******Official War Thunder Thread*******

Soldato
So I downloaded this over the weekend and spend Sat and Sunday playing. Managed to hit level 5 and currently have a Hurricane MK1 and Spitfire as my primary and secondary along with 3 bi-planes, 2 of which are reserves.

I'm really enjoying this game but I'm having issues with squads. When my bro and I squad up, the game modes appear to change to Domination and Air Superiority (both of which I despise).

Is this usual or were we unlucky with the choice of Arcade battle?

Also, how many of you are using KB & Mouse?

Soldato
For a game which is free, I'm impressed with the level of detail. Very playable and highly addictive!

Yup, absolutely tonnes of replay value in this game. My favourite game of all time tbh; it's certainly the one which has held my attention for the longest.

I use joystick. Lots of discussion on joystick versus KB+M in this thread in the past but I cannot bring myself to play a flight sim without using a joystick. I find that aircraft are harder to control with the joystick (no instructor limiting your maneuvers, for example) and aiming is MILES harder (no sniping like with KB+M) but on the flip side you can pull off more extreme flying in dogfights by pushing your plane right to the limits and beyond. This really does make you learn a plane and its flight model though, some are just trickier as they have different characteristics such as stall speed, roll speed, dive speed etc. It's much more rewarding getting kills with the joystick too.

Soldato
Yup, absolutely tonnes of replay value in this game. My favourite game of all time tbh; it's certainly the one which has held my attention for the longest.

I use joystick. Lots of discussion on joystick versus KB+M in this thread in the past but I cannot bring myself to play a flight sim without using a joystick. I find that aircraft are harder to control with the joystick (no instructor limiting your maneuvers, for example) and aiming is MILES harder (no sniping like with KB+M) but on the flip side you can pull off more extreme flying in dogfights by pushing your plane right to the limits and beyond. This really does make you learn a plane and its flight model though, some are just trickier as they have different characteristics such as stall speed, roll speed, dive speed etc. It's much more rewarding getting kills with the joystick too.

I have a 360 controller for the PC but I can't bring myself to use it. I'm so used to using KB & M that I'm reasonably content using that instead. I won't go out my way to buy a joystick but if my enthusiasm for this game remains ahead of level 10, I may just have to invest.

Soldato
I have a 360 controller for the PC but I can't bring myself to use it. I'm so used to using KB & M that I'm reasonably content using that instead. I won't go out my way to buy a joystick but if my enthusiasm for this game remains ahead of level 10, I may just have to invest.

Also I would say that Joystick is only useful for Realistic or Sim. If you play Arcade, don't bother since the flight model won't accommodate.

Soldato
So I downloaded this over the weekend and spend Sat and Sunday playing. Managed to hit level 5 and currently have a Hurricane MK1 and Spitfire as my primary and secondary along with 3 bi-planes, 2 of which are reserves.

I'm really enjoying this game but I'm having issues with squads. When my bro and I squad up, the game modes appear to change to Domination and Air Superiority (both of which I despise).

Is this usual or were we unlucky with the choice of Arcade battle?

Also, how many of you are using KB & Mouse?

Keyboard and mouse warrior. You're just unlucky with the game modes I'm afraid, they're totally 'random' - it would seem anyway.

There's no ability to select what type of game mode(s) you want, or don't want, or to exclude a particular type - something which the community has wanted for quite some time... but probably won't get.

Also, read up and learn about how Battle Ratings (BR) works. Your Spitfire and Hurri are BR 2.3 and will be dragging you 'up' into higher level matches as a result - aim to keep a very close BR rated lineup of planes together if you can, so I'd recommend researching the Sea Hurricane at BR 2.0 to partner with your Gladiators, and then work towards getting a full lineup of 2.3 planes to take out together.

Following that, I'd recommend the Beaufighter MkVIc, it's a glorious thing. 4x 20mm cannons down the centreline, and you end up fighting enemies who are often unaware of this, and die in a hail of cannonfire long before their bullets do much damage to you :D

Might have to play a few low-tier air battles, kinda missing some of the dogfights now.

Soldato
Keyboard and mouse warrior. You're just unlucky with the game modes I'm afraid, they're totally 'random' - it would seem anyway.

There's no ability to select what type of game mode(s) you want, or don't want, or to exclude a particular type - something which the community has wanted for quite some time... but probably won't get.

Also, read up and learn about how Battle Ratings (BR) works. Your Spitfire and Hurri are BR 2.3 and will be dragging you 'up' into higher level matches as a result - aim to keep a very close BR rated lineup of planes together if you can, so I'd recommend researching the Sea Hurricane at BR 2.0 to partner with your Gladiators, and then work towards getting a full lineup of 2.3 planes to take out together.

Following that, I'd recommend the Beaufighter MkVIc, it's a glorious thing. 4x 20mm cannons down the centreline, and you end up fighting enemies who are often unaware of this, and die in a hail of cannonfire long before their bullets do much damage to you :D

Might have to play a few low-tier air battles, kinda missing some of the dogfights now.

Now there is some sound advise!

That was my aim if I'm honest, to line up multiple 2.3BR planes and then move up slowly up once research has completed. I'll have a look at that one, thanks for that. Currently I have:

- Spitfire MK I
- Hurricane MK I
- Gladiator MK II
- Fury MK II
- Fury MK I

I also have a bomber (Seahawk?) Can't remember the name as I don't use it and swapped it out for the Hurricane.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the quality of the tank combat is one of the strongest points of this game. At the moment I play mostly combined realistic so that I get a bit of both, wreck someone in a tank and then jump in a plane for a good dogfight or two :)

I'm not completely against it but enjoying dog fights at the moment. I'm sure I will dabble with the tanks at some point but this is the flying game I've been looking for! Not sure why its taken me so long to find/play it.

Soldato
spit 2b used to be the best one in the game, still got fond memories of the night brain and I did some 2v2 tournaments and wiped the floor with everyone we played against.

Soldato
Hi does anyone here play this in VR ie Oculus Rift CV1 ? I am having some trouble recording videos not in the Oculus SBS output. What i have recorded so far is in SBS default Oculus view.

Riftracer (VR youtuber) mentions you need to record your Oculus replay in NON-Oculus mode. So i fire up the monitor version of War Thunder (unticked the work in progress box) switched off the Oculus and yeah i can view the replay in full screen on the monitor no problem.

One tiny problem is that virtual cockpit doesnt seem to work. Not once did i look around for targets or following my target. Which is odd because i did this when i recorded the gameplay.

I think i'm missing something super obvious? Anyone help?

Back
Top Bottom