******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Soldato
hmm I was thinking of melting my Carrack or something for it but can't bring myself to buy anything now they have added tax.

We've got a couple in the org now so if you don't want to get rid of the carrack I don't think it's a big deal. Otherwise, as above melted funds aren't vatable so you do get $25 in change if you melt and purchase.

Soldato
I haven't really looked into it since I bought a Constellation way back. Are people really buying and selling ships for a game that isn't going to be out for years??

Updating client, 20 gig download! Maybe I will actually be able to run at least the hangar module, previous builds have simply not worked with my crossfire setup.

A bit annoying my Constellation is now a jack of all trades generic ship. Might have to upgrade it to the Aguila.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm so the engine is still fubared for me. Lighting, textures all screwed up. What AMD drivers/settings do people use to get something playable?

Associate
I haven't really looked into it since I bought a Constellation way back. Are people really buying and selling ships for a game that isn't going to be out for years??

Updating client, 20 gig download! Maybe I will actually be able to run at least the hangar module, previous builds have simply not worked with my crossfire setup.

A bit annoying my Constellation is now a jack of all trades generic ship. Might have to upgrade it to the Aguila.

People are 'buying' ships, just like you did way back, but then they're also changing their mind and buying something else... like you're considering for the Aquila ;)

As you've obviously noticed, things change and when something new comes along and people understand more about whats involved, like with the Mining design doc, it sounds quite interesting and not just a monotonous point and click fest they'd perhaps thought it'd be.
I put $500 worth of small ships on my account because i wanted to use the funds to buy a Retaliator & Banu MM, although A) I didnt realise they'd both gone up $25, and B) I ended up buying neither thanks to seeing the Reclaimer :D
People change their mind.

Also, the Constellation was always a 'jack of all trades' ship, it was never specific to anything. Nor was the Cutlass or Freelancer. I do think the Aquila is a fantastic ship if exploration is what you're into.
The commercial almost forces you to buy one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG-82TakEqk (i wont embed, everyone's seen it).

As for hangar issues. I dont have flickering textures or anything like that either. 270x currently (MSI has my 290x to replace its fans) and both were fine, not ideal framerate of course but i dont recall any visual issues. Im using the Omega drivers from xmas, but its been a long time (6mo perhaps) since ive seen issues. Im pretty sure Xfire has been implemented, but while i have a pair of 6870s they're probably only on par with the 270x anyway and not worth the hassle.

Soldato
Actually Arena Commander is working fine for me, it's just the hangar that is a mess. I'm running a pair of 280x, tried a few different lots of settings...but not that bothered about the hangar.

I didn't realise you could cash in your ship for store credit. Exploration looks good to me still and I like the idea of crewed ships so I will probably upgrade to the Aguila at some point.

The mining ship looks pretty badass though.....tempting..

Soldato
Actually Arena Commander is working fine for me, it's just the hangar that is a mess. I'm running a pair of 280x, tried a few different lots of settings...but not that bothered about the hangar.

I didn't realise you could cash in your ship for store credit. Exploration looks good to me still and I like the idea of crewed ships so I will probably upgrade to the Aguila at some point.

The mining ship looks pretty badass though.....tempting..

How old is your package?

Older ones came with nice things like lifetime insurance and alpha access that you cant get anymore. You can keep those things when you upgrade instead of melting though.

Soldato
OP
Nope!

Cant resolve the address, neither can nslookup :confused:

I suspect a lot of your issues with steam, games, saves etc are related to your ISP rather than anything else mate. Too many things not working at the same time lol.

Someone had an issue about 8 months ago with our TS, it turned out it was an issue with their ISP DNS servers.

Soldato
I suspect a lot of your issues with steam, games, saves etc are related to your ISP rather than anything else mate. Too many things not working at the same time lol.

Someone had an issue about 8 months ago with our TS, it turned out it was an issue with their ISP DNS servers.

I use google's DNS ! In fact I've tried both + the isp's default DNS :confused:

Trying to work out how an isp can cause a save game problem :confused: Unless it's getting corrupted on route. Plausible as BT is doing fibre rollout round here.

Associate
Seems this thread got neglected, AtV, RtV notes, Orion mini game and... CitizenCon details, which i suspect will be of interest to quite a few in here

Around the Verse

AtV Sneak peak (Cutlass reworking)

Reverse the Verse notes:
I've had to re-write them, as they were done in Q&A form, rather than just giving the information.
  • Mining mini-game is expected tomorrow.
  • More artwork for the Orion will be available tomorrow, with the cockpit location reworked this week due to community feedback.
  • The 'no landing' concept notes seems to be wrong too, with landing covered in the George Hull art too.
  • The Orion does have a jump-drive, pretty much everything does (many small ships dont, but can fit one).
  • No discounts for CIG employees.
  • No news on the AMA CR was scheduled to do after DICE, its hard enough finding time for 10FTC, definitely wont happen in March.
  • UK Team are going through their tickets, more CIG injuries involved.
  • Next concept sale is likely to be the Vanguard deep space fighter (not in next couple of weeks though), then the Hull series (A-E).
  • A couple of fans got a look at the Vanguard yesterday and they liked it.
  • They were originally going to do the Hull C, but now they’re going to do those all at once.
  • They may allow pledging for the Hull A, B & D, they want to see how the C goes first (its CIG, ofc they'll sell them! Im sure they'd said D was an NPC)
  • A video tour of the new German studio will come soon.
  • 'Arena Commando' is proving to be a popular title for the FPS module.
  • The 'Wonderful World of Star Citizen' with Disco Lando will be once a month.
  • No PTU release tomorrow, all hands on deck for 1.1
  • Work is being done to correct the Aurora Op.Pitchfork skin.
  • Terra is Terra, no name changing (apparently people want it changed??)
  • UK CS supports English and German, and trying their best with others too.
  • Physical pledge packages may return, uncertain at the moment.
  • Still no update on Avenger variants.
  • CCU changes are coming 'soon-ish'.
  • SxSX will have a few bits to show (doesnt sound like it'll be anything significant)
  • PAX East will have FPS stations to try
  • Uncertain if they'll be streamed, "It costs money, so not sure". (sounds like a no, being fairly close)
  • Cinematics team is working on SQ42 currently, so no commercials at PAX East.
  • Cutlass hasnt got bigger (whats the point of sending it to F42 if its not going to get bigger??!)
  • Will energy riot shields be a thing? Yes!
  • No info on new Corvette other than it’s been put into their schedule for the future.
  • New org system is delayed as they rework a bunch of things.
  • The Bengal is leading the box art vote.
  • Will there be a SQ42 separate purchase deal down the line? Yes, it will break out separately from packages (they've said the same for Alpha passes and about 10mo on they're still locked to the package)
  • You will be able to share exploration data with friends via mobiGlas. "This presents gameplay elements - who do you trust with your data?"
  • No updates on 64bit precision. This will also be asked of Chris during 10FTC.
  • No news on TNGS 2, everyone wants to do them, their priority is on more urgent matters, but they want to do more.
  • New damage system being developed on Gladius.
  • New mapstreaming for multicrew requiring a “certain multicrew ship”
  • No new info on the SC HOTAS.
  • Mouse and keyboard deal is still being balanced.
  • You can fly any ship on your own with NPCs, though it might not be very efficient.
  • No new info on Merchantman.
  • Scythe in hangar soon-ish, not 1.1.
  • Capture the Idris is still a planned game mode, but for 2.0
  • No Gladiator news. Had considered rushing to get it in between 1.1 and 2.0, but not sure if that’ll work out.
  • The Gladius is cool, will have a free-fly weekend done in the future (note: presumably after its flyable ;))
  • REC wont unlock things permanently, purely rental, it helps them test a lot.
  • No Freelancer news.
  • Q) Is Quantum Travel require to travel large distances? Or can you just drift and not worry about hitting invisible walls? A)
    Quantum Travel is needed to get anywhere of consequence - otherwise, it would take a really, really long time
  • New dogfighting maps are in the works, but they can’t talk about it.
  • No Conny updates (at this point, im thinking 1 line listing 90% of the ships and 'no update' would have been quicker!!). "This is because the new character rig for 1.1 changes a lot of things. Characters suddenly couldn’t interact with things or sit in chairs and such, so touch-ups were required"
  • Idris is 'not crazy-far out' from being hangar-ready.

Nothing in there of any real value IMO, i think the Vanguard as next concept sale is about the only thing new and unexpected, a lot of it seems to be updates (or lack of) on things and covering questions we've had answered before.

Mining mini-game
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14535-Orion-Vault-A-Loan-In-The-Verse
I dont think its unreasonable to say that its not exactly 'fun', but it is kinda informative, it kinda gives you an idea of the role. Its not just stroll up to a rock, mush it up and it poops gold.
Its rather confusing at first IMO, but its somewhere between fun & interesting.

by Will or James or Ben (not sure) said:
Gamescom Event
Friday, August 7, 2015
E-werk
Schanzenstraße 37
51063 Köln, Germany

CitizenCon
Saturday, October 10, 2015
The Runway Visitor Park
Sunbank Lane
Altrincham
WA15 8XQ
(Manchester, UK)

We will of course have more information as we get closer to the events but we just wanted to give you guys a heads up incase you want to start planning now.

** thats from Bit-tech, havent seen it anywhere else yet, so i assume its correct. **

http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/content/runwayvisitorpark

Associate
I think they are getting too ambitious. I just backed what I thought was a game, not a way of life!

Thank GOG that the new Lucasfilm releases have satisfied my desire for a space sim.

Associate
I just backed what I thought was a game, not a way of life!

You take that back!! :mad::mad::D

In what aspect do you think they're getting too ambitious? Yeah, its definitely ambitious, but the fundamental building blocks are there, its all achievable. Whether it all gels together into the game its going to be unknown, but i've been satisfied (blown away, mostly) with what they've shown, you can tell by the way they talk about things and the importance of communicating with their community and using their feedback (good and bad) to shape things, there hasnt been something thats made be concerned things are going pair shaped. Nothing to say it wont either, but they're jumping the obvious early hurdles (planetside landing is a pretty good example) and showing now warning signs that its all talk.

Still a long, long way to go though.

@Dave
I'll be going. Relatively easy to get to it too, considering i dont drive.

Soldato
You take that back!! :mad::mad::D

In what aspect do you think they're getting too ambitious? Yeah, its definitely ambitious, but the fundamental building blocks are there, its all achievable. Whether it all gels together into the game its going to be unknown, but i've been satisfied (blown away, mostly) with what they've shown, you can tell by the way they talk about things and the importance of communicating with their community and using their feedback (good and bad) to shape things, there hasnt been something thats made be concerned things are going pair shaped. Nothing to say it wont either, but they're jumping the obvious early hurdles (planetside landing is a pretty good example) and showing now warning signs that its all talk.

Still a long, long way to go though.

@Dave
I'll be going. Relatively easy to get to it too, considering i dont drive.

Im less than an hour away so would be good to meet up, face to names and all that. I'll be grabbing pub lunch and a beer no doubt too.

Back
Top Bottom