• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Poll: Will you be buying a 2080Ti/2080/2070?

Which card will you be buying?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yup. Unfortunately there are plenty of idiots out there willing to pay silly money for them.

Why shouldn't they? It seems a lot of people here are pretty jealous of other people. TU102 with 750mm² Diesize is clearly a pro chip. No other company is even trying to bring such big chips to consumers, because it's too expensive. People don't need to buy it, but people also don't need to buy a threadripper 32 Core. All idiots it seems according to you. It's just an option for the people who have money. NV would never bring such a chip down much in price. Before that it would just be like with Intels Pro Chips, that the chip wouldn't exist for consumers.

Actually i'm happy that we again have a 500-550 mm² high-end chip in the 2080 and 2070. Just a bit annoyed about 8 GB ram. Everything else will depend on performance, but we don't know anything about that yet.

No chance i'll be buying one. My 1080 does my absolutely fine and barely breaks a sweat in most games, albeit I'm still on a 1080p 60hz screen.

Sure, these cards will be faster but I don't think it'll be anything crazy. Unless in games with ray tracing.

Think I'll just pocket £30 a month for the next 2 years for my next upgrade.

Why shouldn't they? It seems a lot of people here are pretty jealous of other people. TU102 with 750mm² Diesize is clearly a pro chip. No other company is even trying to bring such big chips to consumers, because it's too expensive. People don't need to buy it, but people also don't need to buy a threadripper 32 Core. All idiots it seems according to you. It's just an option for the people who have money. NV would never bring such a chip down much in price. Before that it would just be like with Intels Pro Chips, that the chip wouldn't exist for consumers.

Actually i'm happy that we again have a 500-550 mm² high-end chip in the 2080 and 2070. Just a bit annoyed about 8 GB ram. Everything else will depend on performance, but we don't know anything about that yet.

It's great when you look at it from a tech nerd perspective. But from a gamers perspective it's a shambles.

Because it's a total rip-off and we should all be boycotting it.

Right now GPUs have got a bit like CPUs. Frequent upgrades just aren't needed.

Yeah I was hoping for more ram on the 2080 :/

Why shouldn't they? It seems a lot of people here are pretty jealous of other people. TU102 with 750mm² Diesize is clearly a pro chip. No other company is even trying to bring such big chips to consumers, because it's too expensive.

Well, v100 is bigger at 815mm2, but that's nVidia too :p Intel have had more than a few CPUs at 650mm2+ though, the biggest being the 61 core xeon phi @ 720mm2.

Well it's a good thing that people who don't want to buy RTX cards don't have to, and people that do, can do it. Win-win for all.

Not really, because people who do want to buy it have the option to and people who did but now don't have no upgrade path from the 10 series cards they are probably already on and that's the real issue - that nVidia have released a new series of cards and (potentially, until it's confirmed) not pushed raw performance on much at all, and that's a kick in the teeth for people who have been waiting. It also has deeper ramifications for future pricing of cards which IMO are already getting out of control.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...-should-jump-off-the-hype-train/#245a6cf33f8e

"When you step away from the spectacle, what the event lacked was a compelling reason to upgrade.
Before you pull the trigger on pre-ordering the RTX 2080 Ti or RTX 2080, though, please listen to some advice: don't. Don't pay inflated prices for marginal performance gains over the 10 Series. In fact, don't buy this new generation of GPUs from Nvidia at all, because there's something better coming.

The reality of the RTX 20 Series that releases next month is this: it's a money-grab designed to get early adopters on the ray tracing hype train for the 20 or so games that will ship with the feature. It's a stopgap to 7nm cards that should arrive in 2019 and offer substantial performance gains and power efficiency improvements

Ask yourself why Nvidia showed approximately zero gaming benchmarks without ray tracing. There were no performance comparisons between, say, the GTX 1080 Ti and the RTX 2080 Ti for the most popular games already out there.

Right now, though, Nvidia has no competition in this space. It can sell its new generation solely on the back of ray tracing hype and charge whatever it wants. There's no pressure, and I guarantee a genuinely jaw-dropping iteration of the RTX series is waiting in the wings.

Don't misunderstand me. The GeForce RTX cards are probably great products. They're just overpriced, unproven products. Wait for the reviews."

Basically most of what has been already said here in an article from a high profile mag which is worth a read.

8GB is more than enough in fairness, although for such a pricey card, it wouldn't have hurt to add more.

Thinking more of the future and 4k 8gb is fine for most games but there are a few games that it get close I think show of mordor can ago above that depending on res.

The nerve of Nvidia to actually just stack new prices on top of existing cards (which is still practically selling at launch prices after all this time).

Greed at its finest.

I don't believe people actually have limits though. Every launch there's an uproar and negativity about prices but GPUs somehow always manages to sell out.

I bought my 1070 for £400ish, and then upgraded for a nice boost to a 1080Ti for £700ish. I got £340 for my 1070 so wasn't a massive cost to do that upgrade.
Waiting for benchmarks to see if 2080 is a good increase over my current 1080Ti, otherwise I'll keep what I've got till next year. I only play games on my Oculus Rift now and it's only a couple of titles I play that would really benefit anyway.

I love that die size is now a concrete indicator of performance.

You don't think nvidia have thought about this? They can make the die as big as they want just by spacing things out and adding silicone. Great way to convince people they are getting a full fat GPU.

I bought my 1070 for £400ish, and then upgraded for a nice boost to a 1080Ti for £700ish. I got £340 for my 1070 so wasn't a massive cost to do that upgrade.
Waiting for benchmarks to see if 2080 is a good increase over my current 1080Ti, otherwise I'll keep what I've got till next year. I only play games on my Oculus Rift now and it's only a couple of titles I play that would really benefit anyway.

For you I would say wouldn't be a point unless you play many games and at high resolution your 1080ti will be fine for a few years plus there just isn't that much on the VR side that really need the extra performance and I do have an Oculus haven't used it since Lone echo.

No chance i'll be buying one. My 1080 does my absolutely fine and barely breaks a sweat in most games, albeit I'm still on a 1080p 60hz screen.

Sure, these cards will be faster but I don't think it'll be anything crazy. Unless in games with ray tracing.

Think I'll just pocket £30 a month for the next 2 years for my next upgrade.

That 30 x 24 months might just get you a 4050Ti :D

You don't think nvidia have thought about this? They can make the die as big as they want just by spacing things out and adding silicone. Great way to convince people they are getting a full fat GPU.

This has proper made me chuckle. You honestly think that they have made the chip big and just spaced things out? This post will sit with me all day, as it is so funny :D Thanks for that :D :D

He may mean an "educated guess" rather than an informed decision, perhaps he just got it wrong.

That's the one cheers bud and not enough coffee for me.

I mean, wow.

Back
Top Bottom