Samsung U28D590 mini review

Caporegime
OP
I feel for you guys who are having issues :( I had no issue with the supplied cable on a pair of Titans and I wanted a longer cable and bought a cheap £7, 3 meter cable and it also works with no issues. Nobody seems to have the answer and possibly cable/controller board/monitor or GPU. I hope they get to the bottom of it quickly.

Soldato
another thing I've just discovered - by running this monitor at 2560x1440, it will quite happily overclock to around 85-90hz (mine manages 87hz, at 88 it gets a bit twitchy)

Soldato
I have also just recieved the Samsung 28" 4k monitor and it also turns itself on and off since plugging it in.

My build is:

i7-4790k @ 4.7GHz/1.3v
16GB RAM @ 2400MHz
SLi EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX Superclock 6144MB
Cable that came with the monitor and other 1.2 cables

Edit: Also running Windows 8.1

Overclockers have said they would not RMA at the moment for me either as they believe it's an Nvidia/AMD driver issue.

I'm not particularly happy with the screen at the moment but looks beautiful when I can get it to work.

Last edited:
Soldato
There is a setting in the menus that will turn the monitor off after 4 hours use.

That has been adjusted to 23 hours as I couldn't see an option to turn it off.

However the screen turns off while in use. The display port selection flickers and then goes off. No picture, can't wake it by pressing any button or using the toggle switch at the rear and have to hard reset by unplugging the power cable and plugging it back in.

Not sure after this, the nvidia drivers are fine from what I can tell.

Soldato
That has been adjusted to 23 hours as I couldn't see an option to turn it off.

Huh? I'm looking at the thing right now. Go to Settings and Off timer and you should have two entries. The top one, 'Off Timer' has choices of On and Off, so just set it to Off.

However the screen turns off while in use. The display port selection flickers and then goes off.

How odd. I'm not seeing that. Remind me, are you using the DP cable that was in the box?

I have my PC set to sleep the monitor after 30 mins and the thing comes straight back up if I flick the trackball.

Soldato
Huh? I'm looking at the thing right now. Go to Settings and Off timer and you should have two entries. The top one, 'Off Timer' has choices of On and Off, so just set it to Off.

Yeah, for some reason the ON/OFF option was not working earlier. Got that sorted to Off now.

How odd. I'm not seeing that. Remind me, are you using the DP cable that was in the box?

I have my PC set to sleep the monitor after 30 mins and the thing comes straight back up if I flick the trackball.

I have used both the DP cable from the box and another and it's still not any better at the moment.

Soldato
Just got this monitor and plugged it in. Some games work ok some flicker. Is there a driver I need? I'm on EVGA 780s with scaling set to fullscreen and monitor.

Only driver you need is your GPU driver and not all games play nicely at 4K so the screen flickering happens, The actual game needs to be updated to support it sadly :(

Caporegime
OP
I think it is another one to add to the list of flickering. In all the games I tested, there wasn't any flickering and the only thing I did notice was Valley Bench had some white flecks popping up, which is a known bug.

Soldato
Yeah I get continuous flickering with solid gigabyte 3 and 4 way sli bridges but with single ribbon sli bridges in the far left sli connector only some games flicker like outdoors in skyrim. The ribbon cable in the right hand slot causes flickering constantly all the time.

Just can't connect cards using a solid bridge I guess........Tried 4 different bridges and 2 single width bridges in far left sli connector works best but ordered a new ribbon incase this is something I need.

EVGA might be able to provide me a bios for the gpus that makes the right hand sli connectors work for 4k too but I'm not sure.

Caporegime
OP
I wish they would get to the bottom of this. It happens on systems for both AMD and nVidia and I appreciate the tech is new but that doesn't help the guys who have issues. I am sure there will be a fix soon.

Soldato
Just to be clear with 1 card installed - either card Skyrim is flawless so it is an Nvidia SLI issue for some card models not a Samsung monitor issue :) Me trying a 5th new bridge out of curiosity tomorrow makes me feel a bit angry.

Caporegime
OP
Strange one. I have a flimsy old bridge that has been used for gawd knows how long and SLI or single never gave me an issue. I hope you are correct and it is a bridge thing bud :)

Back
Top Bottom