***Quest Pro Owners Club***

Hi Guys, Long term silent member looking for some advice.

Im now tempted to upgrade my old Rift CV1 headset to the newer and now cheaper Quest Pro. Can i ask some advice please?

My current spec of pc is an AMD 1800x, 16G ram, 1080TI GPU. If i get the pro will i see an improvement without upgrading my pc? in other words is the hardware a big upgrade or is my system holding any noticeable improvements back. I will be going for an AMD 5800X3D cpu and maybe a 4800/4900/7900xtx Gpu very soon but i would like to get the pro first and try it out.

I also don't really understand the link cable thing either, does the pro come with a cable to use from the pc for wired connections or is it an optional extra? M GPU doesn't have USB, but my mobo does have a Type C on the back. Will this be ok to use?

I take it that to run the pro stand alone i cant use any steam games only the ones on my current oculus account? To do this i need to be using the airlink with my PC switched on?

Any comment much appreciated

Drew

Hi Guys, Long term silent member looking for some advice.

Im now tempted to upgrade my old Rift CV1 headset to the newer and now cheaper Quest Pro. Can i ask some advice please?

My current spec of pc is an AMD 1800x, 16G ram, 1080TI GPU. If i get the pro will i see an improvement without upgrading my pc? in other words is the hardware a big upgrade or is my system holding any noticeable improvements back. I will be going for an AMD 5800X3D cpu and maybe a 4800/4900/7900xtx Gpu very soon but i would like to get the pro first and try it out.

I also don't really understand the link cable thing either, does the pro come with a cable to use from the pc for wired connections or is it an optional extra? M GPU doesn't have USB, but my mobo does have a Type C on the back. Will this be ok to use?

I take it that to run the pro stand alone i cant use any steam games only the ones on my current oculus account? To do this i need to be using the airlink with my PC switched on?

Any comment much appreciated

Drew
your current pc will not do the QP any justice at all with pcvr games. standalone games won't be effected by your pc and you can run them with the pc off.

Anyone gone from a G2 to Quest Pro?

Was it worth it.. Is the lower Res noticeable

From what I've read, the G2 is slightly sharper in the centre of the image. However the Quest Pro is sharp from edge to edge, while the G2 has a relatively small sweet spot. It looks WAY sharper than you might expect from the resolution specs. One bonus is because it's lower resolution it's easier on the GPU (though it has some encoding overhead). The reprojection system it has also works better than other systems. You can also use it wireless.

This explains it pretty well.

Last edited:
There's basically no difference between the minimum PC specs needed to do PC VR on the Quest 2 or Quest Pro. However the better your GPU the better results you will get. To max it out at 1.7 (the highest quality in the Meta desktop app) on demanding games you need a 3090 or higher.

That said, you don't need to max it out to get a much better image quality than a Quest 2 can give due to the panels and lenses.

Last edited:
Let me just put this in perspective. I've just packed up my Quest Pro to get a replacement as it had a couple of minor faults (speaker hiss and slightly dodgy tracking of the left eye - I paid full price, so I expect it to be perfect :D ), and I've gone back to my Quest 2 to try to get some saves transferred over.

On trying the Quest 2 after playing nothing but the Pro for weeks I was struck by how blurry the lenses were, especially at the edges, there's horrible godrays and glare - I can see the fresnel rings, the picture is soft and the colours washed out with grey blacks. The FOV felt tiny and restrictive, and having the headset clamped to my face felt claustrophobic.

I used to think the Quest 2 looked amazing, now I think it looks and feels primitive by comparison to the Pro.

Last edited:
Let me just put this in perspective. I've just packed up my Quest Pro to get a replacement as it had a couple of minor faults (speaker hiss and slightly dodgy tracking of the left eye - I paid full price, so I expect it to be perfect :D ), and I've gone back to my Quest 2 to try to get some saves transferred over.

On trying the Quest 2 after playing nothing but the Pro for weeks I was struck by how blurry the lenses were, especially at the edges, there's horrible godrays and glare - I can see the fresnel rings, the picture is soft and the colours washed out with grey blacks. The FOV felt tiny and restrictive, and having the headset clamped to my face felt claustrophobic.

I used to think the Quest 2 looked amazing, now I think it looks and feels primitive by comparison to the Pro.
Like Broadband.. You dont really notice the speed increase, But by god you notice it on the way back down

Though in this case you do notice the difference, and it's significant, but going back is even worse. More like going from DVD on an old TN LCD to 4K HD HDR.

Well picked up my pro this afternoon, nice bit of kit but as always not having much luck setting it up.

First off i got my Rift and PC switched on, to update the oculus program to a meta account. I haven't used the rift for the last 9 months or so. This worked fine.

Switched on the Pro and as prompted to download the mobile app and log into the newly created meta account. This worked fine, headset is nice and clear and I love the passthrough. But...

I cant get the airlink to work, it sees my PC but wont pair after clicking on it. Tried added the headset to the pc oculus program but again nothing works. To frustrate me more the link cable i bought doesn't seem to plug into the back usb Type C port on my PC a crosshair 6 hero mobo. I will have to see if the i/o board is fouling the connection at the weekend as a spare USB C lead i have doesn't feel right. The lead seems to click into the headset on each end so its the pc that's the issue.

Have i missed anything on the mobile app or PC to get the airlink working?

Cheers
Drew

Well picked up my pro this afternoon, nice bit of kit but as always not having much luck setting it up.

First off i got my Rift and PC switched on, to update the oculus program to a meta account. I haven't used the rift for the last 9 months or so. This worked fine.

Switched on the Pro and as prompted to download the mobile app and log into the newly created meta account. This worked fine, headset is nice and clear and I love the passthrough. But...

I cant get the airlink to work, it sees my PC but wont pair after clicking on it. Tried added the headset to the pc oculus program but again nothing works. To frustrate me more the link cable i bought doesn't seem to plug into the back usb Type C port on my PC a crosshair 6 hero mobo. I will have to see if the i/o board is fouling the connection at the weekend as a spare USB C lead i have doesn't feel right. The lead seems to click into the headset on each end so its the pc that's the issue.

Cheers
Drew

You could always give Virtual Desktop a go instead of Airlink.

Cheers
Drew

Try turning DFS channels off on your router. Also make sure you have a separate 5ghz channel for your Quest Pro to use.

Some routers combine the 2.4 and 5ghz signals onto one network ID and that won't work for Airlink.

There is a diagnostic for Airlink in the headset settings menu which will tell you if your wireless connection is good enough.

Last edited:
I am getting more and more tempted to nab a pro now. a decent PCVR headset but with my quest library access as well.
(aside from the price) the only thing really holding me back is the quest 3. on one hand I think the quest pro will be a much better PCVR headset than Q3.
OTOH I believe the rumoured chip in the Q3 will be a fair jump in performance over the quest pro.

sensible head on I should wait till Xmas and see what deals are on........ but after a few beers I am not feeling so sensible.

I am getting more and more tempted to nab a pro now. a decent PCVR headset but with my quest library access as well.
(aside from the price) the only thing really holding me back is the quest 3. on one hand I think the quest pro will be a much better PCVR headset than Q3.
OTOH I believe the rumoured chip in the Q3 will be a fair jump in performance over the quest pro.

sensible head on I should wait till Xmas and see what deals are on........ but after a few beers I am not feeling so sensible.

That's my dilemma too!! All that's stopping me from buying the Pro right now is that it's just beyond my budget. If I had the money I would have caved when the price dropped this month.

Back
Top Bottom