• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RTX 4070 12GB, is it Worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The prices of NVME drives are quite simply ridiculous right now and are only going one way.

Which is great for myself, as soon as a 4tb Gen 4 with 6000+ R/W speeds hits £200 I'll get one for my Legion laptop as my Gamepass/Steam drive.

Christ, what I paid for my Legion 4080 on march 4, if I paid the same money now I'd get a 4090.

I knew the price would drop a month or two down the line but if I wanted to swap the 4080 for a 4090 at the time, it would have £650 more.

When Nvidia does MCM designs it will be the second coming!

D6wnr03.jpg

His fault with his obsession with RT. If a game is not good enough to hold my attention on medium settings,even if it looks fantastic on the highest settings its a tech demo for me. I can always run it again on better settings when I have faster hardware a few years later.

Because he was right about AMD repeating screwing up launches doing dumbarse things,something I have moaned about for years. He also missed some more egregious screwups during that period,which I almost felt like chiming in on. Even Zen1 had a disastrous launch when it came to the platform.

AMD has the ability to clutch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Though would it not be fair to say it is not a fault if that is what rocks his boat? I mean personally I agree with you. But we all like different things.

I like RT, but I ain't paying silly money for it. Only game that I would need the extra performance is Cyberpunk PT. As I said before, I think I will pass :cry:

Though would it not be fair to say it is not a fault if that is what rocks his boat? I mean personally I agree with you. But we all like different things.

I like RT, but I ain't paying silly money for it. Only game that I would need the extra performance is Cyberpunk PT. As I said before, I think I will pass :cry:

Shrugs. In the end looking at how both companies are trying a fast one on newer generation dGPUs and CPUs,trying their best to upsell stuff,etc its quite clear they want you to pay beyond the odds for things if you want to be on the cutting edge. So in the end if you can "only" play games on uber RT,4K,240HZ,etc then you have pretty much forced yourself into having to pay that tax. Its like saying you only want to buy food from Harrods,and Sainbury's is downmarket. No doubt both charge more than Lidl,but Harrods costs much more.

It's the same in games themselves,where the monetisation makes more money than the original purchase.

This is the big issue why PCMR can't effectively resist these moves. The barrier for resistance is so low,people cave in very quickly because of FOMO.

Last edited:
Even the steam hardware survey screwed up. Not as many nvidia sales as people fapped over last month, back under the rock they go (deafening silence). The regular person isn't going to pay these prices, so far the FOMO crowd and die hards who would blindly buy anyway have purchased. Now they are going to have to work for their sales!

Even the steam hardware survey screwed up. Not as many nvidia sales as people fapped over last month, back under the rock they go (deafening silence). The regular person isn't going to pay these prices, so far the FOMO crowd and die hards who would blindly buy anyway have purchased. Now they are going to have to work for their sales!

The most used graphics card by Steam users costs less than 200 dollars​

Valve has revealed the preferred components of players that choose to play on PC through Steam.​

The top 12 cards are all under £500. The RTX3070 is the only one which is above £400.

Last edited:

The top 12 cards are all under £500. The RTX3070 is the only one which is above £400.
Even a Xbox series s is more powerful lol.

So a 250 quid machine is actually better then the average gaming PC lol.

Let that sink in, hope people realize why devs don't care about the PC version when it comes to modern releases

Shrugs. In the end looking at how both companies are trying a fast one on newer generation dGPUs and CPUs,trying their best to upsell stuff,etc its quite clear they want you to pay beyond the odds for things if you want to be on the cutting edge. So in the end if you can "only" play games on uber RT,4K,240HZ,etc then you have pretty much forced yourself into having to pay that tax. Its like saying you only want to buy food from Harrods,and Sainbury's is downmarket. No doubt both charge more than Lidl,but Harrods costs much more.

It's the same in games themselves,where the monetisation makes more money than the original purchase.

This is the big issue why PCMR can't effectively resist these moves. The barrier for resistance is so low,people cave in very quickly because of FOMO.

Trouble is, even if everyone on this forum did what you say it would make little difference. People will do what they want. It's my money and I will spend it the way I want and all that :p

All you can do is vote with your wallet. An I guess in your case preech :p:cry:

Trouble is, even if everyone on this forum did what you say it would make little difference. People will do what they want. It's my money and I will spend it the way I want and all that :p

All you can do is vote with your wallet. An I guess in your case preech :p:cry:

Well I think you got it mixed up. Look at the sales of dGPUs? They have collapsed. Steam has only one over £400 dGPU in the top 12.

When I talk about PCMR,I mean the people on forums and social media like here. Most gamers in the realworld don't seem to care about uber RT,4K,240HZ,etc looking at the stats. Hardly anyone has a 4K monitor,ultrawide,etc. Most gamers are stuck on six core CPUs....I wonder why? ;)

PS5 sales are up - when console sales tend to start evening out after a few years. Nvidia and AMD are starting to reduce pricing of their dGPUs. PC dGPU revenue is not massively more than console revenue looking at the data from AMD/Nvidia last quarter. Considering that dGPUs are also sold in non-gaming devices it does tell you how bad things are.What does that tell you?

It's the ones on forums on this who preach uber RT,4K,240HZ and justify how they are "forced" to buy XYZ products and preach all the marketing bumpf. They preach to themselves how "they can't be without" XYZ feature. Preach pricing does not matter because they have back themselves into "they can't they be without" and defend rubbish moves like Turing V1,Ada Lovelace or even Zen3 overpricing. I know console owners who have more gumption than PCMR on here.

So any preaching I am doing is because I find the FOMO from PCMR rather amusing. In a market which is collapsing they still think its a sellers market. The marketing has really gotten ingrained in PCMR. It's becoming an echo chamber.

It doesn't seem to tally with I see mostly amongst normal gamers I know.

Last edited:
Well I think you got it mixed up. Look at the sales of dGPUs? They have collapsed. Steam has only one over £400 dGPU in the top 12.

When I talk about PCMR,I mean the people on forums and social media like here. Most gamers in the realworld don't seem to care about uber RT,4K,240HZ,etc looking at the stats. Hardly anyone has a 4K monitor,ultrawide,etc. Most gamers are stuck on six core CPUs....I wonder why? ;)

PS5 sales are up - when console sales tend to start evening out after a few years. Nvidia and AMD are starting to reduce pricing of their dGPUs. PC dGPU revenue is not massively more than console revenue looking at the data from AMD/Nvidia last quarter. Considering that dGPUs are also sold in non-gaming devices it does tell you how bad things are.What does that tell you?

It's the ones on forums on this who preach uber RT,4K,240HZ and justify how they are "forced" to buy XYZ products and preach all the marketing bumpf. They preach to themselves how "they can't be without" XYZ feature. Preach pricing does not matter because they have back themselves into "they can't they be without" and defend rubbish moves like Turing V1,Ada Lovelace or even Zen3 overpricing. I know console owners who have more gumption than PCMR on here.

Yep, on a 3070ti currently and once I upgrade to a AV1 capable gpu, I consider this to be the last gpu upgrade in the longest of time in my income era.

Saying that, even davinchi resolve performs better on a m series Mac and a Mac mini is cheaper then a single gpu from both vendors

So any preaching I am doing is because I find the FOMO from PCMR rather amusing. In a market which is collapsing they still think its a seller market. The marketing has really gotten ingrained in PCMR.

Did I? Last time I checked over 200K 4090's sold and that figure was from months ago. As I said, people will do what they want to do with their money.

I have said it many times. Nvidia need to go back to what they did with the 3000 series. Charge people like me £600-£700 for 3080 class performance and sell your buddy gpuzilla 3090 for more than double that for 15% extra performance :cry:

People that don't want to pay halo card moneys don't want to spend silly moneys as Nvidia is finding out with a lack of sales which is great to see.

But anyway, we have been through all that before. Nit sure what it had to do with my reply to Nexus which you quoted :)

Christ, what I paid for my Legion 4080 on march 4, if I paid the same money now I'd get a 4090.

I knew the price would drop a month or two down the line but if I wanted to swap the 4080 for a 4090 at the time, it would have £650 more.
This is why it’s better to wait, not even sure how Nvidia thought they could have £1200+ for a card which has the same performance gap to a 4090 that a 3070ti had to a 3090.

His fault with his obsession with RT. If a game is not good enough to hold my attention on medium settings,even if it looks fantastic on the highest settings its a tech demo for me. I can always run it again on better settings when I have faster hardware a few years later.

Have been thoroughly enjoying RT for the past 3 years now, 3080 grunt and dlss has made it possible, can't say the same for rdna 2 though..... The only game where I have chosen not to use RT is hogwarts since the game has a ton of visual artifacts and doesn't look as good with it on, everything else has been lovely, well except for the amd sponsored titles where RT has been meh but still an improvement none the less, given how badly raster effects are starting to age now with devs shifting their focus to RT for quick wins i.e. raster reflections missing entirely or just looking down right bad as they are spending less time in old gen tech now, looking back it was a wise decision to go with a gpu made for this in mind.

Would love a 4090 and don't really have a problem with the price for it tbh as unlike the 3090, it is actually worth the asking price but until we get more games where the rt grunt is needed AND actually worthwhile/good games, there is no need to switch and by that time, we'll probably have the next gen gpus out so either will be able to pick up a 4090 for cheaper or get a 5080 with dlss 4 and even better rt grunt :cool:

And just saying, I still haven't had any issues with vram at both 3440x1440 and 4k especially once games have been patched.... ;) :p :D :cry:

Unless, I do a tommy and try to max everything out and don't use dlss/fsr (ignoring that even ada and rdna 3 are ******** the bed due to lack of grunt in these scenarios) on launch day versions for well regarded broken games i.e.

3TvN32F.png

Damn that pesky vram!!!!

:cry:

Did I? Last time I checked over 200K 4090's sold and that figure was from months ago. As I said, people will do what they want to do with their money.

I have said it many times. Nvidia need to go back to what they did with the 3000 series. Charge people like me £600-£700 for 3080 class performance and sell your buddy gpuzilla 3090 for more than double that for 15% extra performance :cry:

People that don't want to pay halo card moneys don't want to spend silly moneys as Nvidia is finding out with a lack of sales which is great to see.

But anyway, we have been through all that before. Nit sure what it had to do with my reply to Nexus which you quoted :)

If you're lucky......

rehwjbh.png

P00jWCi.png

X3qQW1f.png

The fine wine will surely kick in any day now

VT3XNux.gif

Οn the hardware level, sure, nobody denies that. On the software level, big fat nope. A game using more vram sadly doesn't mean it will look better. In fact, going by latest releases, the more vram a game uses, the worse it looks.

Didn't you know, people rather keep on buying new hardware more often now just to be able to brute force/avoid issues though.... and even then, that doesn't work well nowadays so software methods are now required to overcome those hurdles too :cry:

Agree though, games aren't looking any better these days for the hardware requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom