Poll: Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Mk II

Who will you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Brexit is so important that May can't be tied up with a TV debate, and simultaneously unimportant enough to call a general election during the Article 50 period. Got it.

Associate
I'm dumbfounded by the sheer number of people defending corporate tax avoidance, so we'd rather be shafted and cheated on than left? Economic equivalent of an abusive relationship.

Can you not understand that the government can reel in more tax receipts from having more businesses paying 20% than less businesses paying 26%.

You would put off investment in the country, just too make sure we sting the rich.

Permabanned
Brexit is so important that May can't be tied up with a TV debate, and simultaneously unimportant enough to call a general election during the Article 50 period. Got it.

Getting a good deal is so important... I dont know what kind of deal we are going to get. May has said a bad deal will ruin the economy. To me that says she will screw the breixters over.

Soldato
Can you not understand that the government can reel in more tax receipts from having more businesses paying 20% than less businesses paying 26%.

You would put off investment in the country, just too make sure we sting the rich.

Now forgive my economics knowledge failure, but why should we care about companies dissapearing that do not export. Surely companies who are theiving like Apple and Starbucks etc are just doing exactly that, stealing. Bare with me.
Since they don't export a product to bring money into the country they are essentially just redistriuting the wealth that is already here, I mean if they dissapeared another coffee company would just take their place and the public money that was going on their coffee will go else where and those companies will expand to fill the jobs.
As I see it, very simplistically you have tax>wage>overheads>profit. If the company isn't bringing in money from outside the country and not paying their adequate taxes plus low wages, then their profits are unfairly large cut of our GDP (given most of these companies are foreign) they are probably redistrubuting it outside the country.

Another thing I am also confused about is immigration workers. Now we all know the theory that they fuel the economy but I don't see how. The companies work better = bigger profits, cheaper wages > bigger profits, etc but none of this is redistributed back into the economy. The people at the top get richer, the people at the bottom who are meant to recieve better wages, don't. Infact they save up their money, don't spend it in local shop (i.e our economy) and instead send it home to a different country. We are essentially just making a few people and Poland richer!

Ocuk educate me!

Last edited:
Caporegime
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs/the_papers

Notice that all the tory papers have managed to get messages from May, so she couldnt make a TV debate but has time to pass on a message for her press to push out to the masses. The Sun, Daily Mail and others all are quoting her.

Yeah I had to laugh at the likes of DM, Express and Telegraph all pretty much saying it was a total disaster for Corbyn and May comes out best out of the debate. I must have watched the wrong debate.

Caporegime

I still dont get this. At 26% we will still have one of the lowest corporation tax rates in the world and still 7% to 12% less than our main EU rivals. Is the UK really that bad that we have to bribe any investment here by given bargain basement tax rates? If so then we are really truly ******* and may as well become a tax haven economy tomorrow.

Permabanned
Yeah I had to laugh at the likes of DM, Express and Telegraph all pretty much saying it was a total disaster for Corbyn and May comes out best out of the debate. I must have watched the wrong debate.

If she would have turned up she would have won.
She didn't .... She still won
Amer Rudd was awful but she still won
Corbyn was actually quite good but Theresa still won
Theresa responded with a fart and she won

The tories can do no wrong in the press. All hail Queen Uturn / May

Soldato
Infact they save up their money, don't spend it in local shop (i.e our economy) and instead send it home to a different country. We are essentially just making a few people and Poland richer!

This is a bit of a generalisation, but yes of course it happens. Arguably the other issue is that they have access to our services, NHS, benefits system etc. So they can take from the pot while having no history of paying in.

Soldato
This is a bit of a generalisation, but yes of course it happens. Arguably the other issue is that they have access to our services, NHS, benefits system etc. So they can take from the pot while having no history of paying in.

That is a huge generalisation,how do these people live? Food, daily items, rent, petrol and most of all taxes ? They pay all that. I know quite a few and not a single one sends money back to Poland. They all live here and are trying to make a living for themselves. I knew one guy, used to send some money monthly to help his grandma.. what a plum sack, should've bought a ps4.

Soldato

Labour's proposed reversal to 26% will still leave our corporation tax 9 points lower than that of the US.

We shouldn't try and compete in a race to the bottom. There will always a grossly-mismanaged country or tiny tax haven offering lower. Our country has so much more to offer businesses than merely a suicidely-low corporation tax rate.

Soldato

Yes, appreciated that it's a generalisation, but simplistically we seemingly don't appear to be worrying about the redistibution of our GDP. We should be concentrating heavily on where the money is going and how trying to stimlate companies who export so that we can take a bugger cut of the world economy. Allowing profits to be unfairly large means it's being pooled to a small minority. Employing a workforce that is allowing it to leave the country is also surely devaluing the £.
I don't have a solution mind you.

Caporegime

Pretty sure immigrants still pay taxes, it's only cash-in-hand style things that leech services.

But I do agree with the idea that, say Starbucks pulls out of the UK, it just means that Costa/Nero/etc will fill in the void, or indeed if an area is already at coffee-shop saturation point, it gives a different type of business space to be built.

Pretty much all companies have competitors, and they will fill the gaps left if a company decides to jump ship from the country.

Soldato
That is a huge generalisation,how do these people live? Food, daily items, rent, petrol and most of all taxes ? They pay all that. I know quite a few and not a single one sends money back to Poland. They all live here and are trying to make a living for themselves. I knew one guy, used to send some money monthly to help his grandma.. what a plum sack, should've bought a ps4.
Christ maybe the one I had met where a minority then. Every single taxi driver I've had recently has been a man who has left his family for several years to send all his profits home. One of the people I spoke to was to make a larger house in his country as a few years here is worth 10 in his, my bad for assuming this was indictive of all of them.

Caporegime
Christ maybe the one I had met where a minority then. Every single taxi driver I've had recently has been a man who has left his family for several years to send all his profits home. One of the people I spoke to was to make a larger house in his country as a few years here is worth 10 in his, my bad for assuming this was indictive of all of them.

How do you feel about British ex-pats moving to Europe, taking all their savings with them and out of our economy?

Associate
I missed the last part of the debate last night, but from what i saw of it the person that i was pleasently surprised with how he handled him self was Tim Farron. Over the last few weeks, i have also started to warm up a little to Corbyn, he has certainly upped his game and i can see the appeal. But he is far to left for me, his past is a bit of issue, his personal stance on defence, the rest of the shadow cabinet really puts me off and how he has not been able to have a stable shadow cabinet sense being labour leader.
But i won't be changing my vote, even with a manifesto that is patchy at best, i will still vote for the Conservatives as i think they will be best suited to handle Brexit. If we weren't leaving the EU, i would find it very difficult to choose who to vote for this election. I think if they lose this May is finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom