Pico 4 out soon?

Difficult to decide if Pico 4 is better than Quest 2. Yes it has better battery and resolution, but there are drawbacks. 90Hz refresh for Pico 4 compared to 120Hz on Quest 2. Same GPU, CPU and chipset - so nothing has changed there in 2 years.

What makes this better?

Difficult to decide if Pico 4 is better than Quest 2. Yes it has better battery and resolution, but there are drawbacks. 90Hz refresh for Pico 4 compared to 120Hz on Quest 2. Same GPU, CPU and chipset - so nothing has changed there in 2 years.

What makes this better?

pancake lenses, bigger sweet spot
lighter / more comfortable
wifi 6
better sound (apparently)
slightly bigger FOV
higher resolution per eye
bigger battery (upto 3 hours)

Last edited:

What makes this better?

Also has an extra 2 gigableems of ram. If you already have a Q2 it may not be worth upgrading, but if you have an older headset or if this is your first foray into VR, then the PN4 is the way to go. Meta also have more games in their store if standalone is going to be your thing.

Last edited:
I really can't justify it as I have a Q2. The PN4 is a better headset, but not that much better that it makes the Q2 obsolete. I'll be sitting this round out and going for the generation after this to get a worthwhile upgrade.

What makes this better?

The XR2 chip in Quest 2 runs at 1.4Ghz. In Pico it runs at 2.8ghz due to bigger battery and active cooling. So it's a performance upgrade of 100%.

Considering Pico's resolution is 30% higher that should leave a good amount of room for more stable frame rate, so a more consistent 90hz hopefully.

Not sure how much software on Quest 2 is really 120hz? I'd be really surprised if it has the oompth at 1.4ghz to run many games at that frame rate. Of course PCVR could. But I think most games on Quest 2 itself run at either 72fps (like beat saber) or 90hz for very simple games.

Last edited:
The XR2 chip in Quest 2 runs at 1.4Ghz. In Pico it runs at 2.8ghz due to bigger battery and active cooling. So it's a performance upgrade of 100%.

Considering Pico's resolution is 30% higher that should leave a good amount of room for more stable frame rate, so a more consistent 90hz hopefully.

Not sure how much software on Quest 2 is really 120hz? I'd be really surprised if it has the oompth at 1.4ghz to run many games at that frame rate. Of course PCVR could. But I think most games on Quest 2 itself run at either 72fps (like beat saber) or 90hz for very simple games.

wow, i did not know that, 2.8 GHz ?

the Quest 2 120Hz, hardly anything runs at that at the moment, only a couple of games

but there is hand tracking on the Q2 but ive never used it, waiting for a game that i want with this !

wow, i did not know that, 2.8 GHz ?

the Quest 2 120Hz, hardly anything runs at that at the moment, only a couple of games

but there is hand tracking on the Q2 but ive never used it, waiting for a game that i want with this !

Yeah they claim full speed XR2 which would be 2.84ghz so Im assuming they're being honest obviously since no third party has tested it yet. Not hard to believe though when you think it's got a fan inside unlike Quest 2. Carmack said Quest 2 was just under half speed, so around 1.4Ghz apparently.

Last edited:
Quest 2 has a fan.

What is the weight of the Pico 4, since most the claimed weights don't include the strap, which seems a bit cheeky considering the strap has the battery in.

Quest 2 does have a tiny fan inside, though I'm unsure how effective it is considering there is no direct grill for airflow (like on Pico 4), either say its clocked at half speed according to Carmack. I wonder if any reviewer has been asked about the Pico 4's fan and how active it is?, can they feel the air moving from the vent after heavy use?, that would be interesting to know.

The Pico 3 belts it out the little grill, the heated flow of air coming out is quite notable if you hold your finger over it. It's very effective, but you can certainly hear it in quieter moments. I watch a lot of films, so i probably note it more.

Weighing my own Quest 2 right now without the strap comes to 458g or 666g with the BoboVR M2 (no battery version) With Elite strap no battery version its 633g. Haven't got the original Quest 2 strap at hand, but I'd never use it because frankly its crap. According to google Pico 4 is 586g including strap. So its maybe only 50g to 80g lighter than Quest 2 depending on the strap used, I suppose weight distribution helps as well though.

Last edited:
Quest 2 does have a tiny fan inside, though I'm unsure how effective it is considering there is no direct grill for airflow (like on Pico 4), either say its clocked at half speed according to Carmack. I wonder if any reviewer has been asked about the Pico 4's fan and how active it is?, can they feel the air moving from the vent after heavy use?, that would be interesting to know.

The little fan cools the chip for the heat it produces. Thrillseeker watercooled his without any great speed improvements.

Back
Top Bottom