• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3090ti RMA'd, B Grade 4070ti offered as a replacement

You entitled to think whatever you like, but after their first offer I am allowed to be sceptical of any other offers they provide me. I not looking for a free upgrade as you imply, I would have loved for them to just send me an identical 3090ti back to me, and avoided all of this.
Take the money and go to CEX to buy a used 3090ti fe from there for £910 or a 3090 for £700 and you will get a 2 year warranty with it as you clearly need a Nvidia card with 24GB and a 4090 is as you said £500 more.

Call it a lesson learned, I'm in same boat as you I have 2 x 3090 in Nvlink for my work and purchased a 3rd one as a spare for this reason as I need to have dual card setup and they need to be the same make and model for the Nvlink bridge to fit as all 3090/ti's are not the same where they place the fingers for the Nvlink.

You entitled to think whatever you like, but after their first offer I am allowed to be sceptical of any other offers they provide me. I not looking for a free upgrade as you imply, I would have loved for them to just send me an identical 3090ti back to me, and avoided all of this.

Typically though business' wont stock old stock on something like GPU's in the off chance a warranty claim is made, it's sitting stock thats depreciating if it isnt sold. Take the money, add £50 and goto a competitor (google is your friend) and buy a 3090ti for £1139. You've been given a more than reasonable offer (finally) and now you are drawing this out.

Last edited:
I would push them to give you full ticket price. Maybe involve ombudsman if needed. They will cave eventually
That's not fair either though on the retailer. The only reason now would be goodwill after the initial derisory offer. The ombudsman wont force them to give a full refund, consumer law is quite clear that after 6 months you cant expect a full refund.

Last edited:
Typically though business' wont stock old stock on something like GPU's in the off chance a warranty claim is made, it's sitting stock thats depreciating if it isnt sold. Take the money, add £50 and goto a competitor (google is your friend) and buy a 3090ti for £1139. You've been given a more than reasonable offer (finally) and now you are drawing this out.

They are refurbished cards with warranty too and one is an open box only, so a good call .

Last edited:
That's not fair either though on the retailer. The only reason now would be goodwill after the initial derisory offer. The ombudsman wont force them to give a full refund, consumer law is quite clear that after 6 months you cant expect a full refund.
Well is it though? Only thing I can find is that after 6 months it should be repaired within 30 days. Where does it specify the deduction can be made?
I agree its quite ****** for a retailer, but at the same time, you pay a lot of money for a product that is supposed to work for 3 years under warranty. If there is no equivalent replacement, why would I accept less money that I paid for? I am pretty sure its standard in the EU.

Last edited:
The initial offer was pretty poor, and it's a shame that they won't be able to either repair or replace it on the same terms it was bought for... however the partial refund which they have now offered seems fair to me, even if it's still a hassle.

Last edited:
This is the main reason I don't buy from OcUK. I don't think anyone else does this.

This is why I said this op's post has been eye opening I didn't think OCUK did that either and why I like shopping with them.

If we did that at my work with the equipment and servers we sell and setup we would be in court all the time and loosing business. Something breaks we send it off for warranty repair or replacement if not we refund or at our cost replace the item for like for like. People I work with here are shocked by this and were like geeze can you imagine if we did that ?

Anyways ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well is it though? Only thing I can find is that after 6 months it should be repaired within 30 days. Where does it specify the deduction can be made?
I agree its quite ****** for a retailer, but at the same time, you pay a lot of money for a product that is supposed to work for 3 years under warranty. If there is no equivalent replacement, why would I accept less money that I paid for? I am pretty sure its standard in the EU.
It is.

Citizens Advice suggest that it's up to the seller what is offered, even under Consumer Rights

1706878987953.png

This is why I said this op's post has been eye opening I didn't think OCUK did that either and why I like shopping with them.

If we did that at my work with the equipment and servers we sell and setup we would be in court all time and loosing business. Something breaks we send it off for warranty repair or replacement if not we refund or at our cost replace the item for like for like. People I work with here are shocked by this and were like geeze can you imagine if we did that ?

Anyways ... :rolleyes:
My point exactly. And then they will wonder why we will have 1 certain retailer in 10 times times. When it was time to scalp pricing gpu all was fine, but suddenly you cannot get full ticket price on an item that cannot be replaced like for like.

People talk like OCUK is going to be out of pocket and the customer is the one taking advantage :cry:

What do you think OCUK get from MSI? Do you think they get a partial refund as well?

No, obviously not.

So making these 'offers' for this or that card, or some arbitrary amount of money, OCUK are getting a second opportunity for profit out of one transaction.

Last edited:
@RTids Regarding getting a B-Grade as a replacement - A lot of companies will send a refurbished unit, I know Dell does this and others so it doesn't mean you'll get something in bad condition - I'm sure you could always reject that if it did arrive in an unacceptable state. As for the warranty only being 90 days - I don't think it should be... see this is a bit of an odd situation, is the replacement an MSI card? Why are MSI not dealing with this since the card is past the first 6 months? When I had to RMA my Intel CPU then the warranty which applied to the original CPU was transferred onto the replacement, it didn't restart or become shorter or anything like that, you still only had the remainder of the original warranty and afaik that's fair. That said I have RMA'd items and the company has basically restarted the warranty on the replacement which I think is really above and beyond and I wouldn't expect that tbh.

As for the money they've offered... I think it's pretty good. I can see your point of view that you'd "need" to buy a 4090, but really what you have currently is a second hand 3090Ti and that's what the money should be able to buy you. Obviously there's an attachment to your current card, you know its condition, you've had it since new, etc and you wouldn't be replacing it if it wasn't for the fact it was broken, but I still reckon the pay out they are offering is very decent.

Have you asked them why MSI wont do board level repair on this?

If you sold a working 3090ti on MM you'd probably get no more than £700 for it. That is what your card is worth now. If you bought the gainwsrd 4090 now you would get a massive upgrade for effectively £300+ off. You paid £400 for the use of a top end card for over a year and a half. I know you don't want to spend the money now, but if you use that card professionally like it sounds like you do getting the 4090 is surely the way to go. Buy the 4080 as a stop gap and you'll be down another £200+ when you sell it

Last edited:
The first offer was awful.

B grade 4080 is still a bit iffy. How much warranty would you get? likely not what you had left on your 3090ti i bet... - should be new really.

The refund doesn't seem too shabby, To be honest, i would likely just take that and buy a 40880 super, or get a stop gap and put it towards a 5090 or something.

Back
Top Bottom