***Quest Pro Owners Club***

This confirms it: you can drop the power limit to 80% and it's the same wattage as the 3090 and you lose only 2-3% performance. Dropping it to 70% and it's even better and you only lose 5% performance.

I reckon I could get one if I did that. Now how to tell the wife...

If I could sell my Index that'd help but no-one is biting.

Last edited:
Funnily enough the wife hasn't said 'no'! I can easily sell my 3090FE for £700 to a colleague. I think that's about the going rate.

I really could do with that extra oomph for the more demanding VR games.

Just a little update from me.

Got my 4900 and 5800x3D installed on the computer, which was nerve racking as i dont upgrade often. The 4900 is not on my water loop at the moment but will add it in soon.

Went straight into PC2 and whacked all the settings up to max, it ran nice and smooth without dropping any frames from the Virtual desktop HUD. Really impressed.

But as always i have more questions. When i use virtual desktop even with my link cable attached its noted im on a 400MBs 5.8ghz network? like its using the airlink. If i quit VD on my PC and open up the oculus app and do a cable test it shows a speed of 1200MBs.
So is VD using my wired connection or not?

Either way im happy i did my 7 year upgrade, just a very expensive month.

Cheers

Last edited:
I don't think VD uses the cable. For wired link use the built in link feature. Then use Oculus Debug Tool to change the encode resolution width to 3600, Mobile ASW off, Distortion Curvature Low, and Encode Bitrate to 500 and enjoy incredible sharpness and clarity.

Also VD is limited to 150mbps, while Airlink can go up to 200. I personally find Airlink sharper, with less latency and less compression than VD.

I don't think VD uses the cable. For wired link use the built in link feature. Then use Oculus Debug Tool to change the encode resolution width to 3600, Mobile ASW off, Distortion Curvature Low, and Encode Bitrate to 500 and enjoy incredible sharpness and clarity.

Also VD is limited to 150mbps, while Airlink can go up to 200. I personally find Airlink sharper, with less latency and less compression than VD.
Cheers Ravanger, just did this and its eliminated the few stutters i was getting in PC2 which must have been wireless related.

But crashed out of a game when my headset battery went (very quickly after the warning). Must keep it fully charged before racing.

Last edited:
I
Cheers Ravanger, just did this and its eliminated the few stutters i was getting in PC2 which must have been wireless related.

But crashed out of a game when my headset battery went (very quickly after the warning). Must keep it fully charged before racing.

Make sure you turn off face and eye tracking as that can give at least half an hour extra battery life.

Once the battery had 'worn in' a bit on my Pro it lasted for at least 2.5 hours. I bought a powered link cable which could extend that for many more hours than I could wear the headset for.

I

Make sure you turn off face and eye tracking as that can give at least half an hour extra battery life.

Once the battery had 'worn in' a bit on my Pro it lasted for at least 2.5 hours. I bought a powered link cable which could extend that for many more hours than I could wear the headset for.
Didn't think of doing that, thanks.

My 4090 generated some heat during my gaming, got to get a water block for it ASAP. Good news its not noisy.

Local dimming enabled for PCVR in version 51, which is on the public test channel.

Just gave this a quick try this morning, and it's in and working, and looks great! It's almost OLED quality, but without the downsides. You do get some blooming around bright objects, but that doesn't bother me.

Wow!

I might actually be able to enjoy Saints and Sinners as it'll be properly dark.

OK, I've spent a couple of hours trying games with Local Dimming and on the whole it's an amazing improvement.

It does work better for some games than others. Blooming can be an issue, making it seem like the lit part of the image is washed out slightly, though I imagine tweaking the brightness and constrast would help.

Standouts are Elite Dangerous, where the cockpit when not lit goes almost completely black, and space looks noticably darker, Cosmodread, where anything outside of the flashlight looks pretty dark, The Blu, where the abyss section was pitch black until the bioluminescent creatures came out to play, and Skybox VR movie player, and the movies looked amazing with darker blacks and higher contrast.

Also with the dimming you get almost OLED levels of contrast which makes brightly lit logos and light sources blinding in places.

Ravenger really needs to get a job in the Quest Pro sales department :)

The Pro seems to be getting better and better with every update. Trying to be strong and hold out for the Quest 3, but, it's getting harder to resist when I am listening to Ravenger and Mr.Cookie wax lyrical about their Pro's every gaming session!!

Ravenger really needs to get a job in the Quest Pro sales department :)

The Pro seems to be getting better and better with every update. Trying to be strong and hold out for the Quest 3, but, it's getting harder to resist when I am listening to Ravenger and Mr.Cookie wax lyrical about their Pro's every gaming session!!

I don't often get so evangelical about a piece of hardware. I've had a lots of WOW moments in VR - trying a DK1, using the Touch Controllers on a CV1 for the first time, using the Index and controllers, and playing Quest wirelessly in huge playspaces, but the Pro's PCVR clarity is probably the biggest WOW moment since I first tried proper VR in the CV1.

I think it's as a result of the device being so badly misrepresented, the initial high price, and of course the marketing and out-of-the-box support for its features being lacking, which is now changing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom