******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Associate
Yeah, theres elements within the community that i can understand, i didnt particularly like the fixed time-period for rental, but at the same time could understand it as a simplification of a more appropriate solution down the line. However that turned out to be slightly different (it didnt even hint that it wasnt a 7-day period, but 7 individual 'day passes', if you like), not ideal, but not terrible either.

As for EvE, ive no idea how they compare actually, but what little i do know hasnt really made me want to try it either.
Compared to Elite however, i watched about 10hrs of 1 persons 'lets play' type coverage around 6-8wk before release and was really encouraged by what i saw, and then after a couple of episodes it might as well have been the same footage with different commentary. Its too cold & empty, i dont look at it and think wow, i want to go explore. Its a vastly different interpretation of what the future looks like, and without knowing lore (doesnt look like it really bothered creating any, any which is relevant at least) its like its still just the human race but expanded into space, all very lonely and vast. In comparison SC, just looking at both AC combat maps (even the race track) there's more variety and anticipation of space in them than all of ED combined IMO.
Its more colourful, in terms of the universe and its population. Theres different races, a wide variety of roles, a rich lore which pulls you in.

It also seems as though the fact that we're heavily outnumbered by NPCs means people will be able to do a lot of the things they want to do, without it always being another player its happening to. If you want to be a pirate and shoot on sight, then theres supposedly a 90% chance it'll be an NPC and its not going to P... anyone off. Likewise if you just want do provide a service role (mining, cargo etc) then the general population will act like you'd expect, and if its possible a pirate could be there then you know the score, rather than always expecting the shoot-on-sight mentality. It seems like it'll be more accommodating for people to simply do what they want without it always being at someones expense or w/e. We'll have to wait and see on that though.

Soldato
I've kept up to date about the REC "drama" but didn't post here as it's mostly just that - pointless drama which most OCUKers wouldn't care about anyway. The vocal minority need a slap down from time to time, what I do find slightly depressing is that it's taken CR personally to intervene on more than a few occasions.

Its becoming more frequent of late which is sad really.

Soldato
I just want a living breathing solar system to dart around in. Do I mind that there are only a handful of systems to tinker around in? No, if they are populated and well thought out, not just proceduraly generated with instances to generic areas... Then I'm a happy camper. That's what killed ED for me pretty quickly, I couldn't accept that it's worth my time to go out and explore.

"Ooooo, there is a dark area in XYZ, I might go there and hunt me some pirate scum". That's what I want... "Ooooo, this is a popular trading route, I'm going to pirate me some cargo".

Elite Dangerous has flying down perfectly, my god, so good and fun.

If SC is anything like that, then I'm happy.

All I want is depth and detail!

Soldato
I just want a living breathing solar system to dart around in. Do I mind that there are only a handful of systems to tinker around in? No, if they are populated and well thought out, not just proceduraly generated with instances to generic areas... Then I'm a happy camper. That's what killed ED for me pretty quickly, I couldn't accept that it's worth my time to go out and explore.

"Ooooo, there is a dark area in XYZ, I might go there and hunt me some pirate scum". That's what I want... "Ooooo, this is a popular trading route, I'm going to pirate me some cargo".

Same sentiments here. ED bored me to tears very quickly, travel to distant galaxies yet you enter practically the same station each time. There is no variety or depth to the game.

Combat is spot on though.

Soldato
There's a reason I stay well clear of the SC Forums now days. i had a quick look at what the REC drama was about.... confirmed the community has got even worse than it was then backed out the forums all within 10 minutes.

SC has one of the most toxic forums I know of. IT was so much better in the early days before it became popular

Soldato
OP
I was getting on fine with Elite and still play it a little - but the instant I flew out of the core systems to explore I realised just how wide it was compared to how deep it was (mile wide, inch deep) and lost a lot of my enthusiasm for it. It's one of the few occasions where I've wished for less, better quality content and hand crafted systems. I can't however fault it for not sticking to the remake idea, but I really hope they give it an injection of good content soon so I'll probably uninstall it.

I expect Star Citizen to be quite the opposite, but as always I'm being realistic about it - SC is a massive undertaking.

Soldato
Give me this and i'll no doubt be happy.

Nice looking detailed ships
Ability to walk around them in space and have guild members along for the ride.
Ability to visit and land on new planets in new star systems.
Walk around and encounter people on those planets.
Group up properly and enjoy combat, trade runs, exploration.

I don't want or need 50 billion stars that i can neither visit or do anything worth while around them. I don't want to basically visit the same station time and time again.

Soldato
With regards to the community, i'm sure CIG have thick skins. That said i'm sure they would love to close the forums down completely and keep everything in house, just get on with developing what they want.

Sadly gamers are beyond entitled half the time and when placed behind a computer screen they feel they can say and do what they want.

I've not kept up to date with the game for months, what we currently have i'm not a lover of so just let them get on with it and will come back when fps module is released.

Soldato
I was getting on fine with Elite and still play it a little - but the instant I flew out of the core systems to explore I realised just how wide it was compared to how deep it was (mile wide, inch deep) and lost a lot of my enthusiasm for it. It's one of the few occasions where I've wished for less, better quality content and hand crafted systems. I can't however fault it for not sticking to the remake idea, but I really hope they give it an injection of good content soon so I'll probably uninstall it.

I expect Star Citizen to be quite the opposite, but as always I'm being realistic about it - SC is a massive undertaking.

This pretty much sums up Elite and SC for me

Soldato
I stopped watching star citizen videos each week when they canned WMH and haven't dabbled in AC since November. I might jump in for a fly soon to see the changes but im waiting for a more substantial update. It's all on the backburner for me.

Elite is just empty and feels unfinished and in my opinion shouldnt have been released so early

Soldato
OP
I've spent my load (ooer) already, only thing that will really cost more is potentially subscription and tbh I may just melt a ship to pay it in RSI credit. I'll probably dip back into the grey market to do it on the cheap (RSI are worth less than dollars).

Soldato
There's a reason I stay well clear of the SC Forums now days. i had a quick look at what the REC drama was about.... confirmed the community has got even worse than it was then backed out the forums all within 10 minutes.

SC has one of the most toxic forums I know of. IT was so much better in the early days before it became popular
I too have stayed clear of the forums since the end of last year - everytime I look in again it seems it was a good decision.

I'll probably become more interested once the Carrack enters the production pipeline and AC 2.0 is near.

FPS module doesn't interest me, and my current machine can't handle AC well enough without an upgrade as it is.

Associate

My understanding is that the majority of the developed planetsides will be kinda Ikea planets, to probably do it a disservice. So a bar will be made up of say 20 unique asset, 4 stools, 8 seating areas, 8 bar surfaces etc. Then textures would give each of those a different look. Plug them all in to create a unique layout, and i guess what you end up with is something not too different to walking around a shopping center. The internals of each shop dont change much, but each is individual and has its own feel, whether its Mark & Sparks or Victoria's Secret!
Each planet i suspect will have its own unique features, whether its the huge Terra Tower or Helios with the ocean waves crashing against its huge walls.
I suppose to stick to the shopping analogy, its going to be the difference between modern shopping mall type buildings and your old market high-street types. You can go to a large fishing village/town (w/e) or a busy city center, and they all comprise of the same old shop, but they each have their own individuality and a vastly different surrounding.

The undeveloped planets, theres a good chance the majority of those feel a little cookie-cutter-like as they'll be procedurally generated and probably done so with a decent variety of assets, but they wont be sculpted in the same way the main planets would.

Depth and detail is pretty much SC MO. Just read the design document on Mobiglas a week last Friday. Anyone who is able to such lengths to explain, what is essentially treated as just a GUI system in most games, then if thats not depth and detail then i dunno what is.
Thats one of the big things that draws me in, im sure a lot of developers do put a lot of thought into things (and many dont) but CIG are really capable of getting that message across, you can tell the stuff they're doing has been micro-analysed and fleshed out. It might not be available, but they know what to extreme detail what they want and the path to achieving it, and i find that very comforting for the future and interesting to read about in the present.

Caporegime
Should i or not?

I have the AMD Mustang, it looks like i can upgrade to the Avenger for just £4.20.
But i quite like having the AMD Mustang, i'm thinking limited edition - collectors ship of the future and all that....

But as a usable ship its fast and thats it, i want something a lot more versatile that packs a bigger punch.

Does anyone have the Avenger, whats it like?

Associate
Avenger aint all that great IMO, Omega is a lot more fun to fly.

You should hold off until we havae AC credits and you can test out the Avenger yourself as you will not be able to undo the upgrade.

Plus melting would only give you the value of the CCU back.

Back
Top Bottom