Re-open the separate Linux/Mac forum debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yeah - the split is a net social benefit. It benefits the Linux folk as they don't have a load of Mac HW noise in their space, it benefits the Mac folk as they get a dedicated place to discuss issues surrounding their unique ecosystem. Strong Linux and Mac forums can only be to the greater benefit of OcUK at large... so what are we waiting for?

The forums may not be a democracy but that doesn't mean they are absent of common sense.

Associate
M0KUJ1N said:
TBH tho, there arent enough different configurations of Apple hardware to warrant a separate forum. The main issue is that "hardware" threads such as
this ,this and this are so utterly banal, and pure common-sense that any other (sane) user group would just ignore them.

woah... just read those example threads... who are these MAC people they are freaks!!!

EDIT: *starts to feel like his PC is dirty and gets the urge to clean the dust off*

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
iam said:
It's a joke how decisions like this are taken so seriously by those 'in charge', common sense should prevail, always.

Split it.
If common sense were on tap, this split would have happened a long time ago.

Seeing as pretty much all of the frequent users of this forum have voiced their opinions in this thread, giving some damned good reasons why there should be a split, maybe it will help give some backing to the proposition.

A mail to some relevant mods is in order methinks..

EDIT: email duly sent to Yewen :)

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a shame the two were joined in the first place. It seems many of the regular LOS posters have moved on now so not sure what good splitting the forums would do ...

In all honesty, if you want to talk about Linux you're better off finding a dedicated linux forum with regular posters.

Associate
elite said:
I got a reply from a Mod saying they are fully aware of this thread and its under consideration but they dont want to rust into anything just yet.

great news, at least we know this isn't being ignored :)

its getting a bit OTT now, i just clicked "Linux, OS X & Open Source" and all the way down my screen was threads relating to Macs. It must be getting annoying for Linux and Open Source users to have to tread through all of it every time they want to check out their own discussions.

Associate
MagSafe said:
great news, at least we know this isn't being ignored :)

its getting a bit OTT now, i just clicked "Linux, OS X & Open Source" and all the way down my screen was threads relating to Macs. It must be getting annoying for Linux and Open Source users to have to tread through all of it every time they want to check out their own discussions.

Absolutely, let's hope they make a decision soon eh? The Linux bods must be at the end of their wit. ;)

Man of Honour
Good. Linux users are all dirty, combat trousers and black teeshirt wearing, overweight, bearded geeks, the lot of 'em.

/puts on Steve Jobs like polo shirt and tries to hide Ubuntu install on non Apple box. :p

Soldato
Another vote for a separate mac forum, going to be getting one soon and would be nice to have a dedicated section.

iam

iam

Permabanned
R4z0r said:
It's a shame the two were joined in the first place. It seems many of the regular LOS posters have moved on now so not sure what good splitting the forums would do ...

In all honesty, if you want to talk about Linux you're better off finding a dedicated linux forum with regular posters.

Indeed, loads of great members moved on because they can't be arsed trawling through the mass' of mac and beginners linux questions. I can't see the problem in having lots of sub-sections to enable users that want to talk about the more advanced nix subjects to have their place to do so, and those that need to seek advice to have a dedicated place to do so etc.

Afaik vBB can hide sub-forums so it wouldn't even clutter up the main index.

At the end of the day, why not make the changes, and if it works, keep them, if not, get rid. We're not affecting people's quality of life when making these changes, certainly not something you need to be worried about 'rushing into'...

Ah well, here's hoping :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom