• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raptor Lake Leaks + Intel 4 developments

LOL, complain about overpriced motherboards with few extra features. Then go on to mention you're looking at a 13900KS :confused:

As already pointed out though a board offers no extra performance, at least the extra money spent on a KS *might* offer something more be that boost clock or temps, or both even. Lots of people buy 'K' or KS parts who don't want to tweak or overclock etc, they just want OOBE and the fastest you can get.

Last edited:
I did get a Z690 board in the end.
A MSI MEG Unify and some DDR5 6000 ram.

Both cheap deals.

Nice. Yeah 12 & 13th gen and Z690 with DDR4 (or DDR5 for a bit more) are fantastic value. AM5 boards are really expensive in comparison, plus the Zen4 CPU's are also very expensive.

seems like the 13900kf I have can run stock 5.5 all core loads (cb23 30min test) at 1.242vcore so like 80c with a simple 360aio

on default asus strix-a d4 likes to think its ok to use 1.41 vcore into the chip under load which is crazy temps (throttling)

Yeah, half the issue we're seeing as mentioned before are the auto voltages + unlimited power draws. Both play into each other. Thus absurd temps.

My take is it that you're going to be a DIY hobbyist, at the very minimum, you can learn the basics of setting voltage and llc.

Does intel still change sockets every year so you have to buy a new mobo each time you upgrade the CPU?
Two year cycle. Has to be said every time I upgrade (given how long CPUs last) I want a new motherboard with all the new features.

Intel do need to stretch this to 3 years as clearly many others do just update your CPUs throughout the cycle.

Does intel still change sockets every year so you have to buy a new mobo each time you upgrade the CPU?

If you are buying into LGA1700 now then yes, that would apply in this case, as 13th Gen will be the last supported on this socket. If you bought in on 12th Gen then you could do a pointless upgrade to 13th.

Back
Top Bottom