Poll: Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Mk II

Who will you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most are though.

If you get subsidised by the Government, do you know if a Labour victory will change anything?

I'm guess the portion of the fees I have to find will go up by 20% at the moment.

That is true and I won a bursary to attend the school I did and there were a few other pupils who were poor but gifted on bursaries and scholarships. But they were the expection. In my year there were only two bursaries available for the 120 pupils entering that year. So 118 would be paying full fees and only two or three were foreigners.

Only 24 per year and everyone gets means tested so lucky in that respect. There is a wide range of students because of it.

Don't get me wrong I do agree most private schools have that setup of a few bursaries then the rest on full fees.

it doesn't matter though, education is the single most important aspect. Without education the country cant thrive. And private schools do extremely well and provide far better future for their students and for the country. Rather than bringing them down to normal schools, we should be trying to boost normal schools upto their level. In other words it's a terrible policy.

Under a conservative government we aren't ever going to improve the standard of normal schools to private level, instead we're giving the best educations to those who's parents can afford it and many of them would lead a privileged life anyway regardless of education. Social status alone is the biggest factor in them getting the career they want or their parents have planned out for them.

I have to wait for people to realise in hindsight. Great. Waiting to loose my rights ao I can fight for them again later because people were too stupid to realise human rights are a good thing.

I'm no extreme tree hugging peace loving liberal.... But I will never ever understand why people vote for a party that wants their privacy, human rights and workers rights taken away from them.

I understand people want brexit and the populace is angry. It just seems like its brexit at all costs so must vote for May and they don't care if we have nothing at the end of it.....

This was a discussion that I have with my dad the other day. He's voted brexit and is voting tories even though he know the things may wants to bring in will screw him over big time... He recently went from an umbrella company (look it up) to self employed as the government stopped people claiming expenses (so went to minimum wage). They govt have plans for limited companies and other things that screw him over in that area too.

He even said I love labours manifesto... But 'i want brexit and don't care if everything else will be worse. Voting tories.

I'm concerned about people like this. They would probably allow 10 year olds working in factories for 12 hours a day and allow the poor to die.... As long as they get their brexit

They are the temporarily embarrassed millionaires - they will quite happily vote for tax cuts that that will never benefit from because they believe one day they will be successful enough that it then will affect them.

The thing is that this election is no longer about brexit for me. I've come to terms that we are leaving. What I dont want to happen is that we leave with worse rights because people wanted a brexit at all costs scenario.

May knows she can attract a lot of voters by just saying 'will of the people'.

That's all well and good and I'm pleased to hear your daughter is doing very well, but realistically how many people's children have a talent that very few are capable of in the country so get subsidised to attend a private school?
Isn't that why the Conservatives are bringing back Grammar School? I don't think anyone doubts they are better than comprehensives for the brightest pupils, the challenge is how to make sure that those who don't get into a Gram don't suffer - I can't believe it's not possible to do this.

They are the temporarily embarrassed millionaires - they will quite happily vote for tax cuts that that will never benefit from because they believe one day they will be successful enough that it then will affect them.
Was thinking something similar. They want to send their kids to private schools so the terrible condition of state education doesn't affect them, imagine having private health insurance so don't care about the NHS failing, want to live in a gated community with a private police force so don't care if the local police station has closed and the next closest one is 40 miles away...
If May wins tomorrow I hope she absolutely rapes these sort of people with NI and tax rises.

Under a conservative government we aren't ever going to improve the standard of normal schools to private level, instead we're giving the best educations to those who's parents can afford it and many of them would lead a privileged life anyway regardless of education. Social status alone is the biggest factor in them getting the career they want or their parents have planned out for them.

But under a Labour government about half the private schools in Oxford and Abingdon will close, 1000's of additional pupils will require places in state schools which don't exist, there will be riots and Corbyn will blame the evil Tories.

You would think that the country was some sort of utopia under the last labour government listening to people whinge about the tories. Labours lovey dovey idea that everyone wants to work for a good life wasn't true when they were in power last and it isn't true now. There is a reason throwing money at issues doesn't fix things and its because people are *****. We have created a whole section of society that is entitled, poorly educated and only out for number one. They complain about x,y and z yet do nothing about it themselves. The extent of their action is posting **** on social media that is completely inaccurate, poorly informed but appears to be insightful to the other idiots.

You can't tell people that the reason they are not financially secure is because they don't work hard or that the reason they can't afford what they want is because they **** money up the wall on pointless stuff, you have to blame "the man" and the government. The world doesn't owe you a good living. Not working for most of your life and doing a menial job doesn't entitle you to the same lifestyle as someone who has worked hard from a young age and sacrificed to be successful.

Look at most of the people complaining and they are the people who have done nothing to help themselves.

You would think that the country was some sort of utopia under the last labour government listening to people whinge about the tories. Labours lovey dovey idea that everyone wants to work for a good life wasn't true when they were in power last and it isn't true now. There is a reason throwing money at issues doesn't fix things and its because people are *****. We have created a whole section of society that is entitled, poorly educated and only out for number one. They complain about x,y and z yet do nothing about it themselves. The extent of their action is posting **** on social media that is completely inaccurate, poorly informed but appears to be insightful to the other idiots.

You can't tell people that the reason they are not financially secure is because they don't work hard or that the reason they can't afford what they want is because they **** money up the wall on pointless stuff, you have to blame "the man" and the government. The world doesn't owe you a good living. Not working for most of your life and doing a menial job doesn't entitle you to the same lifestyle as someone who has worked hard from a young age and sacrificed to be successful.

Look at most of the people complaining and they are the people who have done nothing to help themselves.

Tory voters, mostly.

Yeah I had that argument with a mate yesterday who is 56 and earning about £50k per annum. I told him he is never going to be in the top 5% never mind 1% so why did taxing people more on over £80k bother him so much? He said that one day he might earn that. I did point out that by then the tax band will have moved to voer £100k but didnt seem to bother him.

I weirdly respect Corbyn now compared to when he first became Labour leader. A lesser person would have buckled under the pressure, and given way to another leadership contest. Also the vice versa of this is true. My respect of May and the conservative party in general has plummeted.

Does anyone else feel their opinion on Corbyn, May et al has changed massively over the campaign?

Firstly, the last Labour government under Blair/Brown will be nothing like a Labour government under Corbyn

Secondly I'm voting labour and run a small business, So that flies in the face of your anecdotal story.

Also finished under a Corbyn government. I'm sure people won't mind when their local schools have class sizes of 50+, at least all children will suffer equally. Or perhaps a lot of people will realise that the La La Land which Corbyn is promising doesn't exist.

I admire your conviction that society is going to end because Labour proposed making private schools pay VAT, tbh.

I weirdly respect Corbyn now compared to when he first became Labour leader. A lesser person would have buckled under the pressure, and given way to another leadership contest. Also the vice versa of this is true. My respect of May and the conservative party in general has plummeted.

Does anyone else feel their opinion on Corbyn, May et al has changed massively over the campaign?
I was never a fan of May because she was an appalling foreign secretary. My opinion of her has plummeted since she called an election she wasn't going to call, and has proven herself anything but 'Strong and Stable' since it began.

Pretty much the same as you although I didnt like May and her policies before she called an election but I really, really didnt like Corbyn, The more I have heard him talk, the more I respect him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom