******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Caporegime
Why complain about loot boxes, you don't have to buy them? Why complain about pre-orders you don't have to buy them? Why are pyramind schemes illegal, you don't have to take part in them?

I'm not saying that this reality show about making a game is a pyramid scheme just that it's a scheme which resembles a solid having a polygonal base, and triangular sides that meet in a point.

Maybe lay off the fizzy drinks.

Soldato
Why complain about loot boxes, you don't have to buy them? Why complain about pre-orders you don't have to buy them? Why are pyramind schemes illegal, you don't have to take part in them?

I'm not saying that this reality show about making a game is a pyramid scheme just that it's a scheme which resembles a solid having a polygonal base, and triangular sides that meet in a point.

Pyramid scheme? Are the early backers rolling in $$$ now or something? I'm confused.

There's plenty of questionable aspects to this project for sure, but I'm not following you with this one.

Caporegime
Seems they've gone from 3.0 to 3.1 quicker than previous updates. How does it perform?

After all the complaints of how long its taken to get 3.0 live they are now on a fixed 3 monthly released cycle, what features / optimizations don't make it in time for those dates get taken out and pushed to the next release.

Evocati builds are always higher performance than live ones because live servers are far more heavily populated.

The last ATV is all about performance, its worth watching.

Soldato
I'd love to get enthused about this potential game (last 2 words carefully chosen) but my cynical bones just won't let me. I just don't see it coming to fruition with the vision it thinks it has.

And the above video? How about transferring the time, money and effort of trying to make some sort of lame 'TV' show into finishing the bloody game!?

Soldato
I'd love to get enthused about this potential game (last 2 words carefully chosen) but my cynical bones just won't let me. I just don't see it coming to fruition with the vision it thinks it has.

And the above video? How about transferring the time, money and effort of trying to make some sort of lame 'TV' show into finishing the bloody game!?

Those videos are done after hours by staff and paid for specifically by subscribers to get those sort of videos to us for development. They are how a lot of what can be seen being created is shown. It keeps backers informed and can interact with them. It really isn't taking away from the development and it isn't lame for us that are interested in following the development.

Caporegime

You're misunderstanding what this is.

This is not a 'normal' way to develop a game, normal would be some developments studio pitching an idea to a publisher like EA and EA then financing the development in return for a percentage of the revenue, that game is them made behind closed doors and the first you get to know about it is when its almost ready for release.

The thing with that is EA make them stick to a budget and a time scale, so what you end up with is the same crap recycled with higher resolution textures, yes you get it in 3 or 4 years but its the same as everything else.

This is different, Chris Roberts is a very well known and hugely successful game developer from the 1990's and early 2000's, in 2012 he pitched an idea and asked the gaming community (not a publisher) for funding, i could be wrong but what he asked for was about $2m to make a space sim not too unlike Freelancer and Wing Commander rolled into one.

He got that money and more, a lot more, so much more that Chris Roberts made a new pitch for a much larger project, he asked the backers if he should stop the funding campaign and just use it to make the game he originally pitched or if he should continue the funding campaign to make this much more ambitious game.
The backers voted to keep the funding campaign going and make the bigger game, the original game was earmarked for 2014, that was probably not going to happen these things never ever do, more realistic would have been 2016, yes its now 2018 but as far as 'most' of those of us who have actually financed the project it is not run over time, we told Chris to keep going, its taking longer than we would like but we also understand what he is trying to achieve takes a lot of work, they are literally inventing a lot of technology in house to make it work, things that others have said are impossible, like traveling 1m or more KM through space and landing on a Moon / Planet without there being a load screen, impossible they said, we are doing this right now in 3.0.

As for all the TV shows, part of the backers agreement is that we get to play whats stable enough for us to do so, its why we are playing a game that still isn't much more than a few places to explore, its simply Chris filling that promise, another promise was to keep us well informed on things still in development, now that can just be Chris reading from a PDF or it can be made into something much more, i prefer the later and financing it does not come out of the development budget, its paid for by monthly subscribers.

There are quite a few games that have taken 10 years to make, i think Skyrim is one of them, you can fit Skyrim in one of Delemar's Moon craters, the largest one.

LnUkhsj.jpg.png

To get a better sense of this more complete the SQ42 Vertical Slice is a good place to start, its the single player campaign to the Multiplayer game that is Star Citizen, its a story out of the games lore.

Again, this is still in development.

Soldato
I thought I'd get some full answers, people seem quite passionate about all this.

Not knocking you fellas if it's what you like, but it's a very odd concept for 'doing a game', that I hope doesn't catch on as it's just all far too tenuous. I get it's a novel and niche way of making a game, but if all games were made this way, then we wouldn't have any games now would we ;)

I'm speaking as a long timer gamer by the way and the Wing Commander series was one of my all time favorites. The premise of Star Citizen pitched to me as a younger lad would have literally made me **** the bed with excitement. it's sort of the game of my dreams, but now I'm much older and more jaded I just don't have the energy or time to get into all this, just seems far too complicated.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Poor choice of phrasing on my part bud. I meant I'm not surprised to see full and and detailed responses to my post, like yours was, as people invested in the game seem quite, invested in it! Get my drift? :)

people thought Kingdom Come was too complicated. It's been well received.

Some of us want a game where you as the player have to actually do things yourself and not simply mash the same button and move on. I want something more involved than the generic nonsense we've been getting for years. Elite Dangerous was a step in the right direction, I'm hoping SC will go further but I'm not losing sleep over it. it'll come out if/when it's ever done then we'll see.

Still it's nice to have games even try something unusual rather than copy each other endlessly.

Those backing the game just want to give someone the chance. worth a punt imho.

Soldato
There are quite a few games that have taken 10 years to make, i think Skyrim is one of them, you can fit Skyrim in one of Delemar's Moon craters, the largest one.

I agree with most of your points, but the one I've quoted is a poor argument.

How much actual content is there in that moon crater compared to Skyrim? Size isn't everything, in fact arguably it can be detrimental if your game world is excessively large (compared to content) purely so you can boast about scale. Imagine how Skyrim would have been if you had to walk for 20-30 minutes just to get from a town to a dungeon or for a couple of hours between towns... realistic? Yes. Technically impressive? Sure. Fun? Not in the slightest!

There's also ignoring the fact that it takes a lot more time and effort to generate miles of mountains, plains and forests than it does a desolate crater.

I get that space is really big, but there also have to be some concessions made so it's actually a game and not just a "switch on autopilot and go afk" simulator :p

Caporegime
I agree with most of your points, but the one I've quoted is a poor argument.

How much actual content is there in that moon crater compared to Skyrim? Size isn't everything, in fact arguably it can be detrimental if your game world is excessively large (compared to content) purely so you can boast about scale. Imagine how Skyrim would have been if you had to walk for 20-30 minutes just to get from a town to a dungeon or for a couple of hours between towns... realistic? Yes. Technically impressive? Sure. Fun? Not in the slightest!

There's also ignoring the fact that it takes a lot more time and effort to generate miles of mountains, plains and forests than it does a desolate crater.

I get that space is really big, but there also have to be some concessions made so it's actually a game and not just a "switch on autopilot and go afk" simulator :p

You're absolutely right but that's not the point i'm making, the technology to get seamless transitioning from 1cm to 1m Km granularity has never been done before and its extremely difficult, its that and many other reasons why its apparently 'taking so long'

They put this video out with great pride when they first cracked it.

Back
Top Bottom