Poll: Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Mk II

Who will you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow the papers must have written their articles before the debate

I always judge based on audience participation. As it was a balanced audience based on last general election and Brexit

Jeremy/farron and greens all got some resounding audience support at time
UKIP managed one small positive, but got lots of negative reaction
I dont think Rudd got one positive, mainly neutral/negative

If May had of turned up it would have been worse though, shes running scared, shes terribad at debate and doing anything other than soundbites.

I still think the Tories will get a majority, but if its less than say 30-40 will May survive?

Soldato
How do you feel about British ex-pats moving to Europe, taking all their savings with them and out of our economy?

The same frankly, but I would imagine they are a vastly smaller proportion, plus at least they have spent many many year improving the economy rather than coming to the country to take. Again as I said I guess the problem isn't as big a problem as I thought i might be. I would however say that foreign companies who take huge profits no tax and then take it to their countries (are they allowed to do this) is a vastly larger problem.

Caporegime
Labour's proposed reversal to 26% will still leave our corporation tax 9 points lower than that of the US.

We shouldn't try and compete in a race to the bottom. There will always a grossly-mismanaged country or tiny tax haven offering lower. Our country has so much more to offer businesses than merely a suicidely-low corporation tax rate.
The US are planning on massively reducing their corporation tax rates though.

Tbh corporation tax needs to die, it's pointless because you're trying to tax profit, which doesn't actually exist except in the minds of accountants. Don't really know what the best alternative would be, but I'm sure there are good alternatives.

Suspended
Tbh corporation tax needs to die, it's pointless because you're trying to tax profit, which doesn't actually exist except in the minds of accountants. Don't really know what the best alternative would be, but I'm sure there are good alternatives.

What a stupid thing to say

Anyone who gets a Dividend of any sort, does so because a company is making profit. You can't take dividends from a company making a loss.

Suspended
But i won't be changing my vote, even with a manifesto that is patchy at best, i will still vote for the Conservatives as i think they will be best suited to handle Brexit. If we weren't leaving the EU, i would find it very difficult to choose who to vote for this election. I think if they lose this May is finished.

The conservatives are relying on people like you, who will vote for them even in the face of their poor leader, "patchy" manifesto, austerity cuts and just generally taking the electorate for granted.

Caporegime
The US are planning on massively reducing their corporation tax rates though.

Wow you have said some pretty stupidly wrong things before but this takes the biscuit.

On the subject of the US corporation tax cuts proposed we dont need to copy that. Its a huge gamble which will lead to the US have a debt of 112% to GDP. If it doesnt drive their GDP growth to 5 to 10% then they might become bankrupt.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Jesus. Just caught the Tories party broadcast on BBC1.

What a load of ****. Absolutely zero substance, basically just saying "well you don't want Corbyn do you..".

Must check out later - this tactic worked so well for the Democrats. I think/hope people are getting sick of platitudes and lack of policy substance.

Associate
US companies keep their profits offshore and do not pay dividends in order to avoid US corporation tax @ 35%, look at Apple and its cash mountain for an example. Ireland, on the other hand, has low corporate taxation and a lot of high-skilled jobs as companies put their EU HQ's in Cork and Dublin.

Soldato
May has been horribly exposed with this election...she clearly thought a Bannon-inspired campaign of dumb repetition was going to do the job, took the country for a bunch of flag-waving morons.

Good to see her low opinion of the country being proved wrong. I expect a further narrowing of the polls after her no show.

Associate
The conservatives are relying on people like you, who will vote for them even in the face of their poor leader, "patchy" manifesto, austerity cuts and just generally taking the electorate for granted.

I agree with that statement. But i can't vote for a party that has a leader that is pacifist and reduce our Military defences. For example he would like to scrap our nuclear weapons, i know in the manifesto they state they won't scrap it. But once he is in power whats to stop him. If someone was to attack us, i would like to see a rapid response from our government. But with Corbyn i see a man who would want to sit around a table with our attacker, with tea and biscuits.

Associate
Lazlo a 30 yr old Hungarian has been earning £28k gross for the past 8 years, he and his Polish partner have been living in shared accommodation paying £400 pcm all bills inclusive ( food aside ) they have just bought a detached 3 bed home in Budpaest,cash.

He is renting out the home for the next three years whilst he completes a uni course here in the UK which will see him return home to an actual career which will pay him almost double the salary he would have had if he had not been here to study, by his own estimates he should be able to retire at 50.

He buy's roughly 80% of his food and domestic supplies at Polish / Hungarian shops, his clothes he tends to buy at Primark in order to save cash and be able to send more home, he loves England.

On the whole he has found the British public to be good matured and tolerant people, he barely spoke a word of English when he landed but is now pretty fluent due in part to work colleagues helping him out whilst on breaks etc, he is totally honest and upfront about the whole situation, he freely admits that he is here to take what he can as quickly as he can to give himself a better quality of life and to secure a strong financial future for any family he may have.

In his own opinion the British government have made things so easy for him, support and advice from benefits agencies, easy access to further education and first class medical care which is going to work to fix a prolapsed disc in his spine next month.

When talking with him about this I asked "Do you think I could have gone to Hungary or Poland and done what you've done here?"

Lazlo just beamed at me and laughed "stupid Englishman" by which he meant no offence,he was just saying it exactly how it is.

Laz is one of about thirty EU workers I work alongside and having spoken to most of them about the situation he is absolutely in the majority, I think two have actually stated they wished to remain in the UK but tempered this by admitting this was probably influenced by being in relationships with English women.

Associate
I agree with that statement. But i can't vote for a party that has a leader that is pacifist and reduce our Military defences. For example he would like to scrap our nuclear weapons

What actual use are our defences? irrespective of who fires first we all lose, and by we I mean us joe public, not anyone in power.

All we are doing in spending vast sums of money on perpetuating mutual fear, if we're bluffing and wouldn't fire we've wasted all that money, if we aren't bluffing and do fire and hence get counter struck then all the money we have spent won't do a damn thing to save us.

The argument for nuclear deterrents is among the most archaic, did nobody watch WarGames damnit!!

Caporegime
Lazlo a 30 yr old Hungarian has been earning £28k gross for the past 8 years, he and his Polish partner have been living in shared accommodation paying £400 pcm all bills inclusive ( food aside ) they have just bought a detached 3 bed home in Budpaest,cash.

He is renting out the home for the next three years whilst he completes a uni course here in the UK which will see him return home to an actual career which will pay him almost double the salary he would have had if he had not been here to study, by his own estimates he should be able to retire at 50.

He buy's roughly 80% of his food and domestic supplies at Polish / Hungarian shops, his clothes he tends to buy at Primark in order to save cash and be able to send more home, he loves England.

On the whole he has found the British public to be good matured and tolerant people, he barely spoke a word of English when he landed but is now pretty fluent due in part to work colleagues helping him out whilst on breaks etc, he is totally honest and upfront about the whole situation, he freely admits that he is here to take what he can as quickly as he can to give himself a better quality of life and to secure a strong financial future for any family he may have.

In his own opinion the British government have made things so easy for him, support and advice from benefits agencies, easy access to further education and first class medical care which is going to work to fix a prolapsed disc in his spine next month.

When talking with him about this I asked "Do you think I could have gone to Hungary or Poland and done what you've done here?"

Lazlo just beamed at me and laughed "stupid Englishman" by which he meant no offence,he was just saying it exactly how it is.

Laz is one of about thirty EU workers I work alongside and having spoken to most of them about the situation he is absolutely in the majority, I think two have actually stated they wished to remain in the UK but tempered this by admitting this was probably influenced by being in relationships with English women.

Yeah and I can give you anecdotes from the EU workers who work along side me who are living in cheap accommodation and saving money in order to bring their wife and children voer once they can afford a house.

Anecdotes mean nothing.

Soldato
May has been horribly exposed with this election...she clearly thought a Bannon-inspired campaign of dumb repetition was going to do the job, took the country for a bunch of flag-waving morons.

Good to see her low opinion of the country being proved wrong. I expect a further narrowing of the polls after her no show.

Sadly though ocuk has plenty of those morons who are indicative of the population at large who say they will vote conservative for no reason they can define and despite knowing they will be shafted by them.

(This isn't a dig at those who are putting forth a structured pro Con view, it's for those posters who are declaring a desire to vote for a reason they simply cannot define which I find insane)

Associate
I don't know how to vote -

I probably would have reluctantly voted Conservative, but the 'dementia tax' has changed things there, and I hate seeing our public services wasting away while global corps don't contribute enough tax.

I can't vote Labour as I don't trust them not to pile up masses of debt, and Diane Abbot as Home Secretary ? No way.

Tim Farron is awful and the Lib Dems need to get over Brexit, UKIP is an unelectable shower of incompetents, the Greens live in cloud cuckoo land and claim they love the environment, while simultaneously wanting an ever expanding population in this country...

I really think I'll have to just spoil my ballot paper with 'none of the above' written all over it.

Caporegime
Sadly though ocuk has plenty of those morons who are indicative of the population at large who say they will vote conservative for no reason they can define and despite knowing they will be shafted by them.

(This isn't a dig at those who are putting forth a structured pro Con view, it's for those posters who are declaring a desire to vote for a reason they simply cannot define which I find insane)

I suspect that since its more of a case that a very large majority of ocuk forum members are in the top 5% of the earners in the UK and some on here are even in the top 2% then of course they will always vote Tory no matter what they do.

The ocuk forum demographic of earners and education does not reflect the country as a whole.

Suspended
Ireland, on the other hand, has low corporate taxation and a lot of high-skilled jobs as companies put their EU HQ's in Cork and Dublin.

The thing about this is that they don't even pay the full amount of tax that they should in Ireland, hence this news story from last year:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37220799

Apple set up their sales operations in Europe in such a way that customers were contractually buying products from Apple Sales International in Ireland rather than from the shops that physically sold the products to customers. In this way Apple recorded all sales, and the profits stemming from these sales, directly in Ireland.

Therefore, only a small percentage of Apple Sales International's profits were taxed in Ireland, and the rest was taxed nowhere. In 2011, for example (according to figures released at US Senate public hearings), Apple Sales International recorded profits of US$ 22 billion (c.a. €16 billion[1]) but under the terms of the tax ruling only around €50 million were considered taxable in Ireland, leaving €15.95 billion of profits untaxed. As a result, Apple Sales International paid less than €10 million of corporate tax in Ireland in 2011, an effective tax rate of about 0.05% on its overall annual profits. In subsequent years, Apple Sales International's recorded profits continued to increase but the profits considered taxable in Ireland under the terms of the tax ruling did not. Thus this effective tax rate decreased further to only 0.005% in 2014.

The only real benefit of Apple HQ in Cork is that they provide 4,000 local jobs (but that is still only 3% of the population of Cork - Possibly 10-15% of the working population)

Soldato

I work in an office with plenty of euopeans from diverse backgrounds (it's an European engineering company) who have came in fully educated and now earn good money, pay their taxes and do everything by the book despite this governments desire to treat them like scum because they dared to be birthed on the continent.

Plenty of Brits work abroad and do similar things to your silly example. I don't really get your point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom