• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

please just stop it, stop buying

Soldato
Yeah its a situation where they dont want the market to go back to the old prices, so it seems they rather leave them unsold than sell them for less.

Associate
OP I can understand your frustration at the current GPU price. When I bought my 980 Ti I thought the price a little high but I needed it to drive my 1440p UW as my 280X wouldn't cut it. The other option I had was the Titan X and oh my lord I was not going to pay 1k for a single GPU. I was immensely happy with the card and bought another one to SLi as the price dropped sharply (I have no idea what caused such a drop).

I enjoyed my SLi setup until I got sick of tearing on my 60hz monitor so I sold the monitor for a higher refresh rate with Gsync. I also managed to sell my two 980Ti's and was in need of a card that can drive a 1440p UW at around 100 fps and only 2080Ti could barely cut the task however........the price......it was atrocious. I was super mad and ****** at Ngreedia for the massive price increase so now I had a choice of either a super overpriced 2080Ti and 2080 or a 1080Ti in SLi. I was not going to support Nvidia with their disgusting price hike so I was leaning towards the 1080 Ti. I originally planed to wait for a good deal on Black Friday to grab a 2080 or 1080Ti but I saw Gibbo's warning and other E-tailer's stock running out. The 1080Ti price was also starting to increase due to low stock. I calculated that rather than buying a 2080 Ti and wait for god knows how long I liked my previous Sli setup so for the price of 1 RTX card I can buy two Pascal card and SLi. Yeah Sli is NOT perfect and I know there are a lot of haters out there. In the end I bought second hand 1080Ti's to SLi as the cost vs 2080Ti was in MY opinion better than the 2080Ti. As you can see I had earlier I would NOT spend 1k on GPU but I just did spend a little over that to buy two GPU's. Would I have been happy with a 2080Ti if the price was reasonable? Absolutely but that was not the case. Was I expecting the 2080Ti to priced higher than the 1080Ti? Yes as every previous GPU launch showed increase in price. This time the increase was not small and I am not saying previous increase were small but this time the increase was just too much. This sentiment seems to be similar with tech reviewers and other enthusiast. I know that their are people who does not care about prices and just buy the latest tech.

The reason I am writing and telling all this is to let people know that the hardware market does not always follow a previously known trend (No kidding Genius...). I am showing what people CAN do to learn and make decisions rather than going on forums to attack people who buys the latest tech even if the price is outrageous. That does not mean that people who have bought the latest can go around preaching/defending their purchase just because they bought an expensive new piece of tech. The people attacking @Gregster are not helping themselves. I can understand @Gregster wanting to take few jibe at those folks as they are being unreasonable. @easyrider your advice for my GPU was helpful but I think you should not go around attacking anyone who has bought a 2080Ti or 2080 cards it is THEIR choice. Just be happy with your purchase.

Soldato
Is that true? Gibbo keeps telling us there are hardly any 1080's left therefore no deals....

The latest nvidia deals for Black Friday are crap as well. Surely if they wanted to sell them they would be knocking the prices down?
Think it's the 1080 Ti's that are mostly gone and maybe 1080's. My guess is they have a lot of parts for 1060 and 1070 Ti's. Bit odd however as the 1070 Ti's were OOS for a long time, at least the FE's, and well into the crypto bust cycle if I remember correctly. Maybe they expected a recovery so started knocking them out in huge numbers or something?

A couple of 2080 Ti's under a grand now btw

Permabanned
The scum of the gaming world... propped up by the idiots of the gaming world.

Still rocking my 1080 and will until these people stop this disgusting price creeps and performance drops. Its been such a bad year too i never need more performamce because all the new games like 76 suck.

Associate
I've stopped buying because I can't afford it anymore ha. So basically I have been priced out of a reasonable upgrade path. Thinking of picking up a used 580 or vega56 though if the price is right but then you don't know what you are getting.

Associate
I had £1300 saved up at the time of the RTX announcement, I was prepared to pay a maximum of £900 (at a push) for the 2080ti but I was so disgusted with the £1200+ prices I was seeing that I decided to spend my money on a long overdue platform upgrade Instead.. and let’s face it, I didn’t need to upgrade my 1080ti in the slightest!

Soldato
The latest nvidia deals for Black Friday are crap as well. Surely if they wanted to sell them they would be knocking the prices down?

You have to understand the mind set that Nvidia now operates in, they think they're another Apple, above such low brow practices as dropping prices for the consumer.

Soldato
@Jono8 @DarrenM343 lets not forget that there is a GTX1060 around with chopped 1080 chip in it.
Nvidia prefers to chop and sell their 1080s as 1060s than compete it with 2070 lowering the price.

Btw has anyone seen the head to head video between V64 Nitro and 2080 on BF5? The Nitro is just 1 fps slower.
That leads to say that most games are completely unoptimised and consumers pay for it not the game but on GPU higher prices than needed to get the performance out.

Soldato
@Jono8 @DarrenM343
Btw has anyone seen the head to head video between V64 Nitro and 2080 on BF5? The Nitro is just 1 fps slower.
That leads to say that most games are completely unoptimised and consumers pay for it not the game but on GPU higher prices than needed to get the performance out.
Once DLSS gets added the 2080 will be 25-40% further up the road...…………..I hope :).
QUite impressing for the V64 if that's the case. I assume that's DX12? Would be good to see what the 1080 Ti, V64 and 2070 and 80 all knock out at the different resolutions using DX12.

Soldato
Once DLSS gets added the 2080 will be 25-40% further up the road...…………..I hope :).
QUite impressing for the V64 if that's the case. I assume that's DX12? Would be good to see what the 1080 Ti, V64 and 2070 and 80 all knock out at the different resolutions using DX12.

Here it is. Some say that the Vega clip looks smoother also.

OcUK Staff
Here it is. Some say that the Vega clip looks smoother also.

Its a very impressive showing for VEGA but I would like to see them do the same, but also add in a 1080Ti. To compare the 3.

But then to re-run on all three but say using a 9700K clocked at 5.0GHz to rule out any potential hold ups caused by 2600X processor.

Still it does show that right now value for money going AMD 2600 or 2700X, VEGA saves you so much money over Intel/NVIDIA that you will have saved hundreds of pounds which could be put into buying a really nice freesync monitor or sitting like a king in a noblechair. :)

Gigabyte Radeon RX VEGA 64 WindForce OC 8GB HBM2 PCI-Express Graphics Card @ £398.99 inc VAT

GV-RXVEGA64GAMING OC-8GD, Core Clock: 1276MHz, Boost Clock: 1560MHz, Memory: 8192MB 945MHz HBM2, Stream Processors: 4096, DirectX 12 Support, Vulkan Support, GCN, 2 Year Warranty.

Only £398.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Asus Radeon RX VEGA 64 ROG Strix OC 8GB HBM2 PCI-Express Graphics Card @ £409.99 inc VAT

ROG-STRIX-RXVEGA64-O8G-GAMING, Core Clock: 1405MHz, Boost Clock: 1590MHz, Memory: 8192MB 945MHz HBM2, Stream Processors: 4096, DirectX 12 Support, 3 Year Warranty.

Only £409.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

The value advantage AMD has is huge, plus factor in FREESYNC and they have a big bang driver coming next month which will probably yield 5-20% performance boost in certain game titles, so AMD is all of a sudden looking very strong.

Associate
You have to understand the mind set that Nvidia now operates in, they think they're another Apple, above such low brow practices as dropping prices for the consumer.

Unfortuanately it was the mining fiasco that peaked Nvidia's greedy interest. they noticed we had the disposable income to buy multiple, over inflated priced cards, also were annoyed they saw the mouth watering returns, retailers were getting from gouging customers. Its us that dictate the market. ''Pre-orders and Franchise'' will be our downfall, actually they already are.

Soldato
That works on Apple customers, who are mostly fashion consumers. But PC gamers are generally more savvy and do their research (ofc there are fanboys).

We're already seeing now people are jumping to Vega instead of the 2070/2080 because the price difference is huge, but the performance isn't.

Last edited:
Associate
That works on Apple customers, but PC gamers are generally more savvy (ofc there are fanboys). If AMD release a new card and massively undercut them, Nvidia has priced themselves out of the market. Both products do the same thing, so why pay more.

''Savvy'', really. If ....AMD release a new card?....and they never realease a new card, always a rehash. AMD are not Nvidia's equal. Am not a fan of either Company. Would not touch a 20xx card, too prototype. Let others have the headaches.

Soldato
LO
Unfortuanately it was the mining fiasco that peaked Nvidia's greedy interest. they noticed we had the disposable income to buy multiple, over inflated priced cards, also were annoyed they saw the mouth watering returns, retailers were getting from gouging customers. Its us that dictate the market. ''Pre-orders and Franchise'' will be our downfall, actually they already are.

Pre-order culture is killing gaming, I totally agree, people are buying cards blind that boast tech that isn't fully realised, and by buying games blind they are encouraging developers to release half arsed rubbish like Failout76.

Soldato
''Savvy'', really. If ....AMD release a new card?....and they never realease a new card, always a rehash. AMD are not Nvidia's equal. Am not a fan of either Company. Would not touch a 20xx card, too prototype. Let others have the headaches.

Nvidia releases "re-hashes" as well (and also doesn't give you the ram you paid for sometimes lol, but thats another story).

Back
Top Bottom