******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
OP
Still haven't spent anything, think I'm in shock or something lol Neither really grabs me as a ship I want or need at the moment, bit disappointed to be honest!

Permabanned
Fps looks good but for the love of God they need to concentrate! I feel they have too many ideas and its gonna cost them by trying to be all things

Associate
lol :D
Im tempted to get the Redeemer, then CCU up to the Retaliator in the future, i could probably do the same with the $85 Herald, but its still going to cost the same amount in the end, and if the Herald takes 12mo to hangar, and the 'tali is flyable in 9mo, then im almost certainly waiting for a CCU path. Plus, hangar toys!!
Theres only about 8 of us in our BF clan/org, and 4 of us with more than 1 sub-$80 ship (and follow things fairly closely) and between us we've got a nice mix of paths, thats my focus, i'll buy what i fancy, but i wouldnt buy the Carrack as i know it'll trample on our org leaders Aquilla. If CIG can move the Alpha from his Conny to a 325 package, i think he'd buy it anyway.

In total, i believe we've got a Reclaimer, Starfarer, Aquilla, Freelancer DUR & MAX, Cutlass Red, about 6 capable single seaters, and 5 LN's, plus a Redeemer/Retaliator most likely.

@moon
The FPS stuff is being handled by an sub-contracted FPS team (Illfonic) who have experience of FPS games in the Cryengine, so the only thing CIG do is relay data with them and whatnot, and Foundry 42 (here in Manchester) is dealing with the Sq42 side incl a lot of the military ships, so they'll be doing the MoCap stuff and sending that to Illfonic.

They've got a decent handle on the whole thing IMO, they outsource where they feel they can, like the AI stuff is handled by a small UK team.
Theres a lot of studios involved, Austin, Santa Monica & Manchester are in-house, they've got Illfonic (FPS) in Denver, Turbulent (Web) and a load of freelance artists around the world too. Im sure theres a couple more im forgetting too, like the AI guys.
Its just a case of overseeing it all, working together, and getting it done. They're not spreading themselves thin, they're expanding and outsourcing as the project requires them to.

Soldato
Fps looks good but for the love of God they need to concentrate! I feel they have too many ideas and its gonna cost them by trying to be all things
Good thing "they" didn't focus on it - it was all outsourced to [redacted].

Still haven't spent anything, think I'm in shock or something lol Neither really grabs me as a ship I want or need at the moment, bit disappointed to be honest!
Same, but I have a reason - busy saving pennies for our what will be the most glorious ship to grace this game - our lord and saviour... the Carrack. :D

Soldato
I really love the idea of the game but... something doesn't sit right selling ships in an unreleased/unfinished game for significant amounts of real world cash. Hope it all works out for you guys and I look forward to checking it out when finished :)

Meantime, ED (no hating, they're both bringing the genre back into vogue so it helps us all).

Where do things sit with SS atm? Is it still just the simulator waves or there something of a single/multiplayer universe to explore?

Last edited:
Associate

Don't agree.....nothing wrong with great ambition and pushing boundaries to make what could be one of the greatest games ever made.

Multiple teams working on multiple parts and they all merge.

Im quite happy how the game is coming along tbh.

Soldato
I really love the idea of the game but... something doesn't sit right selling ships in an unreleased/unfinished game for significant amounts of real world cash. Hope it all works out for you guys and I look forward to checking it out when finished :)

Meantime, ED (no hating, they're both bringing the genre back into vogue so it helps us all).

Where do things sit with SS atm? Is it still just the simulator waves or there something of a single/multiplayer universe to explore?
Essentially donating to charity with the trust/faith in receiving a great reward in the end.

You mean AC? Still only dogfighting and racing - more ships are slowly making it in to AC and v1.0 should be out before end of the year. FPS module will drop early next year, then planetside/social and multicrew ships in AC. Once all those gameplay elements have dropped (along with other things like the double precision) it can finally start being stitched together into a foundation for the persistent universe.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, beyond AC, is there an actual game to play? I'll admit I never quite got where things were with the general play side of stuff. It just seemed a bit... far off release wise and wallet rapey.

Genuinely not here to cause a fuss (aware there's a lot of ED/SC rivalry). I can't find many youtube vids beyond arena commander. Is there a general "fly about mining/exploring/fighting NPC's/etc" side to the game that's already running?

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, beyond AC, is there an actual game to play? I'll admit I never quite got where things were with the general play side of stuff. It just seemed a bit... far off release wise and wallet rapey.

Genuinely not here to cause a fuss (aware there's a lot of ED/SC rivalry). I can't find many youtube vids beyond arena commander. Is there a general "fly about mining/exploring/fighting NPC's/etc" side to the game that's already running?
No, not yet - we are still a year to 18 months from having these mechanics in place.

The game is being developed in a different way from Elite, as well as being much further behind in overall development, which is why those will be some of the last things that happen as the various modules are brought together to form the basis of the persistant universe.

2016 will be the year when that really kicks off. 2015 is about getting all the basic modules up and running.

As a side note, the first section of squardon42 (the singleplayer) should be available sometime in the second half of next year.

I know it's difficult to accept and it seems a long way off, but the various dev teams only really came together in their current capacity this year, so there has been a lot of restructuring and working out the different production pipelines as well as building the tools that will serve as a foundation for building the rest of the game. It was all groundwork and it is still most likely 2 years before the final persistant universe will go live.

Considering it basically started from scratch 2 years ago, 4 years in total isn't a bad outlook.

Soldato
OP
I'm only really worried about how they join it all up, the modules may be great on their own eventually but the transition from one to the other will be just as important, I hate instancing and this will do a lot of it!

Associate
LTI = Lifetime Insurance
Basically means you wont need to pay insurance costs, one less bill to pay for. It was offered early on to reward early backers, then went a bit mental when those who werent around for it, wanted it, and then started paying silly money for ships with it ($100 + ship cost, 160% price is typical for most med/large ships). Now its included with ships in their concept stage, which is when CIG release info about it, so it might be little more than artwork, although this last lot has had a WIP 3D model in the sites holoviewer to take a look at. But there are 3 stages, concept, hangar ready (you can walk around the ship in your hangar) and flight ready (in Arena Commander or whatever we have at the time).

Its a lot of fuss about an awful lot of nothing really, a basic jobs pay, 10% would cover a months insurance, so its nothing all in all, but folks foam at the mouth about it :D Its nice to have, but thats about it deep down.

Soldato
Also, as far as I am aware, the insurance is clocked down when you're in the game, so 6 months 'game' insurance is 6 month in time only when on, so if you're not around for a month, you'll still have some left.

No indication whether they'll have warnings in the game to let you know that your insurance is about to expire before you leave a hangar though.

Soldato
I'm only really worried about how they join it all up, the modules may be great on their own eventually but the transition from one to the other will be just as important, I hate instancing and this will do a lot of it!
Instancing is my main concern as well, because that's going to be the backbone of player and npc interaction, especially the number of players they will be able to get together in one instance.

I think 100 players is extremely optimistic - they'll probably achieve it eventually but I'd be surprised if they achieved it before launch.

I dont even know what LTI means.
Edit: ninjad!

Soldato
I don't think the instancing of 100 or so ship will be a problem for the servers, I think it will be the clients that struggle. The servers will hold the calculations and various other elements, but really the gpu's of the clients will be stretched at that many ships on screen!

Caporegime
Controls are horrible since patch.

Using Keyboard and Mouse

They are unresponsive with some sort wired dead zone where its all or nothing, its like getting a tank slapper at 90 MPH, you over turn because there is no middle ground of turning just right, you try to bring it back and its full lock the otherway after a 200ms delay.

Horrible.

Soldato
Controls are horrible since patch.

Using Keyboard and Mouse

They are unresponsive with some sort wired dead zone where its all or nothing, its like getting a tank slapper at 90 MPH, you over turn because there is no middle ground of turning just right, you try to bring it back and its full lock the otherway after a 200ms delay.

Horrible.
Hmm, I haven't played since the patch, that doesn't sound good for kb/m.

Caporegime
I guess I need to nerd myself into this game more..but im confused.

So LTI, is it free with a ship? do you pay extra? if you have to pay extra (realworld money) then that's a bit wrong? you pay for the game but if you die and your ship is destroyed you cant play again until you buy a new ship?

The only ship I think I have is the AMD mustang, no idea if it has LTI or even where to look to find out.

Caporegime
I guess I need to nerd myself into this game more..but im confused.

So LTI, is it free with a ship? do you pay extra? if you have to pay extra (realworld money) then that's a bit wrong? you pay for the game but if you die and your ship is destroyed you cant play again until you buy a new ship?

The only ship I think I have is the AMD mustang, no idea if it has LTI or even where to look to find out.

You and me both, same questions. :)

Back
Top Bottom