***Quest Pro Owners Club***

Yep, biggest issue is we just don't know enough about the Quest 3 to tell how much better or worse it will be than the Pro. My guess is faster, but worse in some other areas.

Let me just put this in perspective. I've just packed up my Quest Pro to get a replacement as it had a couple of minor faults (speaker hiss and slightly dodgy tracking of the left eye - I paid full price, so I expect it to be perfect :D ), and I've gone back to my Quest 2 to try to get some saves transferred over.

On trying the Quest 2 after playing nothing but the Pro for weeks I was struck by how blurry the lenses were, especially at the edges, there's horrible godrays and glare - I can see the fresnel rings, the picture is soft and the colours washed out with grey blacks. The FOV felt tiny and restrictive, and having the headset clamped to my face felt claustrophobic.

I used to think the Quest 2 looked amazing, now I think it looks and feels primitive by comparison to the Pro.
I had to get my Quest 2 replaced because of dead or stuck pixe on left lens, but the replacement display didn't seem right compared to old, too bright, even when I turned down brightness, Luckily an online search told me about the contrast slider hidden away in the accessibility in settings, there is a colour correction there as well. So a little bit of contrast and everything is fine now.

The old eyes are aren't that great so maybe that was the cause, don't know why the contrast is hidden away there in accessibility anyways, you would think its a pretty standard setting that should simply be in the display in settings.

Last edited:
Funnily enough after playing my Quest 2 a lot over the weekend (The Light Brigade is very addictive) I realised the Quest 2 display being a bit softer works well for standalone games, as the Quest Pro is so sharp it shows up when games are subsampling or using Fixed Foveated Rendering, and they look blockier.
I sure do miss the FOV though the incredibly sharp PCVR, and the ringless Pro controllers. It's going to be interesting to go back to the Pro when my replacement arrives.

Last edited:
Cheers for the help lads.

Got my pro working with my PC, the link cable wasn't fully seating into the usb port on my mobo. I also bought Virtual desktop as recommended here, that works great wirelessly.

Now im looking at the 5800X3D, PSU and a new GPU for my long overdue upgrades. Not sure what GPU to get as anything is going to be an improvement over my 1080TI. Is it 4090 or will the lower versions still worth it?

The great thing with not upgrading my headset in steps, is when you do its a huge step. The crispness from the pro and lack of god rays is huge from my old rift CV1, very impressed.
cheers

To do the Quest Pro justice youi need a meaty GPU, and preferably an Nvidia one as the viideo encoding is much better.

Minimum for really good results would be a 3080, but even then you're not going to run all VR games maxed out. Only the 4090 seems able to max out most games, and even then some VR games never run that well due to bad optimisation.

Last edited:
I sent my Pro back to Meta for replacement as it had a couple of faults - speaker hiss and the eye blink detection seemed off for one eye.
I really didn't want to send it back as I really enjoy using this headset, but I paid full price so I wanted to at least try to see if the new one didn't have those issues.

Just had notification that the brand new replacement is on its way. Fingers crossed!

I shall be back officially in the Quest Pro owners club soon.

To do the Quest Pro justice youi need a meaty GPU, and preferably an Nvidia one as the viideo encoding is much better.

Minimum for really good results would be a 3080, but even then you're not going to run all VR games maxed out. Only the 4090 seems able to max out most games, and even then some VR games never run that well due to bad optimisation.
Yeah i thought so much, well after some Dutch courage and permission from her indoors to spend my money whilst I can. I have ordered a new psu, 4090 and 5800x3D from here. I went with a PNY 4090 after looking at the sizes that might fit my computer case as it was the smallest and there are no FE cards in stock. My aim will be to watercool the 4090 at some point as my current 1080ti is on water, but i just want to stretch the pro as far as i can at the moment and i dont mind any fan noise.

Yeah i thought so much, well after some Dutch courage and permission from her indoors to spend my money whilst I can. I have ordered a new psu, 4090 and 5800x3D from here. I went with a PNY 4090 after looking at the sizes that might fit my computer case as it was the smallest and there are no FE cards in stock. My aim will be to watercool the 4090 at some point as my current 1080ti is on water, but i just want to stretch the pro as far as i can at the moment and i dont mind any fan noise.

Having very recently built a new PC around a RTX4090 (a Gigabyte one for me), it really is staggering how physically big and weighty these card have become. Also, how comparatively small the actual PCB is inside - the rest of it is all heatpipes, cooling fins and fans!

does a 3090 really not cut it for the quest pro? i guess i was hoping it would be ok, given it is what i use with my reverb G2.... .and i was hoping foveated rendering would decrease the gpu requirements for the pro, not have them higher still

A 3090 is very good for VR in general, but it can struggle running a few games maxed out that are particually stressful, for example MS Flight Sim, or No Man's Sky.

The 4090 is on a whole different level apparently.

Foveated Rendering might make some difference but compatibility isn't 100% and the performance gains aren't as high as first hoped.

Still, A 3090 is a very capable card and runs the Quest Pro at high resolution very well.

The replacement headset seems better. Still very faint speaker hiss, but this time there's no distortion to accompany it. The face tracking works much better though, so that's great.

Annoyingly I can't get it to connect via airlink. It just doesn't see the PC. I'll have a longer go at trying to get it to work tomorrow.

Airlink paired properly this evening. Possibly just needed a reboot of PC and headset.

Definitely still has a speaker hiss, but not as annoying as before. The eye blink detection works better without my prescription lenses attached but seems to work better than before anyway. I'll keep the lenses on, partly for convenience, but also because they protect the actual lenses from scratches and dirt.

I bought some Aukoy grips for the controllers and they're not bad. Feel fairly close to index controllers now. Nice not to have the old wrist straps attached.

Just played the first part of HL Episode 1 over Airlink and it's incredible. Feels like a native VR game and the GPU is almost idling. Might have to look up some graphic mods.

Funnily enough since I reinstalled the new Pro for PCVR in the Meta Desktop App, the app is maxing out the resolution slider at 1.4 rather than 1.7 which is really weird. What's weirder is the actual resolution shown is actually the same as if it were set at 1.7! :confused:

I'm getting some extra performance issues in games like No Mans Sky (which never performed well anyway) and Skyrim VR, so maybe the desktop app needs re-installing. I think it's got a bit confused!

On the plus side I seem to have £50 store credit! Possibly partial compensation for the price drop.

I really want a 4090 to replace my 3090 for use with the Pro, but I'd also have to get a new PSU too which increases the hassle and cost.

Yep, I was kicking myself as I bought an 850w when I got my 3080Ti. I said at the time maybe I should go 1000w but decided not to.

Whilst an 850 would have probably been ok, some sites were saying not to risk it, so I ended up getting a 1000w which added to the already high cost.

Oh well, we only live once :D

Tell you what though, was worth every damn penny! It's so much better now.

Last edited:
Yep, I was kicking myself as I bought an 850w when I got my 3080Ti. I said at the time maybe I should go 1000w but decided not to.

Whilst an 850 would have probably been ok, some sites were saying not to risk it, so I ended up getting a 1000w which added to the already high cost.

Oh well, we only live once :D

Tell you what though, was worth every damn penny! It's so much better now.
my Antec 850 gold is fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom