******Official Star Citizen / Squadron 42 Thread******

Associate
First time playing the new version last night and that was a combination of good and the bad. Flight model is going to take a while to get used to. And the NPC ships are straight up broken; talk about being instagibbed.

I was surprised how well most keybinds and been kept for once but they've messed around with some in a weird way and a few new ones to add. Prone was swapped to Ctrl and Crouch C, found that out in a bunker. :D

The new inventory, once I'd got used to it, was reasonable and generally fast and responsive. It's still useful being able to tab to the old version but started to find I didn't need it.

NPC ships are insane with the server lag. Combined with still not (and prob never :() having a list of ships within say 20k of you, I would hear "Contact detected" and while scroll through everyone in the area, "Shields under attack" and then I respawned. Seems a combination of factions including general server lag is causing the NPCs to be able to dump into you and then the server catches up and it all happens at once. I partially like how they seem to send reinforcements but they turn up too often. Killed a Bounty Extraction mission (target is on the ground but often in the open, wreck sites etc.) landed to loot their body quickly and by the time I'd put their armour on a NPC Cutty had shown up and was blasting my ship, a full shields Buccaneer. I was ~10meters from it and didn't have time to get back in and take off before death.

Associate
Not sure if it's my side or not but I noticed things like pressing f to open a door seems to have a noticeable delay I don't recall before.
I noticed that, especially when looting bodies. I decided before you could hold F and spam click and it would popup the second it registered. Now waiting a second for the pressF box to appear then hitting it works better. An annoyance I had was holding F on something for the radial menu, that lagged but I decided it was intentional animation lag. To make it a smooth popup/expand style thing.

It was a big patch with major changes. It's not had the dev time it required, I feel as they rushed it out for Invictus.

Soldato
Be prepared for bugs.... lots of bugs. Ironically free fly is the worst time to try the game as the servers get hammered so performance goes down the toilet.
I've watched some vids and the game looks like something I'd like to get into, mainly I just want to give it a go before I fork out cash on it, I was so close to buying a starter package last month.

Soldato
I have to say the flight and medical gameplay are both far worse in 3.23 for me to point I am not enjoying the patch at all and the UI for the star map really isn't any better generally in function so yeah so far not really patch had hoped for myself.

Soldato
Not sure if it's my side or not but I noticed things like pressing f to open a door seems to have a noticeable delay I don't recall before.

I've noticed the same. This is usually due to servers being hammered. If you get on a quiet/high FPS server the delay is minimal. It also affects NPC behaviour and (IIRC) clipping of packages and items....which explains why doing deliveries my parcels keep falling through my ship and I fly off leaving them on the floor.

It's also why I avoid free-fly events. It's great to look at the ships, but the servers get absolute battered and the overall experience is dire.

Soldato
Soldato
Man of Honour
BIG NEWS

4.0!!!!!

In other words, funding is down and they need to secure more for next year. The cult will never learn.

Soldato
4.0 is not coming this year unless it's completely cut down to bare essentials.
I think it will.

They can't cut it down much. For instance it's pyro and all it's planets, jump gate and server meshing, or none at all.

Engineering gameplay could be cut off though.

The mission and transit refactoring is part of server meshing and is a major dependency for it so that goes with server meshing together.

Basically cig either can cut 70 percent of it (server mesh and all of pyro) and leave just engineer gameplay, new mfd huds etc, or reverse it and cut engineer gameplay etc. A lot of things in that release all depend on each other

edit: here is what i mean.

What goes/releases together:

Pyro/SM
  • Server Meshing V1
  • Mission System Refactor
  • Transit System Refactor
  • Pyro I
  • Pyro II - Monox
  • Pyro III - Bloom
  • Pyro IV
  • Pyro V with moons
  • Pyro VI - Terminus
  • Pyro Space Stations
  • Outposts - Colonialism
  • Jump Points
  • Solar Burst

Extra bits/QOL/Features that can be cut individually.

The part highlighted in bold could technically be released as a whole aka engineering gameplay but they can of course cut life support(no pun indented ) , charge, drain, fire hazerd and extingisher and just release engineering bit like what we see in AC now
  • Life Support
  • Engineering
  • Charge/Drain
  • Multi-Tool Updates
  • Fire Hazard
  • Fire Extinguisher
  • MFD Rework and New Displays
  • Quasi Grazer (cows)
  • Additional Player Customization
  • RSI Zeus MkII ES

You cant release PYRO without sm and you cant release SM without the system refactor.

And dont forget, 4.0 is the pyro/SM patch. i can bet u a JPG ship that 4.0 will have SM and pyro as a bare minimum

Last edited:
Soldato
I have very little faith in CIG, Anything they say like for 4.0 being Q3, Add at least another year onto it.
This is the first time in a very very very long time that they have put 4.0 in the roadmap and first time it has been classed as "the next patch"

Here is why i think they will release it to LIVE by end of the year:

1. Pyro was tested last year in october/nov with 3 planets, pyro stations and the outposts and they ran fine and was a sucess
  2. Enginnering gameplay is already in todays LIVE build in AC, much like how Master mode was first introduced
  3. Server meshing test happend a couple of months ago with a grey box jump point functional that let players go through pyro and stanton.
  4. Server meshing test 2, stanton was split into 4 DGS nodes and it again proved to be a huge succes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-sTsfIqPtg&t=1s He was able to see players through another mesh and fire across servers....
  5. Server mesh test 3: they managed to get 700 players in stanton before the shard exploded lol
These are just my opinions with factual reasons above as to why i am confident that 4.0 will launch by the end of the year with at least these features:

• Server Meshing V1
  • Mission System Refactor
  • Transit System Refactor
  • Pyro I
  • Pyro II - Monox
  • Pyro III - Bloom
  • Pyro IV
  • Pyro V with moons
  • Pyro VI - Terminus
  • Pyro Space Stations
  • Outposts - Colonialism
  • Jump Points