• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Poll: Will you be buying a 2080Ti/2080/2070?

Which card will you be buying?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Are you talking in terms of users or game changing experience?
Game changing experience, though it's rhetorical, there's been nothing as big as Ray Tracing since HW T&L in '99.

if the former then i have no idea, if the latter however it is VR without question
1: VR came out before HW T&L.
2: It's monitor tech not graphics tech (and very gimmicky tech at that).

Soldato
1: VR came out before HW T&L.
2: It's monitor tech not graphics tech (and very gimmicky tech at that).

VR in its current form came out after hardware T&L. (otherwise we could argue computers have been ray tracing for years ;) )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fy2bmXfOFs

regarding your 2nd point...... fair point on it being display tech........ but gimmiky? i cant agree there, if anything i would argue those shots in tombraider were more gimmiky than comparing a game in VR vs the same game on a screen (take say pCARS2 or Elite Dangerous both of which support both types of display)

Soldato
I wouldn't call raytracing the most important or game changing feature in over a decade.

I agree: there's VR. But real-time ray-tracing is the most important and game-changing rendering technology in a long time. And it can be used with VR. From what I've seen, we're generations off prime time - I expect to see it not in the next generation of consoles but the one after - but I'm eager to get started.

BTW thanks to the Uncanny Valley effect, I'm expecting ray tracing to make things look worse at some point.

Associate
I wouldn't say VR is a gimmick, it's on another level of immersion that you can't experience on a TV. Thing is I find VR a limited one, more akin to a fair ground ride, it's good for a few hours but then the experience wears off. I sold mine as I just couldn't be bothered to wear it anymore plus I prefer 4k with HDR. I also couldn't handle horror games well...:D

Back on topic, raytracing is going to bring a new level of realism to games and that I includes VR, I'm excited to see how devs use it in horror games. They could do some really mind bending effects with it using shadows and reflections.

I'd imagine in time games will have a more organic look to them if that makes sense ?

Soldato
Back on topic, raytracing is going to bring a new level of realism to games and that I includes VR, I'm excited to see how devs use it in horror games. They could do some really mind bending effects with it using shadows and reflections.

I'd imagine in time games will have a more organic look to them if that makes sense ?

I think when it settles down it will be great. i do worry a bit that (much like some of the more cheesy 3D movies) there will be a bedding in period where games just have "look at me ray tracing" effects thrown in, just because they can, rather than because it fits with the scene if that makes sense.

there is only so much bright light on chrome ** that i want to see in a game. 5-10 years from now i doubt we will be able to imagine NOT having proper ray tracing in games.

** yes i know ray tracing is so much more than that, but initially i worry that the more subtle things will not be "enough" to get value out of showing off the tech, so the more OTT effects may be over emphasised**

Associate
prob be 3 years for me to upgread lol I have 2 asus gtx 980 matrix + intel i7 5830 clocked at 4.8 ghz . so till they get the prich right I will wait for next gen cards lol no games I know beat my pc .+ when I got the crads they coust me £1500 for 2 now they want £3000

Associate
prob be 3 years for me to upgread lol I have 2 asus gtx 980 matrix + intel i7 5830 clocked at 4.8 ghz . so till they get the prich right I will wait for next gen cards lol no games I know beat my pc .+ when I got the crads they coust me £1500 for 2 now they want £3000

Actually if you went from 980 to 2080 it’s the same price. 2080ti’s you could get for 2200ish.

Associate
Just watched the gamers nexus video preview of the Gigabyte cards and the 2080ti is huge. Glad I got the founders edition as I don't think these third party cards would fit in my case. 1080ti strix was a bit tight.

Associate
Just watched the gamers nexus video preview of the Gigabyte cards and the 2080ti is huge. Glad I got the founders edition as I don't think these third party cards would fit in my case. 1080ti strix was a bit tight.

I wonder if all these massive 2.75 slot Ti's are neccessary for a real, thermal reason or if they are just trying to differentiate? If the former, then do I worry about Nvidias nice slim 2 slot offering? If the latter then I definitely think its the wrong direction to go.

Soldato
I wonder if all these massive 2.75 slot Ti's are neccessary for a real, thermal reason or if they are just trying to differentiate? If the former, then do I worry about Nvidias nice slim 2 slot offering? If the latter then I definitely think its the wrong direction to go.

I generally always stick with the reference / FE models, most others look like terrible :D

Associate
Nope not interested as those price points.. they have finally gone through my comfort barrier for prices.

Pretty much this. Gonna keep what I have until prices become less stupid. I really wish AMD were competing, I'd be very much up for one of those if they had an alternative at a decent price. But after Vega pricing, I'm not even sure that'd happen these days.

Associate

My Strix 1080ti is so tight in my set up, the far end of the PCIe doesn't fully insert, but I do get all 16 lanes (the end butts against my radiator and the GPU is a real shove and heave to get in and out). One of the things I am looking forward to about the 2080ti FE is that I will now have room to spare.

Soldato
I'm gonna wait until summer next year to buy a pre-owned 2080 Ti at half the price, I usually upgrade my GPU once every year to the latest but £1100 I just cannot condone, I can afford it but if I handed over £1100 I'd be telling Nvidia that yearly price increases of 57% on the Ti model is completely fine when it's really not, Sadly a lot of people haven't thought this through and will just throw money at Nvidia and then next year throw 50% more money at Nvidia and so on and so on.

I can see by 2020 a 4080 Ti costing close to £2000 and the sad thing is people will still throw money at Nvidia.

Back
Top Bottom