Poll: Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Mk II

Who will you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I am not sure thats right as its based as follows

So its irrelevant that your house is worth £350k, its what the land is worth.

I assume basically everywhere in deprived areas would pay less and in the south east you would pay more.

Also dont forget the proposed rates are massively increased for second homes etc.
So if you're working class and have worked hard to buy a modest semi detached house in the south east you get hammered whilst millionaire landowners everywhere else get a cut subsidised by nurses, police officers, teachers, shop worked etc just because they live in the south east. Well done Labour... Damn anyone south of Watford, serves them right for living on Champagne and Caviar every day in their packed lunches....

Soldato
The problem is if everyone who wanted to vote LD but felt is was a wasted vote actually voted LD we might have a credible 3 party system. At the moment the feeling that it's a wasted vote is making for a self fulfilling prophesy. :(

I get that and its a real shame but I'm in a constituency that has a Labour MP with a majority of 3000 votes (20K) over a conservative with 17K votes. The lib dems got under 2K in 2015 and despite me voting for them in the recent local elections they haven't improved. I'm voting tactically really this time because I'm swinging from Conservative to Labour, they in effect drop 2 votes and I really don't want to help the Conservatives this time in any way. I understand the sentiment though but this time other things take a priority for me.

Soldato
The problem is if everyone who wanted to vote LD but felt is was a wasted vote actually voted LD we might have a credible 3 party system. At the moment the feeling that it's a wasted vote is making for a self fulfilling prophesy. :(

I think in these times if all those that would like to vote LD did vote LD, then you would just split the current labour vote to the point where the conservatives can go and do whatever they wish and rely almost entirely on their standard loyalist voters to keep power.

Caporegime
So if you're working class and have worked hard to buy a modest semi detached house in the south east you get hammered whilst millionaire landowners everywhere else get a cut subsidised by nurses, police officers, teachers, shop worked etc just because they live in the south east. Well done Labour... Damn anyone south of Watford, serves them right for living on Champagne and Caviar every day in their packed lunches....

Not quite sure how you get that from the proposal? If you read it, its going to be filtered in as obviously very high land value areas the payment under the new system could be up to 7 times more than what they are paying atm.

Millionaire landowners esp BTL landlords will be severely hit by this. Afterall the proposal is roughly cash natural across the country so if some people are going to be paying up to 7 times more then others will be paying less.

Soldato
I think in these times if all those that would like to vote LD did vote LD, then you would just split the current labour vote to the point where the conservatives can go and do whatever they wish and rely almost entirely on their standard loyalist voters to keep power.
I'm not sure actually - if this forum is anything to go buy I reckon there's enough people who might have voted Tory but are sufficiently disenchanted with them this time for what ever reason who would prefer to vote LD rather than Labour if they thought LD had a chance.

To be fair I'm not sure this forum is representative at the moment as it just seems to focus on Corbyn is and idiot who couldn't manage a bank account let alone a country and May is the evil witch of the east who want's ban christmas and make us all slaves. It's fun banter but i'm not sure it really sets the UK up for what is likely to be a troubled 5 years ahead. My fear is by trying to spite May we're actually going to stitch the country up with a weak minority or hung parliament which is unable to negotiate Brexit or the trade deals etc needed to replace it and leave us in effect with the lowest possible common denominator solution, the country on "pause" for five years and by the time we work out all the politicians have done for 5 years is bicker we'll be screwed and it's too late.

Soldato
Not quite sure how you get that from the proposal? If you read it, its going to be filtered in as obviously very high land value areas the payment under the new system could be up to 7 times more than what they are paying atm.

Millionaire landowners esp BTL landlords will be severely hit by this. Afterall the proposal is roughly cash natural across the country so if some people are going to be paying up to 7 times more then others will be paying less.
So if you live in an area of lower population density with lower land prices you will pay less for your mansion and 4 acres of land than a working class family of teachers being punished and forced to subsidise your estate because the small bit of land their Semi detached is built on is relatively expensive in the south east.

Some say Labour really don't think things through when it comes to money, don't see it myself, that seems a perfectly acceptable solution to stuff the south and secure votes everywhere else. Down with rich southerners!!!!

Caporegime
So if you live in an area of lower population density with lower land prices you will pay less for your mansion and 4 acres of land than a working class family of teachers being punished and forced to subsidise your estate because the small bit of land their Semi detached is built on is relatively expensive in the south east.

Some say Labour really don't think things through when it comes to money, don't see it myself, that seems a perfectly acceptable solution to stuff the south and secure votes everywhere else. Down with rich southerners!!!!

I seriously doubt that a mansion on 4 acres of land in the North will end been less than a semi in the south but I do see your point. But overall its a fairer system and also tackles over inflated house prices too.

Have a read of the proposal, it explains it much better than I can why its a better system than council tax. The biggest backlash i can see will come from home owners and BTL landlords as rental people will pay nothing under the new system.

Caporegime
I bet nobody thought we'd be talking about hung parliaments when May opened this can of worms!

Well nobody thought Brexit would happen or Trump would be President.... :D

I seriously doubt that a mansion on 4 acres of land in the North will end been less than a semi in the south but I do see your point. But overall its a fairer system and also tackles over inflated house prices too.

Have a read of the proposal, it explains it much better than I can why its a better system than council tax. The biggest backlash i can see will come from home owners and BTL landlords as rental people will pay nothing under the new system.

Wel that's me voting labour for sure then, I rent at the moment and would love to save £160 per month on council tax. :D :D

Soldato
If the polls are true it's a worry in my opinion. How can people swing left so easily? Have they no idea what is ahead with the Brexit negotiations? Strong and stable might seem like a laugh but that is what we need until we get a picture of what this country will look like outside of the EU.

Now is not the time for spite or experimentation.

Associate
What circumstances would potentially see a form of coalition government?
I can't really see any. It would be a huge loss of face for the Conservatives to have to go into another coalition, particularly after being the ones to call the election. I don't think they have enough common ground with the other parties (sans UKIP who aren't going to win any seats anyway) to form an effective coalition anyway. Labour look to be stealing a lot of the Lib Dem vote, so there won't be many seats to be had there; realistically the only party that Labour could go into coalition with would be the SNP, and even then there probably wouldn't be enough seats for an overall majority. A three-way coalition of Lab/Lib/SNP might do it, but I don't think they could form a functional government out of that.

In the case of a hung parliament, I'd guess the Conservatives would continue to govern with a minority. I'd then expect a further GE after Brexit negotiations have completed.

Soldato
Southampton, hopefully not too hot, or too cold
Wow, biggest swing on the forum ever? :)

Did you and others with such claims even look at how many have voted so far in this new poll created on 29th May, compared to how many voted in the old poll? ;)

Old poll final vote tally: 1659
New poll vote 31/5 @ ~1055: 634

It's far too soon to say there has been a major swing to Labour, over 1000s members still need to vote who voted in the last poll! ;)

Permabanned
If the polls are true it's a worry in my opinion. How can people swing left so easily? Have they no idea what is ahead with the Brexit negotiations? Strong and stable might seem like a laugh but that is what we need until we get a picture of what this country will look like outside of the EU.

Now is not the time for spite or experimentation.

Massive swaths of the country still disagree with Brexit. Democracy. :)

Suspended
To be fair I'm not sure this forum is representative at the moment as it just seems to focus on Corbyn is and idiot who couldn't manage a bank account let alone a country and May is the evil witch of the east who want's ban christmas and make us all slaves.

May was the one who made this election all about her and turned it in to some sort of horrendous presidential race.

(Some) reasons labour are doing better than expected is:

A) Their manifesto is brave and offers a radically different approach. No longer can people state "They are all the same" with a straight face.

B) The conservatives have taken their pensioner support for granted and are hitting them with very regressive policies.

C) People are looking at where we are as a country and started questioning the austerity cuts.

Associate
Well nobody thought Brexit would happen or Trump would be President.... :D

Wel that's me voting labour for sure then, I rent at the moment and would love to save £160 per month on council tax. :D :D

Would be a likely bet though that the unintended consequence is the btl landlords would pass on the extra costs in increased rent, at a time when renting is already more expensive than buying.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Pretty sure landlords will just raise rents accordingly :(

Would be a likely bet though that the unintended consequence is the btl landlords would pass on the extra costs in increased rent, at a time when renting is already more expensive the buying.

This is possible, but I'd rather not have to pay council tax. Shame it wont happen though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom