• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*Rumour* 1070 Ti (Videocardz.com)

Associate
Providing both the price and performance sit between an overclocked 1070 and 1080 then this is a non-issue for me.

edit: almost all my AIB purchases have been made based on cooling/noise, and that still stands

Soldato
Providing both the price and performance sit between an overclocked 1070 and 1080 then this is a non-issue for me.

edit: almost all my AIB purchases have been made based on cooling/noise, and that still stands

Locking out the user from overclocking is not good though. It's your GPU, you should have the freedom to do what you want to it.
I myself isn't a big overclocker, I run my GPUs at stock most of the time but I wouldn't still like to buy a GPU that is locked.
The 1070Ti should easy be able to pass the 1080 with tweaks to the core.

Soldato
Locking out the user from overclocking is not good though. It's your GPU, you should have the freedom to do what you want to it.
I myself isn't a big overclocker, I run my GPUs at stock most of the time but I wouldn't still like to buy a GPU that is locked.
The 1070Ti should easy be able to pass the 1080 with tweaks to the core.

I both agree and disagree with you. Yes i agree with the part about you as a consumer being able to do whatever with the hardware you purchase but I also believe that any company can bring any product to market however they see fit and if locking it down if its what they deem necessary. The issue for me comes when consumers are dragged to court when they then find some way to alter the product they have purchased because the manufactor is being a big ****

Man of Honour
A poor decision none the less. That said with Pascal often there isn't a huge amount of overclocking headroom - the per card boost clock is usually within single digit percent of the max though that said slightly tweaking on mine means the difference between being able to hold around 2GHz and dropping back 1-2 speed bins when the card warms up a bit.

Soldato
This isn't going to go down well...
We are fairly confident that Nvidia is readying a GeForce GTX 1070 Ti graphics card that slip into its product lineup between the non-Ti variant and the higher-end GeForce GTX 1080. However, if you are hoping to squeeze out GTX 1080-like performance through overclocking, you might be in for a rude awakening—the latest rumors suggest Nvidia is locking the frequency on the GTX 1070 Ti.

Bearing in mind that none of this is official, the rumor traces back to two sources, and the reports are slightly conflicting. Eteknix says it heard from an "industry insider" that the GeForce GTX 1070 Ti will not support overclocking in any way, shape, or form. "In addition, we've been informed that Nvidia will not release any reference cards and all AIB (add-in-board) partner cards will be locked to the same speeds. However, price and aesthetics are expected to differ across partner cards," Eteknix says.

http://www.pcgamer.com/you-might-not-be-able-to-overclock-nvidias-geforce-gtx-1070-ti/

I'm not one for criticising other people's purchase choices, but anyone who supports such a cynical attempt to stifle the competition and the consumer should really think twice.

Soldato
Wonder if they are going to phase out the 1070 and 1080, and have the 1070Ti and 1080Ti sit in (or more likely closer to) their places. So they have two clear Vega beating cards.

Soldato
I can't see this being true and quite surprised to see Shankly caring, as he has stated he will never own Nvidia.

Like I told someone else. I still care and follow the PC platform. Just because I wouldn't buy nvidia does not mean I stop reading up on anything the PC platform had to offer.

You have a quoted post waiting for reply in another thread :p

Associate
Like I told someone else. I still care and follow the PC platform. Just because I wouldn't buy nvidia does not mean I stop reading up on anything the PC platform had to offer.

shankly, you need to follow Nvidia more closely! This thread about the 1070Ti has been going for more than a month :D

I can't see the problem if it doesn't overclock as a lot of people (including people on this forum) don't overclock anyway.

Looking at the OCUK shop there are plenty of 1070s in stock at the moment and I'm sure there will be good deals when and if the 1070Ti lands.

Soldato
I'm not one for criticising other people's purchase choices, but anyone who supports such a cynical attempt to stifle the competition and the consumer should really think twice.

Well the thing is, I need a new GPU and was waiting patiently for an AIB Vega 56, but where the hell are they? No word when or if they will come out so of course I will eventually give up and go back to NVidia. I don't think they are stifling anything, it is AMD's fault people like me are likely to do this.

Associate
Well the thing is, I need a new GPU and was waiting patiently for an AIB Vega 56, but where the hell are they? No word when or if they will come out so of course I will eventually give up and go back to NVidia. I don't think they are stifling anything, it is AMD's fault people like me are likely to do this.
Asus said end of October for Strix 56 but i suspect price will be higher than the reference card.

Caporegime
Building a pc for my nephew and budget wise i'm looking at 6gb 1060's however with this news I'm thinking it might be prudent to wait as surely 1070's are going to drop to near or around £300 after this because otherwise the gap between them all is going to be far too large!?

At the moment there is only a £100 gap between the 1070 and 1080 so where is going to slot in?

Soldato
Asus said end of October for Strix 56 but i suspect price will be higher than the reference card.

Fair enough but I will not touch ASUS with a bargepole so need something more concrete from other vendors. I also want to know whether the AIB 56's will just work out the box, as most people are under volting the reference cards and I cannot be arsed with all that. :D

Soldato

Like I said, it's all individual choice. A card that is deliberately locked wouldn't be my particular choice.

Back
Top Bottom