Poll: Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Mk II

Who will you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
US companies keep their profits offshore and do not pay dividends in order to avoid US corporation tax @ 35%, look at Apple and its cash mountain for an example. Ireland, on the other hand, has low corporate taxation and a lot of high-skilled jobs as companies put their EU HQ's in Cork and Dublin.
They have a lot of corporations but not a lot of high-skilled jobs as a result of their policy. Most of the corporations there don't really do much other than handle the accounts - I think it's Apple where the head of their EU office in Dublin actually reports to the head of the Apple UK office, where all the highly-skilled work in Europe is done. We shouldn't have let them get away with this for so long but we did, so more fool us.

Soldato
I missed the last part of the debate last night, but from what i saw of it the person that i was pleasently surprised with how he handled him self was Tim Farron. Over the last few weeks, i have also started to warm up a little to Corbyn, he has certainly upped his game and i can see the appeal. But he is far to left for me, his past is a bit of issue, his personal stance on defence, the rest of the shadow cabinet really puts me off and how he has not been able to have a stable shadow cabinet sense being labour leader.
But i won't be changing my vote, even with a manifesto that is patchy at best, i will still vote for the Conservatives as i think they will be best suited to handle Brexit. If we weren't leaving the EU, i would find it very difficult to choose who to vote for this election. I think if they lose this May is finished.
Amazing. May is terrible, you know she is terrible, yet you will still give her your vote, just because. The Cons love people like you.

Soldato
I suspect that since its more of a case that a very large majority of ocuk forum members are in the top 5% of the earners in the UK and some on here are even in the top 2% then of course they will always vote Tory no matter what they do.

The ocuk forum demographic of earners and education does not reflect the country as a whole.

I'm not suggesting it does, whilst I believe Con will hurt the country it is people's choice and if someone can put forth a structured argument as to why they are voting and how it benefits them then fine, fair play.

It's the posts of I'm voting Con because I am posts I just find baffling.

Associate
What actual use are our defences? irrespective of who fires first we all lose, and by we I mean us joe public, not anyone in power.

All we are doing in spending vast sums of money on perpetuating mutual fear, if we're bluffing and wouldn't fire we've wasted all that money, if we aren't bluffing and do fire and hence get counter struck then all the money we have spent won't do a damn thing to save us.

The argument for nuclear deterrents is among the most archaic, did nobody watch WarGames damnit!!

Great film.

Yes it is a little archaic, but we live a world were they are necessary as deterrent.

Associate
I work in an office with plenty of euopeans from diverse backgrounds (it's an European engineering company) who have came in fully educated and now earn good money, pay their taxes and do everything by the book despite this governments desire to treat them like scum because they dared to be birthed on the continent.

Plenty of Brits work abroad and do similar things to your silly example. I don't really get your point?

So by recounting what you encounter on a daily basis I can take it your example is just as silly as mine?

I am merely doing what your doing relaying and expressing real life examples, the difference being that I don't have to get defensive and personal when someones else's point of view or life experience differs from my own.

Soldato
So by recounting what you encounter on a daily basis I can take it your example is just as silly as mine?

I am merely doing what your doing relaying and expressing real life examples, the difference being that I don't have to get defensive and personal when someones else's point of view or life experience differs from my own.

It is a silly example from me I'm just showing how pointless anecdotes are as for each one someone throws out someone can chuck a counter point out just as easily.

You haven't stated your vote intent but I'll hazard a guess you are saying Cons? If so basing that on a few people who will take advantage of a system is a little strange when it goes both ways and there as equally as many who do the direct opposite and become contributing members of society.

If it a came across as a criticism as I apologise I just get vexed and like to challenge people to think about what they are saying and consider alternative viewpoints as doing such can only help people. It may well not change your mind (or anyone's) but making an informed choice will help benefit anyone.

Associate
Amazing. May is terrible, you know she is terrible, yet you will still give her your vote, just because. The Cons love people like you.

They are all terrible and our only out to better themselves. As we stand non of the parties actually fill me with hope. I have Labour most of life but i can't at the moment.

Caporegime
Ok let's examine this as I keep hearing it.

Who exactly are our nukes deterring?

As much as it pains me to say (because id rather spend the money on free ponies than pointless trinkets), but if the US were ever to abandon Europe, then we become free game to Russia. But I dont expect that to happen.

Associate
It is a silly example from me I'm just showing how pointless anecdotes are as for each one someone throws out someone can chuck a counter point out just as easily.

Given that most debate and discussion is anecdotal should we all just pack up and go home?

New cpu clocked at 8ghz shhhh

New audi sat on my driveway shhhh

My wife has left me and run off with an irish magician shhhh

Associate
As much as it pains me to say (because id rather spend the money on free ponies than pointless trinkets), but if the US were ever to abandon Europe, then we become free game to Russia. But I dont expect that to happen.

Genuine question and not being inflammatory, if we weren't so strongly aligned with the US what interest would Russia have in us?

Soldato
I suspect that since its more of a case that a very large majority of ocuk forum members are in the top 5% of the earners in the UK and some on here are even in the top 2% then of course they will always vote Tory no matter what they do.

The ocuk forum demographic of earners and education does not reflect the country as a whole.

So you're saying that the top 2%/5% of earners will only ever vote Tory?

Man of Honour
The newspaper headlines today means I'm unlikely to read a newspaper ever again tbh. The pro-May rhetoric is so dumb it's insulting. Biased audience wtf - even if that were true, which it wasn't, why not report on what they actually said? Or didn't say?

Soldato
Given that most debate and discussion is anecdotal should we all just pack up and go home?

New cpu clocked at 8ghz shhhh

New audi sat on my driveway shhhh

My wife has left me and run off with an irish magician shhhh

You are confusing two issues.

Everything you have listed above are conversations.

Populists (which is a platform Maybot has attempted to run on using a vacuous campaign cantered on herself) rely on emotive, anecdotal evidence and give you very little/no facts as they do not want you informed, they do not want you to know what is best for you. They slap ridiculous slogans on buses (350miion for the NHS) they put up evocative posters (Farages immigrant poster) or come out with nonesensical, repetitive phrases (strong and stable) to stifle debate to reach power without having to really say anything at all.

It's your life but you do yourself a disservice and (I'll make a leap here) your future children's lives a disservice by not making yourself aware of issues, seeing what will most benefit you and your own in the future and voting in accordance with this. If you do this and say "Cons are right for me" fine as I don't know or particularly care about your individual circumstances I'm just a passionate believer in the fact that people should be fully cognisant of the impact of their actions (in this case a vote) before acting. I could kind of understand some peoples lack of engagement if it was an election of 10 years ago where you could barely slide a tab paper between the two parties but in this election we have two quite divergent paths this country will go down based on who gets in power and both will have an impact on people's lives to one degree or another.

Caporegime
Genuine question and not being inflammatory, if we weren't so strongly aligned with the US what interest would Russia have in us?

1800s were pretty fraught with Imperial struggles between Britain and Russia, though... not on the level they are with America, so i don't know. But If Russia wanted to play political games in Europe with Nukes at the back, then it can't really achieve that if the US is in the picture.

Soldato
You look at Corbyn and genuinely see a man only out to better himself?

A man who has one of the lowest expenses claims records in parliament.

I don't know about anyone else but I've been fingers in the ears I'm not listening vote for Tory since the start. However, with May not turning up - even the Wales Tory guy didn't up to the Wales debate, it's making me think can I really vote for a party so far up it's own bottom it won't make the effort. It's like they thought this would be a slam dunk and have proceeded to balls it up fairly spectacularly.

My only problem is that although I've warmed to Corbyn I simply can't vote Labour. They have nothing in their manifesto that even slightly appeals to me. I also believe they will bloat the public sector and make the UK debt even worse. I also don't feel Labour has really provided any substance as to how they will handle Brexit.

Lib Dem and Tim Farron aren't really strong enough to lead but might be a temper to an off the reigns Tory government if we end up with a coalition.

Soldato
The newspaper headlines today means I'm unlikely to read a newspaper ever again tbh. The pro-May rhetoric is so dumb it's insulting. Biased audience wtf - even if that were true, which it wasn't, why not report on what they actually said? Or didn't say?
The crowd was extremely left wing biased. Cheering and clapping at anything and everything Corbyn said, even booing the person asking the questions when trying to push Corbyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom