Poll: Poll please- Do you drink alcohol?

Do you drink alcohol?

• Yes

Votes: 366 42.4%
  • No

Votes: 108 12.5%
  • Rarely

Votes: 280 32.4%
  • Too much

Votes: 110 12.7%

• Total voters
Caporegime
So it's twice the amount you shouldn't regularly exceed every day, it's a lot.

Regardless, four large glasses of wine it quite a lot of alcohol by most peoples standards, certainly for daily intake.

The thing is the numbers given for recommended limits are not based on clinical evidence but are basically picked out of thin are as a number that sounds reasonable knowing that most people will drink over the recommended limits.

These values also vary widely between countries. In austral the max number of units recommended per a day is something like twice what the UK stipulates.

I tend to follow a rule that is you feel hungover th next day you drank too much because your body hasn't managed to process the alcohol safely. If you have a slight headache then it was probably slightly too much but headaches are often a result of deyhydration.

I think the most important things are not to drink to excess/brings drinking, and always have rest days without any alcohol consumption. There is quite a lot more evidence to support that binge drinking has direct clinical effects.

Most research into people drinking only 1-2 units of wine or beer a day for 3-5 days week have no statistic annoy significant effect, in fact many studies have shown small quantities of red wine to be positive for health.

The real body damage comes from constant excessive drinking that is actually quite hard to achieve for normal people, e.g. If you regularly drink a bottle of spirits a day or several bottles of wine the. You will sooner or later suffer the consequences. 1-2 beers a day is a level where a normal liver should cope.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I tend to follow a rule that is you feel hungover the next day you drank too much because your body hasn't managed to process the alcohol safely. .

But a lot of heavy drinkers don'y get hangovers..That's the point.The level of alcohol in the blood is there and merely gets topped up the next day.

Even if they don't drink the next day until evening time.

Permabanned
But a lot of heavy drinkers don'y get hangovers..That's the point.The level of alcohol in the blood is there and merely gets topped up the next day.

Even if they don't drink the next day until evening time.

I've never had a hangover. Even when I was a lightweight stumbling around after 6 pints.

Soldato
I have seen far too many people die from drinking too much, so I only drink occasionally, as I do like the taste. A few bottles of strong ale a couple of nights a week is good enough for me.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Neither was Aldous Huxley...Just saying...Taking drugs does not necessarily mean you are a sheep.

But good on you if thats what you have done. I was to intrigued not to do all those things and experience stuff.

I blame the Beatles and SGT peppers:p

I suppose it was also strange that from 1970, when I was 12, I was gigging in pubs, Workingmens Clubs and British Legions between 2 to 3 times a week. When I got to 17 I would attend about 6 Bike Rally's a year and still didn't get into drugs (legal or illegal). What I saw happening around me didn't excite me, it just made me hate it more. Nobody around me had ever questioned my non compliance to what everybody else did until I was 40. After an argument about beer I agreed to go to a real ale pub to try some and was surprised that 'Not all beers taste like crap'.

Associate
I drink quite rarely nowadays. In my uni years I drank pretty much 4 or 5 nights a week every single week of the year.

Now all mates are married/have kids, only go out drinking maybe once every 2 months. But that 1 night out every 2 months gets very very messy indeed. Massive binge drinking ensues.

Soldato
I don't drink that often, might have a bottle of wine on say a Friday night with the Mrs but its only really when I'm going out that ikk have more than a few. According to the site on previous page I had 22 units this week.....19 of which were on Friday when I was out \ then a few back home

I probably repeat a similar cycle every 2 to 3 weeks, used to drink far more when I was a bit younger, though again it was more binging really ( just more often)

Caporegime
"Yes", but it used to be way too much in my 20's and 30s...and my early 40s to be fair.

Mainly larger, wine and some vodka based drinks with other like minded drinkers at my places of work previously and the tennis and golf clubs I frequent now. All good clean fun and none of us are dependent on it as far as I know.

Caporegime
OP
One miller then two glasses of Cab Sauv. I think it was 12.5 but I can't remember now. I used the calculator posted in this thread.

comes in at 8.6 units

gilly.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I voted what a stupid poll though since my vote was yes and rarely what does that even mean?

I drink at least once per week sometimes twice is that rarely loads hardly any?

I rarely get drunk less than once per year.

I rarely drink more than 3-4 pints mostly 1 or 2 pints per week.

Back
Top Bottom