• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RYZEN DDR4 MEMORY, WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW!

Soldato
That reminds me, I couldn't even go that loose on timings. Wouldn't let me go higher than like 26.

It's like Asus intentionally gimped the other boards. I've used timings of 50 to try and reach 3600 but the use of any bclk higher than 100 gives me a boot loop. It let me put 50 in, don't know is if it actually worked though.

Soldato
Found something interesting last night. Aside from ryzen not liking my Corsair ram at anything above 2400 despite it being able to boot at 3200 Aida 64 found the instability in minutes literally less than 5. Meanwhile memtest took2 hours and the techpowerup memtest64 didn't find anything over 8 hours.

I've just ordered some gskill rgb 4266 and hope to have this sorted, been tweaking for weeks and I'm getting bored now. I do find it funny how my ram can theoretically run fast than my cpu though :)

Soldato
Found something interesting last night. Aside from ryzen not liking my Corsair ram at anything above 2400 despite it being able to boot at 3200 Aida 64 found the instability in minutes literally less than 5. Meanwhile memtest took2 hours and the techpowerup memtest64 didn't find anything over 8 hours.

I've just ordered some gskill rgb 4266 and hope to have this sorted, been tweaking for weeks and I'm getting bored now. I do find it funny how my ram can theoretically run fast than my cpu though :)

This is a case of understanding what tests are stressing what subsystem, AIDA can be very good at finding cache instability.

Soldato
This is a case of understanding what tests are stressing what subsystem, AIDA can be very good at finding cache instability.

I left only memory selected. Which found it even quicker. With all selected it took a while longer but still quicker than others and as mentioned the memtest64 went 8 hours without a fault. Weird how it can boot upto 3200 but not stable until down to 2400. Cold boots are also not a problem. I'll prob stick these on mm as they'd be no issue on an intel platform

Associate
I have had really interesting results using the information from that video. I can boot my Corsair LPX2x8GB CL16 memory @ 3200!!!
thumb.gif
!

I had it with dram v at 1.42 and soc offset 0.0875 - hard as I try I cannot get it stable, but it does give hope for the future.

The first time it worked my machine started the 3 beeps mem learning thing and I sighed as I waited for it to fail - but on the second or third attempt, it booted!

Prime 95 just kept failing, whatever I did, so I've given up for now, but learned much in the process.

My CB15 was 1750 with mem at 3200 - not much quicker than running @ 2933 CL14, but quicker! Latency was down to 70ns

Soldato
I have had really interesting results using the information from that video. I can boot my Corsair LPX2x8GB CL16 memory @ 3200!!!
thumb.gif
!

I had it with dram v at 1.42 and soc offset 0.0875 - hard as I try I cannot get it stable, but it does give hope for the future.

The first time it worked my machine started the 3 beeps mem learning thing and I sighed as I waited for it to fail - but on the second or third attempt, it booted!

Prime 95 just kept failing, whatever I did, so I've given up for now, but learned much in the process.

My CB15 was 1750 with mem at 3200 - not much quicker than running @ 2933 CL14, but quicker! Latency was down to 70ns

Same results I had. So at least we both know it's not a problem unique to us. Aida is even finding problems with my memory at 2400 now lol. But I can boot all the way to 3200. This makes me think if my cpu is actually better than it is and all stress test fails have been down to the memory. What I've learned with ryzen is even with unstable ram I don't get blue screens, just no monitor output code 8 on the mobo and flashing LEDs. A learning curve indeed.

Associate
teh_captainF4-3200C16D-16GVK) member: 11641 said:
Hi all, WWOcUKD?

I have upgraded to Ryzen (1700 & Taichi), and currently have 16Gb of G.Skill Ripjaws V (F4-3200C16D-16GVK) in my machine. I have clocked the CPU to 3.9GHz and it sits happily at 1.35v, but after a fair bit of tinkering I can't get the RAM any faster than 2133Mhz.

I have tried to use the XMP 2.0 profile which doesn't work, and also tried manually setting speed and timings. No matter what I do the machine will boot loop and go back to stock DDR4 speeds. I am aware there will be a microcode update in May, but i am toying with the idea of sending the RAM back for a refund and getting some new stuff, only because I'd rather be able to send it back and not have to flog it for less and get better stuff in the process.

I have read that the Trident Z kits work well, and i'm looking at some of the standard colour and RGB kits rated 3200 and over (as they're just binned differently right?) as some of the faster stuff isn't much more expensive.

I've also seen some of you guys recommending a couple of TeamGroup kits too, the Dark Pro stuff?

Cheers,
Tom

I have exact same RAM and I'm currently @ 2667Mhz (14-14-14-14-30 1T). I cant go above 2667mhz thou, because RAM is dual rank and 2T. Stupid Bios wont let me force 2T mode atleast now.

My specs:
R7 1700 @ 4GHz ( 1.434V)
MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Bios 1.4)
G.Skill Ripjaws V (F4-3200C16D-16GVK)
Nvidia GTX 1080

Soldato
I have exact same RAM and I'm currently @ 2667Mhz (14-14-14-14-30 1T). I cant go above 2667mhz thou, because RAM is dual rank and 2T. Stupid Bios wont let me force 2T mode atleast now.

I have dual rank running faster on CH6, have you tried using BLK 112.5 and ratio 35.75 with the DRAM speed set at 2666? Worked on my corsair dual rank 4 x 8GB... takes a little time to train but works fine, auto timings then lower once booting ok at 2999.

If that works try different ratios for 3200.

Associate
I have dual rank running faster on CH6, have you tried using BLK 112.5 and ratio 35.75 with the DRAM speed set at 2666? Worked on my corsair dual rank 4 x 8GB... takes a little time to train but works fine, auto timings then lower once booting ok at 2999.

If that works try different ratios for 3200.

MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon Mobo lacking BCLK option, also you can't change Command rate 1T to 2T. Actually the whole Motherboard is such a joke. 180€ and BIOS is missing half the options.

Soldato
MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon Mobo lacking BCLK option, also you can't change Command rate 1T to 2T. Actually the whole Motherboard is such a joke. 180€ and BIOS is missing half the options.

Just about every motherboar din the b350/x370 range has the same issue - manufacturers obviously weren't given much time before launch to get things right.

Soldato
Anyone with Gskill RGB memory DO NOT INSTALL ASUS AURA SOFTWARE
I recently found this out whilst changing colours. Now my 1 stick can be seen with a part number and the other has a corrupted part number and some other bits and pieces.
This can be resolved via typhoon burner but its best to not install it for now. I could not even copy my info over form the one "good" stick to the other because that also has corrupted hex keys also.
The developer of typhoon has corrected mine but this should not be happening. Gskill also wont admit that this is a problem, so if anyone has this you either need to RMA back to the retailer or use typhoon (paid version)

f0uc7.jpg

Soldato
Nope! Not even stable enough to do 1 cinebench run. Even with the CPU at stock, so at least to me it does not look like an IMC issue.
Back to 3.9 3200mhz CL14. Not that I can grumble at that.
AMD have stated more memory multipliers are coming so there is still hope :)

How are you finding the crosshair?

Back
Top Bottom