stick is that the ship has to be pointing directly in the direction of where the acceptable gun tracking will take it, whereas using a mouse it so much easier because you just lock your focus on that ship and provided the mouse target is pretty accurate, you'll both fly in that direction and shoot there.
With the stick, its like flying with fixed weapons, not gimbal ones. So it feels like theres a 1% flexibility with JS aim, and more like 5-10% with mouse, because your nose and gun aim dont have to be aligned to shoot, its just that the ships guns dont auto track the target, which is what is needed, because it feels like gimbal weapons are utterly pointless if they're not really going to have the movement a gimbal gun can, because your stick controls where the nose goes, the mouse controls both ship and weapons.

Until the ships weapons track, a stick will always be at a disadvantage. I still find it very enjoyable though, i wouldnt want to fly kb&m, especially since i bought my X55 purely for SC, so hopefully this will be addressed. It doesnt need to be uber precise, it just needs to offer the same ability to shoot off-set from where the nose points. Otherwise, the best combo might be HOTAS with mouse aiming, which would be really weird as you'd want the right hand for both stick and mouse.

Soldato
It's not so much thrusters thinking, as they have to physically pivot/rotate in their slots before firing and that causes a delay from input to action. Then of course you over correct and start getting sea sick :) or is that space sick?

So how the hell am I supposed to get past Wave 5, let alone survive in PU... or should I just go get my money back now? :D

Back
Top Bottom