Scottish Elections Result

Associate
SNP is the right choice for Scotland just now so im glad they got a majority now lets see how they run the country over the next few years. Also hope we do get our vote on independence at the very least it will get the thing out the way so we can move on with either a yes or no to it.

I think it would be a sad day if the union was broken up, I can't stop thinking about how Hitler offered the riches of the world to Germany before WWII and yes, all was fine and merry for a few years while they built their new cities and statues and lived in some realm of hope but then corruption set in and the rest is history.

Caporegime
Jokester has already given you the answer;

?
And your next usual trick of ignoring something.

I'll spell it out for you. The conventional shelf treaty is ratified in international law, Scottish devolution is not. Regardless of whether or not plans for Scottish devolution have been made with clearly defined boundaries, it would still need international ratification, and it does not automatically follow that it would be done in this manner.

Caporegime
In all likelyhood, by the time Scotland gained independence, even if they voted for it within this parliament, the Euro will already be dead and buried!

This is true :). I'm just interested to know your thoughts though.

Trying to debate/talk something with Biohazard is often a less than fruitful experience.

Associate
Last I heard North sea oil production was forecast to pretty much halve over the next 9-10 years and is already about 60% of its peak level a decade ago. Its not an endless tap of tax revenues.

The argument over independence should not be about oil revenues

Don

I'll spell it out for you. The conventional shelf treaty is ratified in international law, Scottish devolution is not. Regardless of whether or not plans for Scottish devolution have been made with clearly defined boundaries, it would still need international ratification, and it does not automatically follow that it would be done in this manner.
The precedence has already been set though using the standard conventions.

Soldato
What will realism have to do with the SNP trying to push a yes vote on the referendum? And when has what a politician said in the past affected what they say in the future? The SNP will do everything they can to paint Westminster in a bad light in order to get the result they desire.

We will have to wait to see what happens in 4 years time. I expect that the SNP feel they have a lot to prove before they do that.

The SNP hasn't put everything Westminster do in bad light, I'm not saying they have been negitive in the past. But that's not the message we are getting after the election result. Let's just hope they don't do a Nick Clegg. :D

Don
This is true :). I'm just interested to know your thoughts though.

Trying to debate/talk something with Biohazard is often a less than fruitful experience.
The Euro would be a complete disaster for any small nation, including Scotland and has been proven to be with the likes of Ireland, Greece and Portugal (and soon to be bigger nations like Spain and Italy).

Caporegime
We will have to wait to see what happens in 4 years time. I expect that the SNP feel they have a lot to prove before they do that.

The SNP hasn't put everything Westminster do in bad light, I'm not saying they have been negitive in the past. But that's not the message we are getting after the election result. Let's just hope they don't do a Nick Clegg. :D
They do have a lot to prove - and I genuinely hope they can do so.

I'm not sure anyone could do as badly as Nick Clegg!

Permabanned
OP

Is this you in pedantic and attack character mode, yes?

Fine, have it your way.

The conventional shelf treaty is ratified in international law, Scottish devolution is not. Regardless of whether or not plans for Scottish devolution have been made with clearly defined boundaries, it would still need international ratification, and it does not automatically follow that it would be done in this manner.

Scottish waters are internationally recognised, CST was formed in the manner it was to reflect the sovereignty at the time.

Permabanned
OP
Last I heard North sea oil production was forecast to pretty much halve over the next 9-10 years and is already about 60% of its peak level a decade ago. Its not an endless tap of tax revenues.

The argument over independence should not be about oil revenues

It isn't, and no nationalist here brought up oil first co-incidently but if you aren't looking for such nuances you'll walk right past it...

Independence is not just about oil revenues, although that is clearly a proportion of the case.

See what you said about the oil fields - that myth has been regurgitated decade on decade for 40 years.

Oil will last for another 40 years at least, and iirc the oldest oil well in the world is still producing oil albeit in a now reduced fashion. 100+ years.

Caporegime
better hope your currency doesnt have much value seeing as the majority of your gdp seems to rely on exports, might suck for your citizens though :p

Back
Top Bottom