Post your FTTC line stats & unlocking info

Associate
Estimated 12, 1060m of wet string (Alli) , estimates are estimates, could be higher or lower

True, but in most cases it's always higher. You get much higher, I get much lower. 8 meg is a big difference and is actually higher than what I was getting on ADSL2. BT are doing tests on the line anyway, I think it's a HR fault or even a possible REIN fault. I am at the stage now where the REIN team is required, everything else has been done. Obviously replacing the Alli with Copper is a no go, but maybe there's something else that can be done...

Associate
Does anyone know if the sync speed identifies a certain profile?

Modem
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 39996 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 1999 kbps

Im on sky fibre and i was sync'd at 3997 / 1999, I accidently unplugged the modem while moving it then again when trying twall mount it......

I had it installed on the 2nd March and notice the modem getting HOT. As such I have now stood it up. I have not hacked the router as im still in 10 days.

Would the router getting too hot cause problems with the line?? M y ping on install was 10ms, 2 days in and the 3rd day the ping went up to 19ms :(

Not massive I know but was hoping it would stick at 10ms :(

When the engineer was here he said my line would support 45mb down and 7.5mb up.

Last edited:
Associate
I've tried standing the router with the power supply st the top to see if it makes a difference. Standing it up the other way, the modem rj11 was at the top and it was all getting hot.

Not sure where the chipset is to keep coolest.

I'll leave it and see if it will go.down.

I was also told by.the bto engineer that dlm is always on in fiber

Associate
Just been looking at some old posts I did on the TT Fourms, this was my speed, attenuation and noise margin on ADSL2+

Connection Speed 10063 kbps 1019 kbps
Line Attenuation 36.5 db 17.9 db
Noise Margin 6.3 db 9.2 db

And since on fibre,

Line Attenuation(dB): 4.4 46.7 62.4 N/A 20.4 58.4 0.1

Signal Attenuation(dB): 4.3 46.6 N/A N/A 20.4 58.2 N/A

SNR Margin(dB): 18.4 15.4 N/A N/A 5.8 5.9 N/A

Has my attenuation increased? or is it just me?

Soldato
OP
Hmmm on ADSL you had a 2200 meter line at a gues and the speed isn't to bad, certainty not ALU buy the looks of it, or you could be just unlucky in having a alu D-side and copper E-side.

What I would do is unplug the modem and tell your ISP it's not syncing at all, then get the nice BT man to try a different pair.

Associate
Sorry what do you mean by different pair? And has my attenuation increased or is my new value 4.4 and 20.4?

Thanks Locky!

I assume a different pair would be the cabling going to the cab?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The E-side pair is the one from the Exchange to the CAB.

The D-side pair is one from the CAB to your house.

It's the D-side that is causing you problems here.

I had a poor D-side when I first got FTTC, my estate is a few years old on .5cu copper and 300 meter D-side, I was getting 25mbit, after doing what I told you do and much whining they did a "lift & shift" since then it's been perfect with a 95mbit attainable rate.

Associate
Ok I see, I have already had a "Lift & Shift" Things have actually got worse since then, I have had the drop cable replaced, new modem, new NTE5 and they also replaced some more cabling somewhere, but 10 minutes ago I got a phone call from TT, they have asked for some appointment times again, they said they think they know where the problem is. I personally think it's a HR fault, but we will see, I'll post back in within 72 hours.

Associate
So the engineer has been and put me on a different pair, I can see my max speed has increased, my attenuation has decreased and my snr margin has gone from 5.8 to 7.5! But strangely he didn't reset my profile, I requested one but he didn't know what I was talking about... So my question is now how long before my profile adjusts automatically if ever? Or should I contact my isp again? Thanks!

Associate
Can you post new stats please?

# xdslcmd info --show
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 6918 Kbps, Downstream rate = 45084 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 2000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 29289 Kbps

Link Power State: L0
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 17a
TPS-TC: PTM Mode
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 7.5 17.8
Attn(dB): 0.0 0.0
Pwr(dBm): 10.6 5.6

Not a massive difference but I was told I'm using 580m on Ali that's been there for 30 years!

I'm happy with the improvement the engineer was very friendly and helpful, I know he did everything he could!

Do you know how long before I see some improvements? I know I'm also still on a Interleaved profile but my ping has also gone from 35 to 25 so that's also good!

Associate
Yeah that's what I thought, I believe they have capped my profile? I've been asked to test 80/20 with my ISP should go live on the 23rd so hopefully that will remove any cap that is currently in place... I will not see a big difference in dl but look forward to the extra upload speed as I'm capped at 2 atm!

Soldato
OP
# xdslcmd info --show
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 6918 Kbps, Downstream rate = 45084 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 2000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 29289 Kbps

Link Power State: L0
Mode: VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile: Profile 17a
TPS-TC: PTM Mode
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 7.5 17.8
Attn(dB): 0.0 0.0
Pwr(dBm): 10.6 5.6

Not a massive difference but I was told I'm using 580m on Ali that's been there for 30 years!

I'm happy with the improvement the engineer was very friendly and helpful, I know he did everything he could!

Do you know how long before I see some improvements? I know I'm also still on a Interleaved profile but my ping has also gone from 35 to 25 so that's also good!

You defo need a line reset with that now, I can't see the DLM doing anything for you. kick off about it.

Back
Top Bottom