• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 4070 12GB, is it Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To put simply, below is the reality of how Nvidia overpriced their cards this gen:
Step 1: Release 4090 at £1600
Step 2: At £1200 for which the price for 4080ti/4090 SE should be at, a "genius" at Nvidia suggested to bait and switch and sell a true 4070 16GB as "4080 16GB" at that price, with the true 4080 16GB gone MIA.
Step 3: At £850+ instead of a selling a true 4080 16GB, sell a true 4060Ti 12GB as "4070ti 12GB"
Step 4: At £599+ instead of selling a true 4070 16GB, sell a 4060 12GB as "4070 12GB".

So in essence all the lower tier cards got pushed up by at least 1-2 tiers and people are getting far less for what they are paying for is due to the MIA of the 4080ti/4090SE and the true 4080 16GB, and anyone not buying 4090 are getting ripped off by Nvidia (4090 is still a rip-off, but in a difference sense as it is aim toward those that will always pay for the best).

Nah. It ain't that. The poor sales is because of the economy!

Gaming at 4k with a 4070 with dlss quality better than native, fsr is no comparison on a radeon. I wouldn't pay £800 for the 4070 ti with same memory config and radeon is out due to inferior upscaling. 12gb is more than enough, ignore the drama.
I do understand the negativity towards this card and Nvidia in general but I'm still quite tempted to buy it.

The negativity seems to stem from the fact that the increase in performance from the previous gen isn't as large as usual and the increase in price is greater than what we're used to (especially when the narrative I'd heard seemed to have been that prices are getting back towards "normal" following the pandemic). These are good reasons to provide negative reviews but for myself, if I've decided I want to spend about £1000-1200 on a solid upgrade (everything bar case and PSU really), is there a more appropriate card right now? Current build: i5-4690K + GTX 970

I'm asking here as everything I've read makes me want to find the better option but I'm not finding it. The 6950 XT is the obvious comparison but despite many articles saying it's the same price as a 4070, I haven't seen it any cheaper than £650 so it's a considerably larger chunk of my budget than £550 for the 4070 and quite comparable in gaming performance. The 7900 XT has the 4070 handily beaten but it's £200 more. Then as far as I can tell from benchmarks, the 4070 seems to beat the 3080, has slightly more VRAM and is available cheaper than the 3080 still.

So basically, I'm trying to separate the issue of whether Nvidia has done a poor job (I would agree that they have) and whether for someone in my situation, there is anything better? The 12GB VRAM does seem low considering how quickly VRAM requirements have increased in the last 10 years but again, I feel like I'd have to spend quite a bit more to fully alleviate this issue. Thoughts?

I am willing to wait on the 7800XT and 7700XT, and see what is offered, as AMD hardware, VRAM specifically, and not just its drivers, have aged like fine wine, while Nvidia, the 3070/3070Ti, not so much.

I'm happy with it, got it running undervolted to 1.0v, 2950mhz on the core, 23000 on the memory. Highest temp reached 58C. The card is whisper silent, draws next to no power (relatively speaking) and no coil whine.

Coming from a 2080 that was 4 years old and running quite hot, this is a nice step up. I'll be replacing it in a year or two anyway, it'll do until then.
I would imagine that using dlss & FG you will be able to skip a generation again and buy the Nvidia 6000/AMD9000 gen, enjoy

Gaming at 4k with a 4070 with dlss quality better than native, fsr is no comparison on a radeon. I wouldn't pay £800 for the 4070 ti with same memory config and radeon is out due to inferior upscaling. 12gb is more than enough, ignore the drama.

Your flatulence must pass without so much as a squeak. :D

I would imagine that using dlss & FG you will be able to skip a generation again and buy the Nvidia 6000/AMD9000 gen, enjoy
Yeah, maybe... It all depends on how much of a deal the next generation is. Tried some games today at 3440x1440, FH5 for example, all maxed out as much as possible, capped at refresh rate. Also tried ACC at 5120x1440 and compared to the 2080, I was able to up the settings quite a bit and still hit 100+fps. Will try The Last of Us tonight, maybe some other games. But yeah, not complaining at all.

As much as people are raising legitimate concerns about how well the 12GB of vram will hold up in years to come and the lack of performance increase from gen to gen in my book its people who paid over £1000 for 3080/ti, and over £900 for 3070/ti that encouraged Nvidia to release a card like the 4070 at its price point
This is why its important not to buy one else it will encourage Nvidia to continue this practice going forward rather than letting Nvidia know it was only the miners who were happy to overpay.

I have to agree that, now that the xt is cheaper than the 70ti it looks like the better buy. I stil wouldnt buy cause of the lack of dlss but for people that think it's a gimmick, xt is definitely the card to get
Depends on how good FSR 3 is, then the DLSS 3 advantage is negated, just have to find out to what extent.

Depends on how good FSR 3 is, then the DLSS 3 advantage is negated, just have to find out to what extent.

They really need hit that one out of the park. Get that right and have great support like DLSS does by next gen and that will help a lot with sales.

As mentioned before, I can stomach slower RT, but not an inferior upscaling tech. The sad thing is, it has been shown FSR can be just as good if not better than DLSS. But then you get a big title like Resident Evil 4 come along and AMD let a relatively poor version of FSR ship with it. Had it have been a good implementation people would not have to make a mod for the game to get DLSS working on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom