Ole's sacked, who next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh I see Adams got his Ole blinkers back on.

Luke Shaw looked every bit the player he does now whilst under Van Gaal til his injury. It was purely game time that reproduced his form which is what Van Gaal was offering him and he's had once again.

Young players with talent will generally get better each season... More game time and also their own physical development means they have higher contributions.

Try not to overstate what is just common development, Ole ain't coached anything into any of these players they weren't doing previously.

I do think that Ole has taken United as far as he can and unless he can magically turn it around by the end of this season we will be seeing a new manager next year but to say he has done absolutely nothing in his tenure is absolutely rubbish.

Last edited:
I know folks like to over hype the premier League, but come on. Ole would be winning trophies in the French, German and Italian leagues and Moyes' West Ham would be challenging for titles everywhere bar Spain is pure copium.

It is not over hyping. Of the two major European trophy's last season 75% were English in the final. If it wasn't for Arsenal it would have been 100%. It was 100% in 18/19. Of the last 3 champions league winners two have been English. We are entering a period of English dominance of Europe.

No other league has 5-6 teams that are capable of winning the big trophies.

I'd rather keep someone who is alright rather than rushing to appoint the wrong person again.

I think he was the only available manager who could keep the pace with Klopp and Pep (with our club resources at his disposal).

Sounds like they are keen on Brendan or Poch. Poch likely won't be available until the summer though.

This season is likely to be yet another write off, more years in the wilderness for us.

I'd rather keep someone who is alright rather than rushing to appoint the wrong person again.

That implies that the club has some vague long term plan or target. They don't. Ole was appointed caretaker manager until the end of the season and we gave him a long term contract well before the end of the season despite there being no need. That also suggests that we clearly hadn't got any replacement in mind and were no closer to a replacement when we gave Ole his contract than when he was appointed months earlier.

Our managerial issues large stem from having no cohesive plan for our long term manager. Spurs have just got a manager who is better than any manager we have had since Fergie left and it took them all of a few days. Whether he would be the right manager for us or not, thats just mind boggling to me. You just know that Ole will either last until the end of another crap season and probably beyond or we will sack him and have no plan for his successor. Rinse and repeat.

Oh and Ole isn't alright. He has a crap coaching staff and hes a crap manager. Nothing about that is alright. Nothing about our football suggests that we are alright considering the squad and the resources we have.

He'd have been here for 2/3 years at most then walked out like he has done everywhere else. Do you seriously think he'll still be at Spurs in 3 years time?

People are so desperate for the flavour of the week to walk in and fix things but Conte would have required another rebuild (cutting into the 2/3 years he'd be here)

Despite claims that Ole is crap he's got us to 3rd/2nd place finishes in the last 2 seasons, something that nobody since Fergie has managed. He's also got the longest undefeated away run in premier league history. If you seriously think these are things that a crap manager could do then...wow. He might not be the guy to take us back to the top but downplaying his achievements is ridiculous.

Rushing to get a manager with huge question marks in almost every area would be a big mistake.

Not sure how that is a kick in the nads really. He was always a pretty bad fit for us.

Utd are a complete mess. They’ve got guys who haven’t got any football knowledge or background running the club and doing day to day deals etc

Ole was a fine temp replacement to get the feel good factor back after the shambles of Jose. It worked. Say thanks and good bye that summer. They didn’t they fell into this dream world and gave him the job full time, they didn’t even wait to the summer to see his short comings.

It’s just one mistake after another. Yeh you could say hindsight but it’s not in this case as this has been going on for ages. Even when he was given the job full time there was question marks.

It's of course a matter of opinion, but I genuinely believe Ole's achievements - not that you can really call them that - are more down to luck rather than any sort of skilled management/coaching.

You can't seriously be claiming he's been consistently lucky for 2 seasons.

On and off, I think he has. He's got one of the most expensively assembled squads in history and has achieved nothing beyond records that nobody truly cares about.

Results have only come when we've been allowed to counter attack easily - something opposing teams have now realised.

Football has been in a bit of a strange place too, as with everywhere else, through the pandemic - which has covered approximately 50% of his tenure. We're back to normal now and things are looking bad.

Plenty of other managers were around during the pandemic, none of them managed that record. It's a bit of an exaggeration to say things are looking bad too, we're still 5th only 3pts behind elite Pep (who also crashed out of the cup to the same team we did.)

I don't know why everything has to be so black and white, there is a whole range between great and ****. For some people it feels like as soon you don't hit the former they suddenly think you have to be the latter.

I think he was the only available manager who could keep the pace with Klopp and Pep (with our club resources at his disposal).

Sounds like they are keen on Brendan or Poch. Poch likely won't be available until the summer though.

This season is likely to be yet another write off, more years in the wilderness for us.

The only manager that I would take is the guy at Ajax. He has had his team picked apart whilst still maintaining a decent well playing squad. I would also like Graham Potter but that will never happen.

Conte will be a laugh at Spurs. Cannot wait to see it all explode.

Plenty of other managers were around during the pandemic, none of them managed that record. It's a bit of an exaggeration to say things are looking bad too, we're still 5th on 3pts behind elite Pep (who also crashed out of the cup to the same team we did.)

I don't know why everything has to be so black and white, there is a whole range between great and ****. For some people it feels like as soon you don't hit the former they suddenly think you have to be the latter.

I know they don't look that bad, but it feels bad. The performances, the coaching staff, the noises coming out of the club. I am not being reactionary, I wasn't over the moon when Ole got the job full time, and I made a thread moaning about him in December 2019. Since then he's done OK at times - but that's about it. Now we're just treading water, lots of ups and downs. I have put previous dodgy form aside and given him the benefit of the doubt, but enough is enough.

There is no real progress (which you've said yourself), it's just a bit of a mess really, and the rot goes right up to the top of the club too.

I didn't think SAF would leave and we'd become like Liverpool of the past 30 years - but that's exactly where we are heading right now.

A lot of it is media perception, we get written about more than any other club on the planet and it has to be extreme to get clicks. One minute Ronaldo is a great signing who will lead us to the title, the next week he is the source of all our problems. This is the attitude they want fans to have because it gets them money.

Plenty of other managers were around during the pandemic, none of them managed that record. It's a bit of an exaggeration to say things are looking bad too, we're still 5th on 3pts behind elite Pep (who also crashed out of the cup to the same team we did.)

Your outlook feels almost entirely results based. If we were where we are in the league currently playing football even approaching the level of City, Liverpool or Chelsea then I think you would have a point. Spurs are 2 points behind us and have just sacked their manager. Come the end of the season, City won't be 3 points ahead of us, they will be 20. The reason some of us think that getting 2nd last season wasn't some sort of miracle that validates Ole is because it was mainly on the back of other teams imploding. We were walking the line for a lot of last season between scraping wins and those games being draws or losses. The writing has been on the wall for Ole for years due to the way he has us play.

We have been thoroughly outplayed by so many teams over the past season and a bit and still beat them due to our individual quality. Some of us are sick of it. Some of us want to see progress and good football instead of hearing that we should be ecstatic because we scraped past Burnley while being outplayed because after all, its the results that matter and playing like **** never causes any issues in the long term.

I could probably count on one hand the number of times I have watched City lose a game against a "smaller" side and thought "wow, City were awful and deserved to lose that". They might get beaten but 9/10 they have been unlucky or their finishing was a bit off. They still dominate sides and almost always play pretty well. I watch us beat teams and think "wow, if the other team could finish we would have lost that" or "if X hadn't pulled that out of the bag we would have lost that".

I don't watch football to check league positions. I watch it to be entertained and at the moment I would say that there are more than a dozen teams in the league that play more entertaining football than us. Ole and his team is the prime reason for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom