• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raptor Lake Leaks + Intel 4 developments

Installed a Thermal Grizzly contact frame on my 13900k yesterday. Took me 3 tries to get the correct mounting pressure:

1st Try - slightly worse temps than before, not enough contact pressure
2nd Try - tightened further - no POST.
3rd Try - Ever so slightly loosened screws - POST and much improved temps!

Seeing around 5-9C difference in core temps, this is on a Maximus Hero Z690 board. This is also enough to stop thermal throttling when at 5.7 for all Pcore, 4.6Ghz for all E core, while at inaudible pump RPM on a 280mm AIO. In a different ST focused profile I have, this also lets me have no thermal throttling while at 6.1Ghz for 1 P core.

Definitely worth doing - just wish Intel would allow motherboard manufactures to discard the stock ILM and install something similar out of the box, as it's clearly a far superior method.

Installed a Thermal Grizzly contact frame on my 13900k yesterday. Took me 3 tries to get the correct mounting pressure:

1st Try - slightly worse temps than before, not enough contact pressure
2nd Try - tightened further - no POST.
3rd Try - Ever so slightly loosened screws - POST and much improved temps!

Seeing around 5-9C difference in core temps, this is on a Maximus Hero Z690 board. This is also enough to stop thermal throttling when at 5.7 for all Pcore, 4.6Ghz for all E core, while at inaudible pump RPM on a 280mm AIO. In a different ST focused profile I have, this also lets me have no thermal throttling while at 6.1Ghz for 1 P core.

Definitely worth doing - just wish Intel would allow motherboard manufactures to discard the stock ILM and install something similar out of the box, as it's clearly a far superior method.
Can you try it at stock with MCE disabled? What idles and max load temps are you getting? Just want to compare with mine to see if its worthwhile.

What was your stock temps with ILM?

Stock with all limits removed would see most cores in 90' and some reaching 100C in cinebench R23 full load, with "normal" fan/aio pump speed. Running both 100% would stop the throttling but would be insanely loud.

In games at stock with all limits removed, would see the core boosting to 5.8Ghz throttle sometimes, again with fans/pump set to normal levels. Bear in mind this is with a 4090 heating up the case/room.

With the Thermal Grizzly contact frame, I don't see throttling at all, outside of P95/Cinebench all core when heavily overclocking.

Last edited:
Installed my 13900k yesterday :)

All limits removed and everything stock it pulled 315w and jumped straight into the 90s often hitting 100c so was throttling
Enforced all limits in the Asus bios and set a -0.05v offset and now its pulling a max of 253w (as per limit) and only hitting a max of 83c after 2hrs at full load.

Gets a score of 38,809 in Cinebench R23 and that was whilst I was still browsing the net and mucking with my fan curve in the background
Think I have a good balance of performance vs noise sorted with minimal fuss in the bios. I don't have the patients to squeeze every last drop from it. Any further gains would be minimal and take far more effort :)

Oh this is using an mATX build, so all in all I'm happy :D

Looked at this again, tightened up ever so slighty. Results came back a little better than the first run. But i have zero improvement over my standard bracket. I had a feeling mine was fine but i had to mess with it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom