Project - MAN CAVE !

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the tips :) - Did see about using a roller, which makes sense really :) - Will I need to prime it with anything or after i've cleaned/hovered/washed, should I just be able to use floor paint straight onto it?

Soldato
should not need primer but may need a few coats to get a good even cover. I would also make sure any tins you buy are from the same batch (check the batch numbers) or else you could be getting slightly different colours of paint.

Soldato
OP
Excellent, sound advice, and something I certainly wouldn't of thought of! - I'll be getting the paint for the walls/floor on Sunday.

I was thinking about having a warm colour for the walls... the missus calls it "Vanilla" or "Eggshell" .... that's just slightly darker magnolia, right?

Madness if you ask me! - Looking forward to pickng up the Hockey/Pool table tomorrow!

Soldato
dont go to dark on the walls or it will make the room feel very small (even though its a large space. Dark floor+Dark walls = Fail!

Soldato
OP
Indeedy - Especially as the bar is quite dark. Which reminds me, really need to get the trimming finished off, didn't like the original stuff I brought for it.

The walls will be decked in all manner man things! NFL merchandise, Projector screen, dart board, blackboard blah blah... so the colour isn't really important, so long as its light and not vivid pink, all should be well!

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
I'll also add this....

I've just purchased a huge roll of CAT6 cable to run from the house to said man-cave, as I believe WiFi is inferior! :D Will have a switch on the end so multiple devices can be plugged in.

It would be rude not to have a PC jukebox as well as a projector down there :)

Collecting paint and the bar trim on Sunday (once I've decided which one I'm going for!)

Soldato
I'll also add this....

I've just purchased a huge roll of CAT6 cable to run from the house to said man-cave, as I believe WiFi is inferior! :D Will have a switch on the end so multiple devices can be plugged in.

Run it underground/get it insulated!

The Power to man cave and house being on separate supplies (?) might mean you need to earth things differently! (I'm no sparky, just something to be aware of! You don't wanna blow switches/equipment)

Soldato
OP
Run it underground/get it insulated!

The Power to man cave and house being on separate supplies (?) might mean you need to earth things differently! (I'm no sparky, just something to be aware of! You don't wanna blow switches/equipment)

Yes they are on different supplies!

I'll look into it, thankfully my cousin is our family sparky, (a real one too) so I'll see what he thinks!

Soldato
OP
haha :) I'm still thinking about it, its quite nice because you can hardly hear them from outside when they are being played! - They just take up a lot of room, and not sure if its 'too much' yet!

Got the pool table yesterday, and as soon as I got it in there, before I could set it up the dog ran in and got her wet paws on it! grrr! its a good job I love her!

Off out to get paint for the walls/floor and the trim for the bar later today. Will also finish the pool table off and hopefully get some pictures up on here!

Soldato
OP
So heres the Hockey / Pool Tables. quite nifty how it flips over, and I must say its very stable, which is nice :)

The pool table side needs a good clean before Its used, and will obviously need levelling etc...

Had a quick blast on it last night and I must say, its so much fun :)

Even been given permission in a year or so time, to buy a dedicated air hockey table :D woop!

Also picked up the colour for the walls, which will be "Cappuccino" .... which to normal people, is a very light brown/cream colour ;)

Couldn't get hold of any floor paint that I liked the look of so will possible order from the internet.

Oh... and I finally got the trim for the bar! Went for a hockey moulding in the end so not to lose much bar top space, whilst still covering the edge completely. Looks like a perfect fit, just gotta attach it and varnish :)

Soldato
Don't do magnolia walls everywhere like my mrs! The whole house is now magnolia, it's too bright! :rolleyes::eek:

Our lounge used to be 'malt chocolate' which looked dark on the tin, but on the walls was fine! So just remember large expanses of wall in a light colour will make things very bright under good lighting!

Soldato
OP
I was worried about it being too bright as well, at the same time, the floor will be quite dark so I didn't want it to look really grim in there!....

I've done a little tester and it certainly isn't magnolia. I'm quite pleased with it actually, its a much warmer colour. It lives up to its name at least - cappuccino!

We'll see how it is once a whole wall is covered. Should be starting it this weekend!

I know what you mean about magnolia though, my missus is the same. First thing we did when we moved in was plaster magnolia on the hall stairs and landing ...(and build a bar) :D

Soldato
I know what you mean about magnolia though, my missus is the same. First thing we did when we moved in was plaster magnolia on the hall stairs and landing ...(and build a bar) :D

Tell me about it... moved into our new place last May... Since then every room has been repainted to magnolia! (thankfully bought a big batch of cans on a B&Q '3 for 2' offer!). She also seems to have used it as an excuse to buy lamps for nearly every room to tone it down?! :rolleyes::p

Pinball Machine and Video Cabinet required to truly make this a 'Man Cave'.

What he said! ;)

Back
Top Bottom