Poll: Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Mk II

Who will you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Have not bothered to check all this information but could well be fake news(the land tax and the associates figures).

"The right-wing press are LYING to you about Labour’s ‘Land Value Tax’. Here’s the truth."
http://evolvepolitics.com/right-wing-press-lying-labours-land-value-tax-heres-truth/

Well the truth is better than what I found in the Telegraph but still bad from my point of view. My council tax bill/Land Value Tax will still have a 60% increase going from £1,700 to £2,700 roughly. That's going to annoy a lot of people down south.

Edit:

I suspect it would be a tax drop or even neutral. Unless you have 5 acres of landscaped gardens or something I cant see your plot been worth more than £50k £60k so your land tax instead of your council tax would be £1500 to £1800.

I am not sure that is right based on the article Chronicalcard posted. If it was then the majority of people would be paying less which is good but then what replaces the lost tax generated?

Soldato
Past Cons voter back in 2015 and I have grown to really dislike what they are bringing to the table. I want to vote LD this time but I feel it's a waste to do so in my current constituency so despite not being entirely happy about what they are proposing, Labour seem to be the only realistic option here against what was a Tory majority in 2015 - the recent locals elections were also Labour (but only by a small majority to Cons) so I suppose that's a good indicator. Is there any point in sticking to what I actually want to vote and go LD or should I stay with the tactical option?

This is exactly me^ Voted conservative in 2015 but not now after what they have become in the last 12 months. I too would vote Lib Dem if we were voting for a party but also like you I am siding with Labour because our current MP at Gedling is Labour and to be fair he's ok. In the time he has been elected I have emailed him 3 times over a few things and he has always responded (not always how I hoped)but the fact that he or his office even bothered is good. Corbyn, I think he's a decent caring man but I'm not convinced he's a good leader but I would have him as PM every day of the week over May, she's insane.

As a benchmark a quick check to see how the likes of Scorza and co. are lining up confirms I'm on the right side of history ;)

Soldato
Well the truth is better than what I found in the Telegraph but still bad from my point of view. My council tax bill/Land Value Tax will still have a 60% increase going from £1,700 to £2,700 roughly. That's going to annoy a lot of people down south.

Edit:

I am not sure that is right based on the article Chronicalcard posted. If it was then the majority of people would be paying less which is good but then what replaces the lost tax generated?

Labour have not published anything other than the manifesto pledge to "look into a land value tax"

the numbers you are quoting are either the torys (its going to cost you £563496!) or the "labour land campaign" which is not part of the labour party (its some lobbying group)

Soldato
This is exactly me^ Voted conservative in 2015 but not now after what they have become in the last 12 months. I too would vote Lib Dem if we were voting for a party but also like you I am siding with Labour because our current MP at Gedling is Labour and to be fair he's ok. In the time he has been elected I have emailed him 3 times over a few things and he has always responded (not always how I hoped)but the fact that he or his office even bothered is good. Corbyn, I think he's a decent caring man but I'm not convinced he's a good leader but I would have him as PM every day of the week over May, she's insane.

As a benchmark a quick check to see how the likes of Scorza and co. are lining up confirms I'm on the right side of history ;)
Same, I voted Con in 2015, and would have voted Lib Dem this time, but they seem to have completely fallen to pieces. This should have been a golden opportunity for them, but I think they collapsed in the same way that May hoped Labour would collapse in dissaray. May is an authoritarian nutjob, so no, I won't vote for her.

Soldato
so this land tax, if I have a leeshold, where I dont own the land, how does that work?

I imagine there will be some wording along the lines of "receiving the benefit of the land....." etc, meaning that if you are living there without ownership then its your responsibility to pay it. Alternatively if they are stupid it will be a liability of your landlord which will mean several layers of mark up will be added to it before it hits your rent increase.

Soldato
Labour have not published anything other than the manifesto pledge to "look into a land value tax"

the numbers you are quoting are either the torys (its going to cost you £563496!) or the "labour land campaign" which is not part of the labour party (its some lobbying group)
John McDonnell is a member of the Labour Land Campaign, so the may not be totally off since he is the shadow chancellor. I agree the tory figures are way off though.

Caporegime
I like this land value tax. For me, it would almost certainly result in a tax rise as my house is worth about £350k even though it's a modest 2-bed semi. However, if it results in the less well off having to pay less due to them renting then I'm all for it.

What do you mean less well off and renting?

How does LVT affect people who rent?

Caporegime

Edit:

I am not sure thats right as its based as follows

This paper makes the case for replacing them with a Land Value Tax (LVT), which is an annual tax on land according to its value, disregarding the value of any buildings or other structures on the site, and payable by the owner of a site, not the occupier if not the owner.

So its irrelevant that your house is worth £350k, its what the land is worth.

I assume basically everywhere in deprived areas would pay less and in the south east you would pay more.

Also dont forget the proposed rates are massively increased for second homes etc.

Soldato
Depends on exact numbers but most likely a Tory minority government, possibly with some LibDem support.

Won't happen, Lib Dems will not align themselves to the Tories considering the insidious policies May is trying to sneak in via the back door. Moer likely outcome would be Libs to go in with labour and SNP to oust the Tories

Soldato

The problem is if everyone who wanted to vote LD but felt is was a wasted vote actually voted LD we might have a credible 3 party system. At the moment the feeling that it's a wasted vote is making for a self fulfilling prophesy. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom