• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PC vs Console, has high GPU prices played a part?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Both Forza 5 and battlefield 2042 released this week, both with really ****** optimisation on pc, just sayin, I will bet 5 cents that Halo later this month will be the same.

Permabanned
Both Forza 5 and battlefield 2042 released this week, both with really ****** optimisation on pc, just sayin, I will bet 5 cents that Halo later this month will be the same.
it barely pushes 75-80 fps cpu bound on 3700x, needs a minimum of 5800x for a seamless 120 fps experience like series x delivers. dunno why it needs %50-80 faster cpu to hit similar frame rate targets, but it is what it is. same for bf 2042 (3700x is pushing 45-50 fps and you need a 5950x to get 75-80 frames and 120 fps is out of question, whereas a ps5 with 3.5 ghz zen 2 cores with 8 mb cache magically locks to a solid 60 fps

now cue the obligatory "consoles use secret nerfed graphics" comment. i don't care. they are not present on pc, since even setting the game to lowest settings do not solve the cpu bottlenecks halo infinite and bf 2042 will experience. my friend just reported that he got drops to 50 fps while his gpu was idling at %60 65 usage in bf 2042 with a 3800x CPU. situation is brutal over there. halo infinite was similar for him (at least it ran above 60 fps)

fh5 is not so different, sx easily pushes a native 4k ultra focused 60 fps where a 3070 is needed to match the experience (remember the days sx was seen as equivalent to the 2080/2080 super? pepperidge farm remembers)

Soldato

BF2042 is too soon to tell, but first day for sure will be a bloodbath due to servers alone if nothing else. Forza 5 on the other hand I have played it extensively and it runs like a dream, the only issues I have with it is with some loading but that's no better on console. I know it has an issue with LODs below extreme but that's minor and would be the last setting I'd lower tbh.

it barely pushes 75-80 fps cpu bound on 3700x, needs a minimum of 5800x for a seamless 120 fps experience like series x delivers. dunno why it needs %50-80 faster cpu to hit similar frame rate targets, but it is what it is. same for bf 2042 (3700x is pushing 45-50 fps and you need a 5950x to get 75-80 frames and 120 fps is out of question, whereas a ps5 with 3.5 ghz zen 2 cores with 8 mb cache magically locks to a solid 60 fps

now cue the obligatory "consoles use secret nerfed graphics" comment. i don't care. they are not present on pc, since even setting the game to lowest settings do not solve the cpu bottlenecks halo infinite and bf 2042 will experience. my friend just reported that he got drops to 50 fps while his gpu was idling at %60 65 usage in bf 2042 with a 3800x CPU. situation is brutal over there. halo infinite was similar for him (at least it ran above 60 fps)

fh5 is not so different, sx easily pushes a native 4k ultra focused 60 fps where a 3070 is needed to match the experience (remember the days sx was seen as equivalent to the 2080/2080 super? pepperidge farm remembers)

1. BF2042 is a 60 fps game on consoles, and doesn't even hold it, so keep that in mind before you complain about >60fps on PC.
2. Your impression of what FH5 takes couldn't be further from the truth. It's all explained here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-horizon-5-pc-best-settings-series-x-compared

So what kind of GPU do you need to match or exceed Series X outputs at performance and quality modes? This is tricky for the 60fps mode as PC lacks the DRS option, but in isolating an area where Series X hits its minimum DRS window, it looks to me like RTX 2070 Super/RTX 2080 is the closest Nvidia equivalent

Achieving parity with the console sees the GPU burden lessen dramatically - an RTX 2060 Super looks just about capable of getting the job done, being equal to or better Series X here is not too difficult...

And since you can actually choose your settings on PC you'll have a dramatically better experience anyway because now you're not forced to totally gimp the LOD system if you want 60 fps.

Really the biggest problem with these comparisons is that you don't have an OSD always-on for console gaming else you'd see just as many dips as you do on PC. People have a better impression of these consoles' capabilities simply because the stats are hidden (unless someone does the tedious work of testing them like DF, VGTech etc.)

Soldato
BF2042 is too soon to tell, but first day for sure will be a bloodbath due to servers alone if nothing else. Forza 5 on the other hand I have played it extensively and it runs like a dream, the only issues I have with it is with some loading but that's no better on console. I know it has an issue with LODs below extreme but that's minor and would be the last setting I'd lower tbh.

1. BF2042 is a 60 fps game on consoles, and doesn't even hold it, so keep that in mind before you complain about >60fps on PC.
2. Your impression of what FH5 takes couldn't be further from the truth. It's all explained here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-horizon-5-pc-best-settings-series-x-compared

And since you can actually choose your settings on PC you'll have a dramatically better experience anyway because now you're not forced to totally gimp the LOD system if you want 60 fps.

Really the biggest problem with these comparisons is that you don't have an OSD always-on for console gaming else you'd see just as many dips as you do on PC. People have a better impression of these consoles' capabilities simply because the stats are hidden (unless someone does the tedious work of testing them like DF, VGTech etc.)

Sooooo.... the conclusion is a PC is more powerful than a games console.

Got it.

What a revelation.

Permabanned
I've always found console exclusives sucks me in more than PC games.

Consoles exclusives, look great, Spiderman Miles Morales :rolleyes:, but they are bad for gaming consumers overall!

You see, these are games that are made only for a specific console with hopes of getting gamers to buy that specific console. So other gamers on different platforms are not able to play those games unless they pay up to own another games console and game.

Consoles are also responsible for limiting cross platform games quality. Because cross platform games are developed based on the limited hardware of the games console and can often lead to poor PC ports.

A lot of people can't accept that these consoles are really for 1080p 60 fps at best, for AAA gaming. If you look at what Epic said for Unreal Engine 5 that's the target resolution for the engine on these consoles, and even then with modest settings not balls to the walls raytracing.

Yah, More of these Nvidia exclusive features are coming to games like Battlefield2042, GTA: The Trilogy and Bright Memory: Infinite such as DLSS and Nvidia's Reflex technology.

Battlefield 2042
and Bright Memory: Infinite will be launching with Ray-Tracing as well, with the latter featuring up to five different Ray Tracing effects, which might bring Consoles to their knees with 30fps at 4K or 1080p 60fps.

At least with a PC you can upgrade it when it gets slow to match the said performance.

Last edited:
Permabanned

the coveted PC fanboy Alex Battaglia will always make such claims. he's such a biased reviewer that I don't care about his findings. he has a PC biased agenda. the performance mode of the series x is locked to 60 fps consistency reasons. it might very well run above that, it just does not need to, because unlike the majority of PC users, console users demand and require (since they cannot "tweak" the game themselves nor they don't have to) a consistent and smooth performance across all the regions and the modes present in the game. does Alex cover that 2080 manages to prove the same experience in more heated areas? or in battle royale mode? no. he just tests a couple locations and make a judgment call based on that. do you think i care about that? most locked games on consoles can ran a bit better than what the're originally running. but that's a thing PC users love (to play with inconsistent variable frametimes and framerates)

consoles ran all the games like butter %99 of the time and everyone are happy with what they're getting. you're just trying to downplay them. console games do not need performance OSD. console game devs already do that job for you. they tweak, they find a sweet consistent performance spot and pack the game away.

i don't see any major drops with ps5 here. and funnily this was the beta version. launch version probably will probably run even better

https://youtu.be/3zlKoY7fnxE?t=671

just minor dips to 57-58 rarely. that's a far cry from getting 40-45 fps drops with a 3700x/3600 on PC platform (or barely getting 60-70 fps with 5600x). i'm not asking PC hardware to run this game at 120 fps. i'm aware that overall performance target is 60 fps. All I want is to get that 60 fps with a 3700x, not with a 5800x. that proves that PC users are required to brute force with higher power CPUs/hardware to reach similar performance targets, which is nonsensical from some point of views especially considering a 5800x by itself nearly costs as a digital PS5

Again... 400 dollar

Last edited:
Permabanned
At least with a PC you can upgrade it when it gets slow to match the said performance.

yeah nice takeaway, man. the whole point of the topic is the unavailability of the GPUs you people talk about. you, the other person, or me, may have snagged something with MSRP, some people may take advantage of mining to refuel their future purchases, or some may simply be a rich person. the topic is not about such persons. topic is about your regular person who bought a 1060 1070 in 2016-2017. now they cannot buy a 3060ti 3070 casually. they would like to, but they can't. stocks do not exist. you have to go long ways to acquire one at reasonable prices, even then, it will cost a lot. when they cannot even get a 3070 on their hand, they cannot plan on future 4070 5070 upgrades, because as of how things are going, they will also be mostly unavailable from the looks of the statements made the Leather Jacket Man

if such GPUs are not abundance in market, most gamers will eventually transition to console gaming. as i said, i have legit 7 cases where my long standing PC friends bought a series s, x or ps5. no one likes to game with a rx 580 1060 anymore where you're forced to low medium settings at 1080p and getting a inconsistent 35-45 fps. they would like to upgrade but they can't. these people will eventually give up on waiting and get a console and just keep gaming. as a matter of fact, they might as well stay there if their budget is limited, because xsx/ps5 practically performs like a highend 5800x+3060ti rig for a lot of games and drives a 4K screen beautifully.

the amount of price required to match 400/500 dollar consoles are just funny

Soldato

but your argument is somewhat self defeating - if people weren't prepared to pay the prices for GPU's then they would be sitting on shelves at those high prices and then retailers would be forced to drop their prices and scalpers wouldn't be scalping
all the data shows that PC gamers are spending more than ever on accessories and games, but if there was an actual real world 7-1 ratio of people buying consoles instead of GPU's then there would be data to match that, but there simply isn't, consoles are barely outselling the previous generation in both units sold and spend on games, but PC gamers have increased spending on accessories by 80% and games by 30%, it doesn't add up

I completely understand why a few people may make that choice, but trying to force that view point on to the actual data isn't stacking up

you can't even still be blaming miners for buying all the cards because it doesn't still make sense to be buying huge stacks of GPU's at current margins

Last edited:
Soldato
the coveted PC fanboy Alex Battaglia will always make such claims. he's such a biased reviewer that I don't care about his findings. he has a PC biased agenda. the performance mode of the series x is locked to 60 fps consistency reasons. it might very well run above that, it just does not need to, because unlike the majority of PC users, console users demand and require (since they cannot "tweak" the game themselves nor they don't have to) a consistent and smooth performance across all the regions and the modes present in the game. does Alex cover that 2080 manages to prove the same experience in more heated areas? or in battle royale mode? no. he just tests a couple locations and make a judgment call based on that. do you think i care about that? most locked games on consoles can ran a bit better than what the're originally running. but that's a thing PC users love (to play with inconsistent variable frametimes and framerates)

consoles ran all the games like butter %99 of the time and everyone are happy with what they're getting. you're just trying to downplay them. console games do not need performance OSD. console game devs already do that job for you. they tweak, they find a sweet consistent performance spot and pack the game away.

i don't see any major drops with ps5 here. and funnily this was the beta version. launch version probably will probably run even better

https://youtu.be/3zlKoY7fnxE?t=671

just minor dips to 57-58 rarely. that's a far cry from getting 40-45 fps drops with a 3700x/3600 on PC platform (or barely getting 60-70 fps with 5600x). i'm not asking PC hardware to run this game at 120 fps. i'm aware that overall performance target is 60 fps. All I want is to get that 60 fps with a 3700x, not with a 5800x. that proves that PC users are required to brute force with higher power CPUs/hardware to reach similar performance targets, which is nonsensical from some point of views especially considering a 5800x by itself nearly costs as a digital PS5

Again... 400 dollar

So he goes on about how good upscaling is on PS5 then doesn't test FSR or DLSS. Talks about how the graphical difference between PS5 and PC are not really noticeable then doesn't give us any info on how it runs on PC on settings below maximum and on par with the ps5 in a performance review. Nice useless video from IGN you picked and you talk about Alex being biased when he provides all the evidence.

You're completely off the mark mate. Here is a Ryzen 3700 running BF 2042 at around 100 fps with a few drops to 80 fps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKiyKlAZkiE

These kind of threads are always filled with misinformation when all the evidence you need is easily available. PS5/Series X are 1080p 60 FPS machines on next gen AAA games and they perform on par with equivalent PC hardware from 3-4 years ago.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Yep, let's bring up a game that not even a 3090 can max at 4k

(Not too mention is running on backwards compatibility mode on ps5 and still waiting on a next gen upgrade)

Huh, A 3090 can max it out, easy at 4K@60fps, Ray Tracing Ultra. Something is definitely wrong with your PC.

Here's the game on my PC below and it's not even using a Ryzen 9 or i9 CPU :D

Game: Cyberpunk2077
Resolution: 4K, HDR
Framerate: 60fps - 75fps
Settings: Ray Tracing Ultra

1.jpg

2.jpg

9.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I still prefer PC for the ability to change graphics settings and play older games at ultra settings and high frame rates to get the best experience

Associate
LOL, go downtown and come back with those FPS numbers.... dont be treating people like idiots please when there is a ton of benchmarks/tests out there showing that a 3090 can not max the game with ray tracing @4k with playable frames (over 60fps), and DLSS performance looks like **** so i wouldnt even consider it an option on a 3090.

Permabanned
LOL, go downtown and come back with those FPS numbers.... dont be treating people like idiots please when there is a ton of benchmarks/tests out there showing that a 3090 can not max the game with ray tracing @4k with playable frames (over 60fps), and DLSS performance looks like **** so i wouldnt even consider it an option on a 3090.

PS5 does run the game at 1080p, maybe with medium to high settings as it looks so blurry. The Ray Tracing might not even be maxed either , it's not like you can check the PS5 options.

Associate
There is no ps5 version of the game and the game was removed from the psn store for being so crap... My point stands, you can't max this game @4k

Soldato
There is no ps5 version of the game and the game was removed from the psn store for being so crap... My point stands, you can't max this game @4k

You're wasting your time. Sarge is too far gone.

Even if a pc can max the game at 4k ultra etc.. That spec of pc costs at least 6 times more money. 6 times more for God's sake.

Some people are daft.

Soldato
PS5 does run the game at 1080p, maybe with medium to high settings as it looks so blurry. The Ray Tracing might not even be maxed either , it's not like you can check the PS5 options.

If you install the launch version of the game you can actually try out the console settings with a command.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Cyberpunk_2077

Use the command line "-qualityLevel=ConsolePro" to match Xbox One X settings.

For sure no raytracing, and on playstation crowd density is lower than low, it's a mess basically, the console can't cope with anything. PS5 shares settings with PS4 Pro. Rest of graphics options are all also pretty low & in some cases lower than lowest on PC. It's a bit better on Xbox because their BC is more aware of new gen. Typical console experience tho, but the owners of those machines think they're fine dining when instead it's spam. Then they complain that DLSS performance supposedly doesn't look "good enough" but they have basic lanczos on consoles for TAA. :cry:

maxresdefault.jpg

9cXrmMR.jpg.png

Permabanned
You're wasting your time. Sarge is too far gone.

Even if a pc can max the game at 4k ultra etc.. That spec of pc costs at least 6 times more money. 6 times more for God's sake.

Some people are daft.

:cry: Someone does not even know what 4K resolution is. 4K is 3840x 2160 :D I also set the game to its preset max settings (4K Ray Tracing Ultra). Even if running at the max resolution of the PS5 for this game (1080p) , a PC would get well over 120fps at the games max preset settings (Ray Tracing Ultra). That's how the devs made the game, probably not the best way to make Cyberpunk2077.

A PS5 is inferior to a PC in terms of raw power, only a fool would argue otherwise.

You complain about the price of a PC, did you expect a High End Gaming PC to be cheaper than a PS5:cry: A PC can do a tonne more things than a gaming console.Gaming is just one of those things it can do. So having a higher price is totally reasonable. PS5 games are not cheap, some cost £100.

The problem with pricing is that it became inflated because of Scalpers, Chip shortages, miners,....so PC GPUs have become so expensive...

But without all the scalping, £1,300 could get you a PC with an RTX 3080 and £460 could get you a PS5 . I don't see how that's 6 times more expensive?
Even if you spend £2K on a PC in this climate PS5s are easily selling for £750 so how is that 6 times the price :cry:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom