***Quest Pro Owners Club***

The Q3 passthrough is better than the Pro's, mainly due to the full colour rather than colourised image. But it's actually not as big as an improvement as you might think. It's still massively grainy and you can't read text on phones or monitors as well as had been claimed.

A lot of Q3 owners are pretty disappointed with it as it was oversold in terms of its quality

Depends on the lighting. In good lighting, I can read text on my phone easily.
Agreed, I 1st tried reading text from my phone in my bedroom at night where the light isn't good and the text appeared blurry. I then tried in my conservatory in daytime where there's a lot of natural light and it was much improved, I could easily type a text for example. These youtuber influencers claiming it was amazing are of course exaggerating as they always do but i bet with the lighting they use the passthrough was pretty decent.

Last edited:
The Q3 passthrough is better than the Pro's, mainly due to the full colour rather than colourised image. But it's actually not as big as an improvement as you might think. It's still massively grainy and you can't read text on phones or monitors as well as had been claimed.

A lot of Q3 owners are pretty disappointed with it as it was oversold in terms of its quality

Sorry Rav, it's far better than the Quest Pro's passthrough. Any of the through the lens comparisons show that. And I would be shocked if that difference doesn't grow as the Quest 3 gets further updates.

I can read phone text just fine and haven't had to take my Quest 3 off to use the computer at any stage. It all depends on the light in your room.

And I have seen a few of those complaints on reddit. There are quite a few of them putting up pictures of very dark rooms wondering why the passthrough isn't as good as the videos!! Including one gem of a poster saying that he liked to watch movies in the dark and wondered why his passthrough was so black. :cry:

Sorry Rav, it's far better than the Quest Pro's passthrough. Any of the through the lens comparisons show that. And I would be shocked if that difference doesn't grow as the Quest 3 gets further updates.

I can read phone text just fine and haven't had to take my Quest 3 off to use the computer at any stage. It all depends on the light in your room.

And I have seen a few of those complaints on reddit. There are quite a few of them putting up pictures of very dark rooms wondering why the passthrough isn't as good as the videos!! Including one gem of a poster saying that he liked to watch movies in the dark and wondered why his passthrough was so black. :cry:

Yeah I know it's better than the Pro's. It's also mode stable with less warping. It's just not as amazing as it was made out to be in some reviews. I really think some people were expecting Apple Vision Pro levels, and the videos like on the Pro were far better quality than what you actually saw in the headset.

The biggest plus is the depth sensor which still rankles me that it was removed from the Pro. It's just too much of a faff to setup a room for MR without it, and a lot of the advanced occlusion features that are coming won't work without it.

What little bit of MR I have done in the Pro was quite enjoyable but it's not my primary use case.

There is one way the Pro's MR is better in that it has the open face plate which means you can see your real arms and hands in your peripheral vision and they seamlessly blend into the MR view and grounds the MR into the real world better. It also makes the FOV seem really wide. However I think we'll get some Q3 halo straps that do this at some point anyway.

V59 PTC just dropped and it seems to have improved passthrough (brighter, more colourful and less colour artefacts - though still grainy and low res), faster hand tracking, and a button to switch between 'immersive' (i.e. VR) and 'passthrough' for the home, with a nice transition between the two.

I'd be interested in hearing if other people think the passthrough is improved or not.

Hi
i do not think this is a quest pro issue, more a quest in general issue but i will start here.

i want to drag some movies onto my quest pro to save streaming from pc. i have the cable, its connected fine (oculus link works) however on plugging into the pc i cant see my quest as a storage medium.
it is connected and windows can see it in devices and printers under unspecified.... it all works fine but i cannot access the storage on my pc.

in the quest itsself i have read go to settings, developer mode and there should be a usb tab there, however there isnt, there is only guardian settings and hand tracking settings.

please help. this surely should be easy?
thanks

Hi
i do not think this is a quest pro issue, more a quest in general issue but i will start here.

i want to drag some movies onto my quest pro to save streaming from pc. i have the cable, its connected fine (oculus link works) however on plugging into the pc i cant see my quest as a storage medium.
it is connected and windows can see it in devices and printers under unspecified.... it all works fine but i cannot access the storage on my pc.

in the quest itsself i have read go to settings, developer mode and there should be a usb tab there, however there isnt, there is only guardian settings and hand tracking settings.

please help. this surely should be easy?
thanks

Have you tried using SideQuest?

Have you tried using SideQuest?
so my developers account got closed a while back now due to me not supplying proof i was a developer (i did have the account for 12 months or so) so i assume i am locked out of sidequest now. (i did a quick look and i guess i could try to reregister for a developer account.............. however for something so simple as being able to plug in my headset and drag films over to it, it seems a faff.

thanks for the idea however.

so my developers account got closed a while back now due to me not supplying proof i was a developer (i did have the account for 12 months or so) so i assume i am locked out of sidequest now. (i did a quick look and i guess i could try to reregister for a developer account.............. however for something so simple as being able to plug in my headset and drag films over to it, it seems a faff.

thanks for the idea however.

Weird. I've had a developers account for 3 years and have done no developing without ever being asked for any evidence.

The Globular Cluster comfort kit arrived for my Pro yesterday.
It replaces both the front and back pads and has an optional top strap.

Two types of pads are supplied, PU (similar to the standard ones, but larger and more padded) and cloth which feels very close to the Valve Index facial interface. These are attached with Velcro to plastic mounts so it's easy to swap them out. You also get a rubber cover for the rear pad with additional grip (for sports use possibly?), and an extra padded top strap.

It was a big faff getting the front pad to clip on, but eventually I managed it. The rear pad was easy by comparison.

I'm not convinced if the front pad is more comfy or not yet - possibly like the original it'll take time to bed in, but the top strap and larger rear pad make a big difference to the feel of the headset. It's just more secure and feels very like my Q2 with battery strap but without the pressure on my face.
I have the Studioform Creative top strap and that sort of worked but it moved are around and I had to keep adjusting it and the headset. Now the headset just stays where it is without undue forehead pressure.

We'll see how it goes. It's still not as comfy as my Index but way more than it was before without any mods.

Also it still charges on the dock and still fits in my carry case, which is nice.

Last edited:
Another option, total cost £11:

SmNHNKy.jpg

Quest Pro getting some love in V60. Mixed reality performance has been increased:

"Compared to v59 and before, Meta says Quest Pro owners should see an up to 34% increase in CPU performance and up to 19% increase in GPU performance in mixed reality experiences."

With Steam Link supporting eye tracked foveated encoding, it's nice to see Quest Pro being supported.

Also fingers crossed, V60 has fixed my headset crash in passthrough mode.

I can’t say I’ve ever noticed the audio, but that’s mainly because I’ve never used it. I’ve got a cheap USB DAC connected to my PC and a pair of Koss KSC75s for headphones

I used to have distortion and hiss on the audio, but this no longer happens for me. The biggest issue currently is a headset crash that can happen when going into passthrough mode, though it does at least seem less frequent now and just suspending and unsuspending the headset can fix it.

Back
Top Bottom