Project car boot

As promised, the finished article.

A big thank you to all who have supported this build log, in particular Tealc and Waynio who have been of great help to me along the way.

I've really enjoyed this build and I hope it shows you don't need a huge budget or lots of skills to mod. Remember this is the first conventional case I have ever modded, I have no metal working skills, I have no electronics skills, and I have only basic painting skills. All the help you need is available on these forums

Go on, have a go, you know you want to....

From this...

To this...

Very nice, you have much more patience/ability than i do when it comes to cable braiding and tidying, i make a half hearted attempt, and my airflows are usually good, but nothing to the standard you have there.... those SATA cables look fine btw, a good match

How much was your total build cost ?

Looks great all finished at last. Great job G-Dubs.

Now we need some piccies once it gets dark though to see how the lighting works out.

seconded :D ... i want to see how the LED's turned out when in situ, and those cathode tubes too

I have to be honest I have a love hate relationship with cable management.

The main reason it took 2 weekends to finish this off was that I just couldn't get my head round where all the wires were going to go. Remember no cable management holes or cut outs here. Just a bit of space would have been nice.

The non modular PSU didn't make things any easier either!!!

Once I'd worked out which order the wiring needed to be attached in it was then just a matter of sitting down and getting on with it.

Wish I'd taken a few pics of it when it was half way through. It really was a vipers nest. Obviously the wires are hidden away. might take a few piccys of where they're all stashed but then that would spoil the effect.

Cost wise I do intend to sit down and work it all out.

I've used a lot of recycled parts (carboot, stuff I had lying around) and a few new parts (fan controller, 1TB HDD drive) which I added to enhance the build so may well do a breakdown showing both sets of costs.

Fantastic built, I wish I had kit, skill and patience that you do!

Love the idea for securing the HDD, thats insipred.

Fantastic work, awesome to see it finished :)

Got it fired up and tried to clock it yet?

As said by a few others its nice seeing so much time and effort being put into a budget build. The care and attention to detail really shines through.

Ive got a feeling that after this you will start itching to do something even more ambitious :)

Cheers pipelough.

having problems getting it to post at present. either that or it's posting and i'm just not getting a picture. All worked ok when taken apart but that was a fair few months ago so may well have either not got a connection right or somethings funamentaly borket.

lights come on fans run, HDD spins up, but monitor not registering input. attached buzzer doesnot beep but then it didn't when it worked ok.

CPU has not been out, ram has not been out. GPU has been out, but is one of the only new parts in the build.

Not too worried as I did it for the case really, (the hardware as you know is what came in the case at £5 from the carboot) but would have been nice if it worked. I'm sure it'll all come good, and it's not as if you don't tget this sort of thing with new hardware.

Suggestions on a postcard....

Really nicely done G-Dubs, love the bungie hdd mount & the from this to this picture :D, awesome.
Yes night shots too :).
About the board or video not posting, I've had that before, ended up needing to get a new motherboard, good thing it was a fiver :D, someone else might be able to help on that though, the psu is probably fine, could be any of the components or even a wire.
You've added some nice new skills to your modding arsenel woo hoo :D.

dam, hope you manage to get it posting ok eventually, you said soemthing about the only new component being the GPU, i assume you went back to what you tested it with initially ?

Also, i'm assuming you tested it with only the one HDD last time, re-create that setup scenario and try again, i've seen strange issues in the past with residual installs being left on HDD's causing them to lock at boot when used together

Have managed to souce a second hand mobo from the MM.

Actually a mobo,cpu and RAM bundle. (AMD set up).

couldn't find the mobo I wanted for the intel at a good price but figure I'll hang onto the othe CPU and keep my eyes open for an intel board and can always use it in another build.

Got a few days off so if it gets here quickish I should get it all in and working.

Back
Top Bottom