• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 3090ti RMA'd, B Grade 4070ti offered as a replacement

While the final offer is actually a decent one (£1100) the whole journey to get there and some of my experience this last 1-2 years with OCUK has demonstrated that the customer service has become really bad, from the time taken to even respond right down to the resolution. I've always shopped here since 2008 and directed friends to OCUK for the good customer service in the past.Right up until 2021 the customer service had been on point and even exceeded my expections most of the time but i feel there has been some managerial guidelines/influence on the service and maybe some cutback which has really harmed it to the point where I dont think i'ld buy big ticket items from OCUK unless i have to because if i run into any issues the customer service is so bad now.

OP posted this on reddit first and didn't make any mention of the 24GB VRAM being essential, but was wrongly advised in the comments to say so because they would have to give him a 4090 if they had no 3090 TI's in stock which was never going to happen. Unfortunately OP bought a fast depreciating product which is only worth £700 used now, so the partial refund of £1092 is more than generous and pushing for more is just being greedy. The initial offer was a little lowball but not that bad, if I had to choose between a 3090 Ti and a 4070 Ti I'd pick the 4070 Ti personally due to the massively better power efficiency.

Unfortunately OP bought a fast depreciating product which is only worth £700 used now, so the partial refund of £1092 is more than generous and pushing for more is just being greedy.

While I agree the refund they’ve offered seems more sensible than a 4070 Ti, surely it shouldn’t matter whether it’s a fast depreciating product. It was extremely expensive and under warranty.

While I agree the refund they’ve offered seems more sensible than a 4070 Ti, surely it shouldn’t matter whether it’s a fast depreciating product. It was extremely expensive and under warranty.

This

Also, a b grade 4070ti was a derisory offer. I don't think they should be able to get away with such low ball offers like that. It isnt as fast, would have a lesser warranty, and half the vram. Clearly not a like for like replacement.

Last edited:
This

Also, a b grade 4070ti was a derisory offer. I don't think they should be able to get away with such low ball offers like that. It isnt as fast, would have a lesser warranty, and half the vram. Clearly not a like for like replacement.
It's a like for like replacement in market value though due to other things like DLSS 3.5, AV1 encoding and massively better power efficiency, so I don't see how it was a derisory offer.

It's a like for like replacement in market value though due to other things like DLSS 3.5, AV1 encoding and massively better power efficiency, so I don't see how it was a derisory offer.

It isn't up to the retailer to decide which features a customer is interested in. There could be numerous reasons someone does want the 24gb and the better 4k performance.

Also, the warranty on a b grade would not be acceptable either.

I agree that the refund offered seems fair, but the b grade 4070ti was not.

Last edited:

It's nowhere near a like for like replacement. 24GB card vs 12GB card vs a card that can be NVLINK-ed and also a B-grade card with 90 days warranty.

I wouldn't except that offer and would have been fuming. The refund offer was the only sensible thing offered, even the 4080 B-grade is not a like for like. VRAM is king depending what you are doing with the GPU, I use mine for work and need 48GB of VRAM and why I have 2 x 3090's Nvlink-ed.

It's like saying hey you purchased a Ferrari but now it's worth X according to us (retailer) but still in warranty but can't repair or replace it, here we have a B-grade Lada with 90 day warranty.. Honestly it was insulting the first and second offer, the refund was the only acceptable offer as you can use that to purchase the same item again used or refurbished/open box elsewhere with 2 year warranty.

It's like saying hey you purchased a Ferrari but now it's worth X according to us (retailer) but still in warranty but can't repair or replace it, here we have a B-grade Lada with 90 day warranty.. Honestly it was insulting the first and second offer, the refund was the only acceptable offer as you can use that to purchase the same item again used or refurbished/open box elsewhere with 2 year warranty.

Its a bit like buying a transit sized van from a car manufacturer, and then them claiming they can't fix it or replace it so all they can give you is a slightly newer but slower hatchback with less warranty.

You bought the van for the space, yet the manufacturer thinks you should only care about the BHP and that it has four wheels.

Wouldn't the warranty from the original purchase carry over to the replacement card?
A direct manufacturer replacement: they usually do carry over, even if the replacement is refurbished, but a (b-grade) replacement in this context: probably not.

Last edited:
It isn't up to the retailer to decide which features a customer is interested in. There could be numerous reasons someone does want the 24gb and the better 4k performance.

Also, the warranty on a b grade would not be acceptable either.

I agree that the refund offered seems fair, but the b grade 4070ti was not.
Agreed, but the retailer is allowed to offer a replacement with the same market value if they don't have a specific card in stock and the customer is allowed to say no if it isn't suitable and get a partial refund. Would it have been less insulting if they bought a used 3090 Ti for £650-£700 and offered to send him that instead?

Agreed, but the retailer is allowed to offer a replacement with the same market value if they don't have a specific card in stock and the customer is allowed to say no if it isn't suitable and get a partial refund. Would it have been less insulting if they bought a used 3090 Ti for £650-£700 and offered to send him that instead?

Probably not a used one they randomly bought off someone no. If they could source a manufacturer refurbished one and agree to honour the remainder of the original warranty, then yes that would have been fine.

A professionally/manufacture refurbished 3090ti is worth more than a used 4070ti.

I
only bought one gpu from OC, never had n issue, but seeing these threads pop up now n again on here makes me think twice using them for a high value item

Yep, seems like the rule is it's not OK for the retailer to make a loss, but it IS OK for the buyer to make a loss.

And I'm not sure the retailer makes a loss anyway, won't they get credit/replacement from the manufacturer for the defect item?

Last edited:
I

Yep, seems like the rule is it's not OK for the retailer to make a loss, but it IS OK for the buyer to make a loss.
200w.gif

Back
Top Bottom