• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Poll: Will you be buying a 2080Ti/2080/2070?

Which card will you be buying?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No - Other (Please state)
I know people that earn over £100k after tax and even they refuse to spend stupid money on cards like this. At my level they're so ridiculously expensive, you might as well ask me which conglomerate I fancy buying out this week....!!
They're probably just not interested in gaming enough :).
Some can justify it. I can't justify paying £6k for a bicycle but a friend on < £40k a year bought one recently.

I tend to consider is the cost of ownership rather than the cost of buying. GPU's, at least not at the top end tend to hold their values pretty well while current gen. THink I'd be more interested in the 2080 than the Ti at this stage - middle ground.

Last edited:
I have a 980 and it plays everything I want to play without issue at 1440p thingy.

I shall not be rushing into this one.

Is it me or has this launch got the biggest load of technobabble in the marketing blurb for quite a few years ?

This from the OCUK 2070 page (think its same on all pages) https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/nvidia/geforce-rtx-2070

TENSOR CORES
The Tensor core is basically 10x 1080ti's dedicated to AI which highlights the pure computational power the RTX houses.

Tensor cores have been specially developed for deep learning and feature data paths optimized for floating point computational throughput. Delivering upto 12x higher peak teraflops (TFLOPS) in training and upto 6x higher in interference over the previous generation

What does that actually MEAN ? :)

its not just Ray Tracing they are saying it gives enhanced AI too... :)

Just need Gibbo to come along and do some deals.

So a 2080ti looks barely capable of playing games with Ray tracing at low resolutions......

It had better have pretty awesome performance over the 1080ti when not using Ray tracing 20-25% ain't great for pretty much double the price (and thoose percentages may be optimistic in current titles)

It's like hardware transform and lighting again from the late 90s, they couldn't make em any faster so just added new 'features' forcing people to upgrade for no real benefit really, it's just marketing and forced obsolescence - sure its gonna be faster, but not a huge amount, and people are already running fast enough for most games, so Nvidia needed to force in something new thats not available on hardware to date.

Also I suspect when ray tracing is mainstream, these cards will be very slow in effective use in advanced games - so really no point in getting them because when your gonna use it, 3 newer generations will have come out.

Yes it's marketing rubbish. Comparing a tensor core's ability to run dedicated AI is 10x that of a 1080Ti is like saying that an Apache helicopter can get better air than a Mclaren P1.

People that interested in ordering a 2080 or 2080ti is it because you want a faster GPU or is it for the Ray Tracing or both

Which is the most important to you ?

I myself don't really care all about the ray tracing at this time as I just want a faster GPU for running my 3440x1440p monitor and am also looking & thinking of getting a 4k TV to play games on..

Marketing rubbish mate

Have a look here the performance at 1080p

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Grafi...ormance-in-Shadow-of-the-Tomb-Raider-1263244/

bloody unacceptable even as gimmick. 28-30fps at 1080p? Seriously?

Neither because I'm not stupid. They're not wrong, ray tracing is the holy grail with 3d graphics, but it doesn't look like they've really got it cracked here.

I am looking to build my old man a PC for his 60th in December so was contemplating buying a 2080Ti and to give him my current 1080Ti.

But I really think the Ray Tracing is going to be like Nvidia Hairworks. It's great for screenshots but for actual gameplay? Nope. You turn it to low or off for a smoother high FPS. Paying nearly double what I did for the 1080ti is hard to swallow if it's only a 20% jump - Which is what I'm expecting the moment if I'm honest.

So a 2080ti looks barely capable of playing games with Ray tracing at low resolutions......

It had better have pretty awesome performance over the 1080ti when not using Ray tracing 20-25% ain't great for pretty much double the price (and thoose percentages may be optimistic in current titles)

I doubt we will see 25% gains tbh....

well lol was looking for upgrade from 2 asus gtx 980 TIs in sli cost was very big £1350. but after seeing the price for 2 RTX 2080 TIs at £ 3200 will prob waite for next gen

Back
Top Bottom