• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Radeon FURY thread

Caporegime
Will this really be £400 though? Surely that would destroy 390x sales. Who will buy the non ref 390x's for £360 if this is £400.

Soldato
Will this really be £400 though? Surely that would destroy 390x sales. Who will buy the non ref 390x's for £360 if this is £400.

ASUS version is £450. Sapphire should come in closer to £400 (Hopefully).

Tbh these might seem a better bet than the Fury X, similar performance. Less power use. Temps are surprisingly good. 75C. Quiet as well.

Soldato
ASUS version is £450. Sapphire should come in closer to £400 (Hopefully).

Tbh these might seem a better bet than the Fury X, similar performance. Less power use. Temps are surprisingly good. 75C. Quiet as well.

Sapphire Tri-X are the best coolers though so not sure this will be cheaper than the Asus but at £400 this will be the default champ in its bracket, even giving the 980ti a few blows. Some of the tests such as Grid Autosport show both Fury cards behind the 390X which is strange. Driver issue or what?

Soldato
Surely you would go for a 980Ti then for £50 more.

I just don't think there is a price bracket for this.

A reference 980Ti is £50 more but a non-reference will set you back over £530-£600 so not necessarily a clear choice. The Fury cards are much quieter which many might prefer. But I agree it should be around £400 to really take the sales.

Soldato
A reference 980Ti is £50 more but a non-reference will set you back over £530-£600 so not necessarily a clear choice. The Fury cards are much quieter which many might prefer. But I agree it should be around £400 to really take the sales.

I agree at £399 for the Asus and £379 for the Sapphire these would have been hot sellers.

I think the price points they are at are ok for launch, but not great. Going forward with price cuts and bundles etc, I think AMD has a winner here.

I'm still undecided as to what card I want next. This 960 is doing an ok job, well enough for me not to rush straight away.

I really like the ASUS Fury, and I really like the custom 980 Ti's. Just not sure enough on any of them to buy anything just yet lol. If I spot a good deal on any of them I will be persuaded :p

Soldato
No stock. Just one sample which I played with at weekend.
Launch day is either today or 14th, not very clear, we shall wait until 14th as no stock.

But from my testing it was slower than Fury X even when overclocked, overclocking was still very poor like Fury X and as a 980Ti is faster than a Fury X it is even more quicker than Fury.

I expect Fury pricing to be circa £420-£460, but AMD could potentially move price lower, but all will be clearer in a few days. But Fury is 980 competitor, it does not rival 980Ti and does not even come close to the overclocked ones.

If gibbo aint got stock no one has.:o

Soldato
AMD would have been better of ditching all the refreshes and launching this Fury in the 390x slot at a better price, they're making their own cards look a bit still born with this move.

Soldato
No fan boy here but after playing with an 290x for a week it will be a relief to go back to Nvidia.

AMD should stick to being cheap and cheerful when they are so close in performance to the bigger brand and market leader.

Associate
AMD would have been better of ditching all the refreshes and launching this Fury in the 390x slot at a better price, they're making their own cards look a bit still born with this move.

They should have made this the 390x and moved the cards down one in the pecking order, so the current 390X becomes the 380X and 380 becomes 370, etc. Fury Nano could perhaps be R9 385 and the Fury X could just be called the Fury.

That way the 300 series cards would be clear upgrades on their 200 series counterparts.

Caporegime
Pretty unexciting at that price.

Too power hungry, doesn't clock well.

Odd the Fury drawing more than the Fury X...

This is something that I predicted.

The reason Fury X power consumption is relatively constrained compared to Hawaii (but still 40-50w more than 980Ti) is because they keep the chip really cool with the AIO. The cooler the chip the less electron leakage and the less wasted power. Fiji's power consumption goes up a lot as it gets hotter, as does all GPUs.

I'm actually surprised the the power consumption is that low but looking at their reported temperatures in the bit-tech article the case must have very good cooling or the card cooler must be extremely effective.

Caporegime
NVidia will probably just price cut GTX980 to undercut it, GTX980 is a far cheaper card to manufacturer than the Fury ever will be so they have plenty of room to manouvre.

Yep, and t
Nvidia have already enjoyed recording breaking sales withe 980, it was the most successful graphics card launch in their history. The chip is much smaller and the memory much cheaper, lower power and cooling requirement make the 980s much cheaper to produce than the Fury. Nvidia could cut £50 off the 980 and 980Ti to really squeeze AMD. But they will only do that if they think they are loosing sales, and if am not at all convinced AMD's offerings will have a significant effect. We've seen how many people say the FuryX reviews and plumped for a 980Ti instead. AMD likely first needs to cut their prices by £50-75 then nvidia will follow suit.

Soldato
Dag nabbit why didn't ASUS send any samples out for review

Not interested in the Sapphire with the same PCB as FX, Asus would have voltage via GPU Tweak so we could've seen OCing from that.

Back
Top Bottom