ROG CROSSHAIR VI HERO

Soldato
Hi guys, had a CH6 sitting in a box for a few months waiting for a CPU, just bought a 1700X today, turns up tomorrow.. Whats the best bios for this motherboard and where can i find it? i read some of the Beta BIOS are the best to run? also do i need to download and install the AMD drivers off the AMD site for the chipset etc?
sitting since release-ish you mean? Either stick 1701 or 0052 on a usb stick (preferably with an activity light on it). name the file C6H - stick it in the motherboard usb bios slot (indicated on the back panel) and with power to the motherboard (but not turned on) hit the bios update button.

sit relax. wait and go have a brew and wait for the activity light to stop. i leave it 10 mins just to be sure, then boot up as normal. you have just updated the bios with power off. Safest way if you are on the old first few bioses that could brick the mobo.

beta bios links are on this first page/post by an Asus employee.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread

Do chipset install once everything else has settled down and you can boot into windows and do graphics drivers as well.

Also I guess this should be done when the PC is powered down, while I'm in the UEFI or can this even be done while you are in windows

:) Do it powered down. with the mobo lights on but the pc not turned on. wait for the lights to come back on, then power up as you would normally.

I have managed to get my GSkill GTZ(A) 3600Mhz to run at the stock speeds of 3600 on the latest BIOS.
Well done! that's a lot better than most manage! luck is with you :)

Caporegime
How do you change the multiplier? I have been trying everything but the setting is always greyed out and the only other option I have is the saved 4.0GHz OC profile - which obviously doesn't work.

Soldato
Some people reporting mixed things, Some reporting the ability to finally run memory at max speeds i.e 3600 and other reporting instability, I'll wait for the official release.

Soldato
Flashed my CH6 last night to the new bios before installing windows, obviously ive not used previous bios on this board as its my first Ryzen build, but first off i set the mem to 3400mhz, it wouldnt boot, dropped it to 3333mhz, wouldnt boot, set it to 3200mhz and it booted no problems.

Swapped the Multiplier to 3.8ghz and put the voltage to 1.40 and installed windows and some benchmarks, run Cinebench all seemed fine, upped it to 3.9ghz and dropped Voltage to 1.38 and rebooted, everythings been fine, Run Cinebench and got 1730 i think it was, then proceeded to play a few hours of Grim Dawn and WoW, feels super smooth in both of those.

This morning i dropped the Voltage to 1.37, i will have a good bench of it this weekend, will use the Ryzen mem Calc to see if i can eek more out of my ram and then work on getting the voltage as low and stable as possible and finish up with setting it to do mem test for 400% to make sure its absolutely stable.

Massively impressed with this machine over my 4770k, its night and day how much snappier and fluid it feels, tabbing between stuff is ridiculously fast, it just seems to not be hindered by having half a dozen things going on at once doing stuff my 4770k would start to suffer under.

Soldato
As said, don't bother with 0070.
I would only recommend 0020 if you're having problems with reaching 3200MHz on your RAM. Otherwise, stick with 9920 until a decent AGESA 1.0.7.1 BETA comes along.

Associate
installed 0020. It didn't help get my memory over 2933hz but it has given me a stable overclock at 4Ghz at 1.375v. Will try going lower with it at some point but its under water and never goes above 46c. It's also helped me lower the memory timings a bit.

Back
Top Bottom