******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
So this is now slated for 2020 now? Not surprised. As long as it delivers, I am happy to wait personally.

Just hope we can get the single player story mode out in 2018, that is what I am most interested in anyway.

Soldato
OP
So that original pitch of releasing it in 2-3 years time was a lie?

When backers throw money at you and ask for more (which kept happening btw, it wasn't all CR expanding scope, the community was partially to blame) then the scope gets extended and extended.

Those unhappy with that have been able to get refunds and walk away, which incidentally they didn't have to offer.

The original pitch changed, so timescales changed and even now the community continues to ask for more. The difference is that CIG have stopped expanding the scope and stopped giving timescales/deadlines.

Soldato
The game pitched in 2012 was supposed to be released in 2-3 years. They raised a tone of money, they kept adding features so at some point much of the progress they made during these 2-3 years was thrown in the bin because it was incompatible with the new, grand vision. They hired new people, including quite a few from Crytek but then they realised they can't make a MMO on CryEngine, it has too many issues related to the fact that it was built for shooters not MMO's. Then they changed the game's engine (although the official line is that "it's basically the same engine" - it really isn't) so more work thrown in the bin. They triumphantly started working on Star Marine, including cringe worthy "team play" videos, but that got binned at some point too. They redesigned ships a million times including ones that were never released (someone got paid to design the ship and despite it never being released, then they got paid to design it again and again). All of this cost a lot of money I wouldn't be surprised if they have spent at least 100m of the 150m they received so far. A cheap code monkey costs at least $80k per year, multiply by 5 and you get 400k, multiply by 250 (that's a median no., the team is bigger now, used to be smaller) and you get 100m.

So here we are today and let's be honest, they don't have a lot to brag with after 100m+ spent so far. Roberts has good intentions, his vision is something I'd "dig" into any time.. but not like this. He's a horrid product manager with a bad track record(Freelancer), his "Co-Founder" is an actress, shoe designer who also happens to be his wife, the module approach was a bad choice (he should have gone for an initially smaller but easily expandable game) and if not much changes in 2018, there's a real possibility that they will run out of money.

The project itself is definitely not a scam, it has a chance to succeed but that chance is decreasing with every passing month.

Where have they spent a $100 million+?

Are you one of these types who can’t different between funds raised and funds spent?

A bit like Derek 2 unaccredited PhDs Smart?

Do you whole heartedly believe every negative spin you hear about CIG or do you attempt to think for yourself sometimes?

Soldato
Where have they spent a $100 million+?

Are you one of these types who can’t different between funds raised and funds spent?

A bit like Derek 2 unaccredited PhDs Smart?

Do you whole heartedly believe every negative spin you hear about CIG or do you attempt to think for yourself sometimes?

Rudimentary calculation on whats been spent aside the rest of what he said is entirely valid and I agree with and im a long term backer.

Chris is a creative director thrust into the role of studio head and given his past history it has never filled me with confidence. He needs somebody to reel him in otherwise pointless feature creep is the end product (foip anyone?!) although the community is also to blame.

A lot of my goodwill is eroding over time, i dont expect miracles but it does feel like the haphazard nature of the first few years has set them back significantly. That being said the next year is crucial for me. If no significant upswing in progress is shown then ill seriously consider pulling my money out.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
That's too long of a wait.
Why wait though? Just get on with your life, plenty of other things to do, when it comes out it comes out. At least then when it does it will be something special than if they rush it and it is a turd.

Obviously mistakes were made, but that is in the past now. Say the game comes out in 2022 and lives up to expectations making it by far the best game in its genre, will you say “**** that game, it took too long to come out, I will never play it!”?

I know it may sound harsh, but I would rather wait until 2022 for it to come out than for them to release a game like Elite Dangerous which is in my opinion a hollow/soulless game with no campaign.

Soldato
When backers throw money at you and ask for more (which kept happening btw, it wasn't all CR expanding scope, the community was partially to blame) then the scope gets extended and extended.

Those unhappy with that have been able to get refunds and walk away, which incidentally they didn't have to offer.

The original pitch changed, so timescales changed and even now the community continues to ask for more. The difference is that CIG have stopped expanding the scope and stopped giving timescales/deadlines.
For real the community is partially to blame? People will always ask for more. You expect the mob to perform collective reasoning and say stop no more content when you have a top-notch salesman like CR pitching a dream to them? That would never happen.

Soldato
So this is now slated for 2020 now? Not surprised. As long as it delivers, I am happy to wait personally.

Just hope we can get the single player story mode out in 2018, that is what I am most interested in anyway.

It isn't slated for any release date tbh. Just what we are basing things on where they are and what we have seen and best guesstimates. However yeah should be worth the wait.

In terms of SQ42 and why I backed, they are releasing information on that in December and they are going to start releasing schedules for SQ42 progress which I would say to do that now puts it at around a 12 month period till release. So yeah an Xmas 2018 release (announced at CitzenCon 2018).

That's too long of a wait.

Why is it, That totals 8 years and it has been clearly demonstrated that games certainly do take that long and longer. It is hard to say anything is too long until it is released.

If it comes out and does everything that has been suggested then it will most likely be the best game in it's genre released to date. Of course it could fail and be a mess and never work and thus then the wait would be too long but you cannot judge if 8 years development is too long till you have it to play yourself.

2020 now ? AI will have taken over the world before this game gets released.

Haha hardly. There are so many games that have been delayed. I mean come on Microsoft has just delayed their Age of Empire remake by a year and that is just rebuilding a pretty basic game in comparison to what we have now and that would have taken them two years.

AI is many moons away from the level we would like it to be in real life or in terms of gaming AI.

Soldato
For real the community is partially to blame? People will always ask for more. You expect the mob to perform collective reasoning and say stop no more content when you have a top-notch salesman like CR pitching a dream to them? That would never happen.

They literally gave people the option to vote and select goals for them at times. Then those same people called scope creep at times and wondered why. They asked for it and CR gave it them. You know what the mob overall have now stated no new features. Not so much content. That isn't the same as the scope creep which is features never asked for.

And a lot of what people thought was scope creep is people forgetting what was stated in 2012 with terms of mechanics and then what else was added over the two years of the scope change. They are suggesting that what we are seeing during 2016/2017 is all new and never mentioned and yet we have seen that almost (guesstimate at 95%) have been previous shown at least in 2014 or before.

So yes it isn't all CIG, yes they should have stuck to a tighter overall build and it's core then sometimes I think they got themselves stuck between a rock and a hard place. People give money and collectively ask for stuff then CIG feel they are obliged to create these features because someone has paid them too. They didn't stop people and educate them accordingly on what giving them funds meant. I do think that was on purpose at the same time, in that they of course wanted to have more funds. But they are a company. A lot of people treat them as they are meant to be best friends and although they are passionate gamer's they are still a business and they need the funds.

Soldato
Why wait though? Just get on with your life, plenty of other things to do, when it comes out it comes out. At least then when it does it will be something special than if they rush it and it is a turd.

Obviously mistakes were made, but that is in the past now. Say the game comes out in 2022 and lives up to expectations making it by far the best game in its genre, will you say “**** that game, it took too long to come out, I will never play it!”?

I know it may sound harsh, but I would rather wait until 2022 for it to come out than for them to release a game like Elite Dangerous which is in my opinion a hollow/soulless game with no campaign.
How do u know it will be something special and how do you know that a bigger games company is working on a similar game?

Imagine blizzard working on such a game? It could kill this game and all its hype and hard work if someone else does it similar.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
How do u know it will be something special and how do you know that a bigger games company is working on a similar game?

Imagine blizzard working on such a game? It could kill this game and all its hype and hard work if someone else does it similar.

I don't know and never claimed to know. But if it is not something special then who gives a crap whether it comes out today or 5 years from now? I would rather wait for them to release it when they can delivery on all the promises made (which would make the game something special).

If more games come out that are just as good if not better, I say great, better for us. Why would that be a bad thing or something to worry about? I don't care if it kills hype, they already have all the money upfront. As long as we get what is promised, it is what matters most.

My viewpoint could be a bit different than someone who has put crazy money into the game though. I purchased it for about £50 or something like that many years ago when they were doing that life time insurance on ships thing, was called the bounty pack or something. But I also had and AMD code which gave a special ship which I sold on for a lot more than £50, so I am in profit. Happy to wait :D

Soldato
what are you expecting SC to be exactly? because its essentially the same as elite but walking around areas - which Elite are getting to as part of their 10 year plan.
I love SC fanboys that knock elite, when they are both the same type of games. The only difference is elite seems to have made significantly more playable progress in its grand plan than SC.

but keep on drinking that Chris Roberts coolaid.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
what are you expecting SC to be exactly? because its essentially the same as elite but walking around areas - which Elite are getting to as part of their 10 year plan.
I love SC fanboys that knock elite, when they are both the same type of games. The only difference is elite seems to have made significantly more playable progress in its grand plan than SC.

but keep on drinking that Chris Roberts coolaid.
:rolleyes:

Associate

It's not harsh as it's the type of game it is, that's why its tagline is 'Blaze your own trial,' each to their own, but imho a lot of people are still playing it because their is no campaign and thus you cannot 'complete it.' And they are actually adding a personal narrative so it will soon have a sp 'campaign' however that still doesn't mean it'll have a 'soul' - that will come from how it is played & for me ED has a lot of soul whether that be flying in a wing, increasing my Imp rank or making an utter prat of myself by crashing into the station during a CG :)

As for SC, the same rules apply; if it has a campaign but the story is poor or the missions suck it ain't going to matter squad if it has a campaign at all in which case it is basically ED but with different method implementation of the various space sim components.

Anyway, & apologies as even though I follow SC & wish it well I'm not overly knowledgeable, but I thought the point of SC was you picked a class/profession & then basically did your own thing as part of the profession? I.e. there isn't a campaign as you would find it in other games?

Soldato
ED also got the basics so right with its kickass flight model, good graphics and performance and top-notch sound design.

What you have to understand is that no game will ever measure to the dream that some SC fans have in their head and no one can convince them otherwise, too bad SC will not even come remotely close to that dream.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It's not harsh as it's the type of game it is, that's why its tagline is 'Blaze your own trial,' each to their own, but imho a lot of people are still playing it because their is no campaign and thus you cannot 'complete it.' And they are actually adding a personal narrative so it will soon have a sp 'campaign' however that still doesn't mean it'll have a 'soul' - that will come from how it is played & for me ED has a lot of soul whether that be flying in a wing, increasing my Imp rank or making an utter prat of myself by crashing into the station during a CG :)

As for SC, the same rules apply; if it has a campaign but the story is poor or the missions suck it ain't going to matter squad if it has a campaign at all in which case it is basically ED but with different method implementation of the various space sim components.

Anyway, & apologies as even though I follow SC & wish it well I'm not overly knowledgeable, but I thought the point of SC was you picked a class/profession & then basically did your own thing as part of the profession? I.e. there isn't a campaign as you would find it in other games?

You are right, I think it is subjective. Some will get a lot more out of Elite than others. The only part I enjoyed in that game was bounty hunting, as everything else just felt unsatisfying and empty to me. It is probably because I am looking for something like Freelancer which I really enjoyed back in the day. You did the story mode and then when done you can go out there and do whatever. I am no SC fanboy, I just pop in this thread now and then to see what is going on. But my expectation is this will be a lot more like Freelancer, rather than pretty much all procedurally generated and empty feeling.

I did not bother replying to explain myself to the other guy as he got all emotional and started calling me a fanboy without even trying to understand why I have come to such conclusion about Elite. It is like as my opinion does not match with his, mine must be invalid or something. If people enjoy Elite for what it is, great, good for them. But to jump on me making wild projections is just :rolleyes:

Oh and there is a campaign in SC, it is called Squadron 42. Here is a clip from it:

Soldato
OP

Adults can't be adults? I don't buy it. This wasn't just at the pitch, CR has consistently let the community down and the community has continually asked for more, thrown money at him like a top rate hooker and he's kept dancing. The blame isn't all on him because the community is so damn keen to keep that booty moving ;) The blame is shared.

Many in the community now seem to be at the "just focus on the current scope" mood with additional stuff being later well after release, there still some who want more added though.

ED also got the basics so right with its kickass flight model, good graphics and performance and top-notch sound design.

What you have to understand is that no game will ever measure to the dream that some SC fans have in their head and no one can convince them otherwise, too bad SC will not even come remotely close to that dream.

Elite didn't live up to my exceptions, I think SC will be the same and some of that will be down to the community when/if the game ever comes out properly. I loved Elite for about 3 months then realised it was basically a grind fest with little to do, piracy was made increasingly difficult and traders etc were able to generate vast sums of money whilst watching TV. The different play styles weren't balanced at all, meaning everyone was pushed into trading, trading and trading. Still I've got my kickstarter modified cobra MK IV if I ever want to fire it back up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom