Picked up a LG OLED55B6V

Soldato
Well I had some bad/good luck? over the last couple of days. Have a Sony 50" w829 that i've had for about 3 years and its been fine, only thing was I did want a 65" just to make reading text easier as I view my PC through it but it wasn't urgent enough to warrant the upgrade. What I did need was a new computer which after a couple of weeks of hesitation I finally ordered all the bits last night for delivery tomorrow and it wasn't cheap but needed it for work. Finished work today on my monitors and went to sit on my sofa and turned the TV on and the screen was completely garbled and it was hissing, had a mess around, unplugged and its just had it, no extended warranty so completely out of luck. Terrible timing. So had a quick look to see where OLED's were at and it seems Currys have just dropped the 2017 65" LG range by £1000, which was great but also stumbled upon a 10% discount code - its supposed to be for using their credit but currently works by paying with normal debit. Total cost £2719.00 (Spent £20 on delivery as didn't want to wait in from 7am to 7pm...so now have a 3 hour window). I'm happy that I have a new PC to build after using my terrible off the shelf one for 6 months and i'm happy that I will have a nice new 4k 65" OLED, I am NOT happy about the amount of money I just spent in the last 2 days though! :p plus need to pay £900 to a garage as some pillock hit my car whilst it was parked on the road for the first time ever since owning it.....mixed feelings but am sure I will enjoy it all!

Associate
OP
I read review and it said 1080 was poorly upscaled. Also it said the web os got laggy when viewing 4K.

I like the bluetooth option, although my B6 lipsynchs via my bluetooth speaker.

Why are there so.many buggy tvs out there?!?!

I read the reviews and they were middling, at best. However, once I got the TV and set it up, I was very impressed with it. Does it compete with the OLED downstairs? No, it's a fraction of the price. But for a TV in the bedroom, it's perfect. The OS does not lag and feels practically the same as the OLED. It's even got wireless .ac so has no problem streaming any high bit rate content. The sound is decent for some TV speakers as well. I feel it's a really under rated TV.

Associate
I read the reviews and they were middling, at best. However, once I got the TV and set it up, I was very impressed with it. Does it compete with the OLED downstairs? No, it's a fraction of the price. But for a TV in the bedroom, it's perfect. The OS does not lag and feels practically the same as the OLED. It's even got wireless .ac so has no problem streaming any high bit rate content. The sound is decent for some TV speakers as well. I feel it's a really under rated TV.

It's £579 at cpc, yes is cheap I guess. No os lag on 4k stream?

Associate
OP
I think I paid £650 for it, back in January. I've streamed Youtube 4K, Netflix 4k, Netflix Dolby Vision, Amazon HDR, 4K Loseless (~80mbps) and none of it has caused any problems.

Associate
I think I paid £650 for it, back in January. I've streamed Youtube 4K, Netflix 4k, Netflix Dolby Vision, Amazon HDR, 4K Loseless (~80mbps) and none of it has caused any problems.

Thanks!

I do like the bluetooth and usb 3.0. the new 43 inch range don't include this and I want to use my Riva bluetooth speaker with it.

How are the blacks vs oled when the room is dark?

Is there an option to stop 4k upscaling?

Associate
OP
Thanks!

I do like the bluetooth and usb 3.0. the new 43 inch range don't include this and I want to use my Riva bluetooth speaker with it.

How are the blacks vs oled when the room is dark?

Is there an option to stop 4k upscaling?

The blacks, simply put, are crap compared to an OLED, pretty much most TVs are though :D. I think the overall quality of the image is very decent it just hasn't got the impact and colour pop of an OLED. At the end of the day though, we are comparing a TV that costs 1/3 of an OLED. I don't know if there is an option to disable the upscaling. I can post a short video to Youtube tonight so you can see what it's like if that would help?

Associate
The blacks, simply put, are crap compared to an OLED, pretty much most TVs are though :D. I think the overall quality of the image is very decent it just hasn't got the impact and colour pop of an OLED. At the end of the day though, we are comparing a TV that costs 1/3 of an OLED. I don't know if there is an option to disable the upscaling. I can post a short video to Youtube tonight so you can see what it's like if that would help?

Thanks for the offer but I've found some videos on youtube of it.

Just wondered if the blacks/performance was better in a dark room.

Associate
Try backlight, when I had LCD's setting them pretty low resulted in very good blacks- not far from the pioneer kuro. And I didn't need to have backlight high in a dark room either.

Thanks. I find my pc lcd works well in dim room.
Seems the Panasonic EX750 is the best led option just now but no Dolby Vision or Plex. But it's same pricing as a discontinued OLED. The ex700 is £650 for 40 inch, might just go for that for the bedroom. Keep reading bad reviews of the LG xx770 series.

Caporegime
My B7 has developed a dead/black pixel on the screen, the 2 stuck pixels I could deal with as they weren't noticeable under normal viewing, this dead one is though, thankfully it's within the 30 days so Curry's are replacing without issue, bit worried this is a common occurence on OLEDs now, seen plenty of posts about it on avforums and someone above had theirs replaced already.

Soldato
I also didn't really see any noise about dead pixels on the 6 series, maybe the problem is a newer one on the 7 series?

Re: banding. Yes it's definitely there, more noticeable on certain scenes (dark grey is the that shows up the most) and more apparent on the 65 vs the 55.

Soldato
Popped into Richer Sounds today - After they paid me a home visit a couple days ago.

I've decided to go for the LG 55C6V. In addition to this I've also bagged the following -

AV Receiver - Yamaha RXA870
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver 300

Caporegime
The only minor negative thing for me with the B6 (and I assume all the 2016 OLEDS) is that the 'game mode' HDR doesn't have a huge wow factor, unlike the standard HDR mode with 4k UHD Blu-ray's.

They seem to have limited the peak nits in game mode, which I assume is to do with latency.

I would imagine the 2017 sets are better for this (but haven't confirmed it)

Back
Top Bottom