******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
Whatever happens with SC it's fascinating to see how a crowd-funded project of this scale will play out....and it's good for gamers to see a (admittedly sanitised) peek behind the curtain of what goes into producing a AAA title.

I've pulled my money out as I think they need some kind of impetus to lock scope and focus on delivery. I'm still looking forward to the game though, I'll be happy to just buy it at release instead.

Question though:

What is their monetisation strategy post-launch? Presumably the cash-for-ships will have to shut down once the final persistent world starts up...

Soldato
Whatever happens with SC it's fascinating to see how a crowd-funded project of this scale will play out....and it's good for gamers to see a (admittedly sanitised) peek behind the curtain of what goes into producing a AAA title.

I've pulled my money out as I think they need some kind of impetus to lock scope and focus on delivery. I'm still looking forward to the game though, I'll be happy to just buy it at release instead.

Question though:

What is their monetisation strategy post-launch? Presumably the cash-for-ships will have to shut down once the final persistent world starts up...
Last I heard it was paid for expansions (wow style) and cash for in game cash (with a cap on how much you could buy and transfer between accounts)

Soldato
OP
There is also likely going to be some form of micro transactions like elite has for certain cosmetic stuff. Expansions will likely be the main thing as well as allowing subscribers to keep going if they want for a tiny amount of in game money each month. Subscription would only be an option though never mandatory and not allowed to offer any benefit you can't get by playing it without just like the cap on buying in game cash. All needs careful balance.

there is also the IP licencing aspect, you can get CR intends to expand this into TV or film later on, hopefully he's not a director if that's happens though.. as guilty a pleasure the wing commander movie is! it's still pants..

Soldato
I'd be happy with 3.0 being first retail version out. The rest can be released as dlc

What no, just no. Its not even close to being retail release at all. That's at least a few years away. And why does it matter if it retail or left in Alpha?

It doesn't change if you can but and play it or not once it is released? But since we have almost no network sorted yet and only a few moons its just not feasible to call it retail in any sense.

Soldato
Is this worth getting yet?

Which pack would you get squad 42 or normal?

Is squad 42 out yet?

Is there much to do or is it just as some say a ‘tech demo’ at present.

Honestly hold off until 3.0 for Star Citizen to drop and take a look at YouTube vids and feedback here and see what you think then.

SQ42 is not out yet and at best end of next year tbh.

In terms of what to get when viable though depends if you want to have a large single player experience or large multiplayer experience. If you get SQ42 and play through and join Star Citizen after you get some perks in there for completing Episode 1 of SQ42.

SQ42 is meant to be 3 Episodes in total. Each episode is split into Chapters, and chapters into missions. We are talking about 60 missions plus and it is meant to be similar to Wing Commander in that if you fail one mission you do a different next mission to if you didn't fail for instance.

I hope that helps.

Soldato
OP
Is this worth getting yet?

Which pack would you get squad 42 or normal?

Is squad 42 out yet?

Is there much to do or is it just as some say a ‘tech demo’ at present.
more than a tech demo but I can't recommend anyone to back it presently. Hold off, watch the live streams etc but keep the cash in your wallet

Soldato
have they finally nailed a lid on the feature creep then? I know CR wants total awesomeness and the BDSSE etc, but they really really need to realise there's nothing to be ashamed of in releasing a stonking game and adding stonkier bits later, it all doesn't have to come at once.

Soldato
have they finally nailed a lid on the feature creep then? I know CR wants total awesomeness and the BDSSE etc, but they really really need to realise there's nothing to be ashamed of in releasing a stonking game and adding stonkier bits later, it all doesn't have to come at once.

Nothing has really changed since late 2015 in terms of features. Not sure why people keep thinking there is massive creep with this.

2014 was massive creeep cause stretch goals. 2015 had some large creep cause of procedural tech and that's been it tbh. I think the problem is that they are wanting to finish everything on the stretch goals before official release because that is what they said they were going to do during the backing period of 2014.

Soldato
"Not sure why people keep thinking there is massive creep with this. "
because it seems everytime i read something, something new has been added - a new ship turns up, a motorbike or whatever it is, they're working on things like putting footprints in sand, and i heard they'd even added sandworms, ffs. can't recall any of that from the Stretches, so i'm assuming it's all being added as they go. on the other hand, some of the Stretches i have include engine modifiers and a spacesuit type, IIRC, and i can't recall those sort of things being available yet. but, i'm slightly detatched from SC now so i appreciate i've maybe missed things.

Soldato
"Not sure why people keep thinking there is massive creep with this. "
because it seems everytime i read something, something new has been added - a new ship turns up, a motorbike or whatever it is, they're working on things like putting footprints in sand, and i heard they'd even added sandworms, ffs. can't recall any of that from the Stretches, so i'm assuming it's all being added as they go. on the other hand, some of the Stretches i have include engine modifiers and a spacesuit type, IIRC, and i can't recall those sort of things being available yet. but, i'm slightly detatched from SC now so i appreciate i've maybe missed things.

You are completely miss understanding what scope creep is and talking about assets. Some things such as motorbike or ship are always planned but we are only just seeing. We knew the premise of careers. We knew ships would go with them.

That is not the same as scope creep and new tech being added that was never noted.

Sandworms were back in 2016. They would have worked on them for a while before. Again going back to 2015 where Creep really stopped.

Some of the engine modifiers (the modules are in 3.0 to a point).

Footprints and tracks isn't creep. That is something huge number of games do. Those things were planned in the term fidelity in honesty.

FOIP was from 2014, Procedural tech 2015, Render to Texture 2015 etc. It has been pretty firmed up. People have called scope creep on so many things, even the stamina system that was talked about 2014 etc. So yeah having followed it really only the last 12 months but reading all back through, watching through older ATV's and similar then I realised how far back some of this tech was discussed and has just been forgotten about in honesty.

This I think is why I don't understand. People taking content as scope creep isn't the same thing. It is like when procedural cities are dropped in context in future and someone will say scope creep but that has been discussed since early 2015.

And player bases has been discussed and being looked into since 2015 also and if that does come (not confirmed, people will say scope creep) but that is still from 2015. The point is that they are not currently as far as we are aware working on completely new features that require completely new tech to be produced.

Back
Top Bottom